“Fantastic! Again . . . . . .”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I have been meaning to write this review for a long time but after spending a mediocre night at a supposed 5* hotel in Belfast, I feel I should give credit where it is due!

My first visit to the Beech-hill was in 2007 when I was looking for somewhere to have our wedding reception. Our priorities were simple, good food, room for 120, a comfortable environment for us and our guests and a bit of culture. The Beech-hill was perfect! We planned our wedding over the next two years and the help and attention to detail from all the staff was amazing. Over those two years we visited often with family and friends for Sunday lunch to help built up our personal relationship with the venue.

Our wedding was in August 2009 and was everything we could have wished for! It was like getting married in a posh, friendly version of home. As myself and my husband live in Edinburgh, we stayed in adjoining suites for the two nights in the lead up to the wedding. This was a lot of fun as on the day itself the french doors onto the gardens were open and family and friends milled between the two rooms making the day very special for us. Everything was like clockwork, our service was in Skipton Hall, photos were in the grounds and the reception was in the Marquee onsite. The food was fantastic and with the good weather we could not have asked for more. Our guests basically took over the hotel for the night and we started married life by walking into breakfast to a round of applause.

So fast forward one year and it is our first wedding anniversary, where else could we spend it???
When we rang up to book Suite 26 (the room we had on the night of our wedding), Brenda on reception remembered us and sounded so pleased that we were coming back to stay. We only felt guilty that we had not gone back sooner!
We arrived on Sunday afternoon after the drive from Belfast and the hotel was busy with a large party for lunch. We were treated like long lost children and were made to feel so special by Patsy, Brenda, Seamus and Conor. We had a sandwich in the lounge area and after a drive into Derry itself, we returned for a wee afternoon nap.

Room 26, it is sumptuous, roomy, comfortable, beautifully decorated and as for the bed . . . . All four mattresses on that bed make for a great sleep. I did have concerns though at some times that I could not find my hubby in the bed it was so big! If I could transport it back to our flat I would!

We had dinner in the restaurant as part of the room rate and it was one of the best meals we have had there. The breads are to die for and I would especially recommend the white soda and the banana bread. My husbands starter of foie gras was lovely and I had a starter of duck with oriental style veg. The menu is based around local produce and is substantial and elegant. The winning main course was pork belly served three ways and served with champ. We decided to have our desserts in our room and these were brought up in due course. What a surprise then to see the plates had been decorated in chocolate to say 'happy 1st wedding anniversary'! It is these little details that make the stay special and many other establishments would do well to pay heed!

As other reviewers have said, due to the lovely grounds, you can easily wander around and spend a leisurely hour or two. We only stayed the one night and it was a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. We hope to be back soon!!!

Thank you again to Patsy and Co for making our stay so enjoyable and I hope other guests enjoy their stay as much as we have!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayeD

Reviewed 9 August 2010

The hotel and gounds look lovely upon arrival. The staff were very polite and helpful and answered all our questions. Our room was clean and contained beautiful furniture. We enjoyed a delicious meal at the hotel, while service was slow it just allowed us more time to enjoy each course. The staff were only to glad to bring dessert and tea/coffee to our room at a later time. We had a really relaxing break and enjoyed a walk in the grounds.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I cannot let this go. We came as a low budget group trip to the Foyle Cup. The hotel is within 8 min of the city walls. It espouses the height of grandure and could offer a vacation without leaving the grounds. We were treated better than myself and my wife were in most top hotels despite us paying top rate. The hotel refuses to lower its standards regardless of the return. i have already booked my wifes parents in for a long weekend knowing that they will have an experience of a lifetime. It is no wonder that Bill Clinton and the Kennedy's chose here to stop while visiting Ulster.
Anselm

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Stayed again at Beech Hill the staff are by far the most helpful and friendly we have ever encountered. The food is fantastic and the rooms are wonderful the staff are more than helpful and will do everything to make your stay fantastic. We are just back from a stay in a 5 star hotel in Belfast it did not come close to the service food in Beech Hill. This hotel is ideal for couples wanting peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I has the pleasure of staying at The Beech hill hotel recently due to business arrangements. As this was my first trip to Derry, I was quite excited to see the City that has recently been awarded the City of Culture.
From the welcome on arrival, to the exceptionally comfortable room I was immediately impressed by been welcomed to homemade scones and coffee!
The staff are very friendly and could not do enough to make my stay more comfortable. Being a busines lady travelling alone I found the service and the product offering to be second to none. An excellent menu choice for both breakfast and dinner with an extensivce choice.
This is a family run hotel and to be met by the owner on check in says a lot about the the customers perception.
I will definetely return again in the future

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel over the recent bank holiday weekend. We were on the verge of cancelling after reading some of the reviews on this website. But we decided to go ahead with the reservation and could not have been happier! We were greeted very warmly by Brenda the receptionist which put our negative reservations at ease. Our room was clean and was filled with gorgeous antique furniture and overlooked the hotel's beautiful gardens. We had dinner in the restaurant which was month-wateringly good, I'll definitely be back! The staff were extremely friendly and very efficient, nothing was a problem. Overall our stay was very peaceful and pleasurable. Me and my husband liked it so much we have booked ourselves in for a weekend stay in August!

Reviewed 4 July 2010

Upon arrival to this hotel from the outside I thought this is going to be a fantastic hotel, boy was I mistaken! The receptionist had a bad attitude and had to be prompted on basic information guests need like what time breakfast is served, where our room was and where and when we could use hotel facilities (fitness centre).

With regards to the cleanliness of the rooms I had to clean the toilet in our room before using, Pubic hair and urine is completely unacceptable! The overall decor in the room, was dated and reminiscent of faulty towers. WIFI signal very poor. Dont expect a decent shower either, the water was cold and fixtures (curtain and rail) fell apart while using. With outdoubt the worst room I have ever stayed in and I am disguisted I paid £135 for this 'superior' type room type, I wouldnt like to see a 'standard' room.

Food was very good but service slow. As for the gym, half the machinery doesnt work and is covered in dust and cob webs. I have a notion that the staff sleep in samll box rooms just off the gym, as staff where constantly coming through the gym to make up beds in small box rooms, unless these are the 'standard' rooms.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, consider camping in a tent for the night it would be cleaner, more comfortable and you would get a better nights sleep.

3  Thank Andyrock