“Brilliant apartments on the river”
Review of BT48 Apartotel

BT48 Apartotel
Ranked #11 of 22 Speciality Lodging in Derry
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
“Brilliant apartments on the river”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Fantastic location, staff really helpful, 2 bed penthouse spotless and great value. A great place right on the quay close to everything and with free parking . If you can get a river view that just makes it. Would go back!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank rosiebell42

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I booked a room for our daughter who was celebrating her 22nd birthday. As a surprise we decorated the room with 3 ballons and a small birthday banner and light refresments. There was no alcohol. My daughter and a girlfiend went to change in the room before dinner and were met by a rude irrate owner who informed them that there were no parties here and to go and collect their money. He then telephoned my wife and verbally bullied her. He then informed my daughter to get out! We were given no chance to explain.
THE WELCOME MY DAUGHTER RECEIVED WAS ABUSIVE, UNJUSTIFIED AND RUDE.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
15 Thank DermotM123

Travellers are raving about these Derry hotels

St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Unusually I did not check the reviews on trip advisor before I booked - wish I had. I had phoned earlier in the week to try to cancel, having read the reviews but was told I would be charged the full amount. Might have been the better option. I had also asked for a river view apartment - was told not many available but would 'do their best'. I then upgraded to a penthouse as I expected they were all river views. When we got there our apartment was at the front and I got very little sleep because of the traffic noise (as warned on this website). The apartment was not clean and not very well equipped. The one upside was the clean and comfortable bed. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: A river view apartment is fairly essential. Also there is a newer block at the rear which looks clea...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank 222_13
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We booked two apartments and it was a brilliant option for a big group. The shower was great- nice and powerful. They had all the necessary utensils and cutlery. The manager was so helpful and accomodating, and the location is brilliant. (Be aware that the nightclub across the road "Earth" is only for 17 year olds). One negative thing- the couches were a little grubby and it was obvious from the smell of the cushions, that people sleep on the couches. We weren't in Derry to sit in all day so it was only a minor detail. I would stay there again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Room 13 was so spacious but the noise from the road was quite loud.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great location on the Strand road - however there is a large pub opposite which is very noisy at night - especially weekends- so you cannot open a window.
Whist the apartment was clean and comfortable, there were a number of negatives to our visit.
We had no hot water in the morning for a shower as no one had told us how it worked and there were no instructions in the apartment.
There was no phone in our apartment so I had to use my mobile to ring reception !
None of the security doors from the car park were locked which defeats the purpose of them as anyone could enter the building.
There was no welcome pack - no map of Derry, details of City of Culture events or pubs/restaurants which was disappointing. I was told later that they were available at reception but we were not offered any.
On checkout, again there were no instructions so we did not know what to do with the keys. There was no one in reception and we ended up leaving them with a maintenance man that we happened to meet in the building.
None of these are issues which cannot be resolved so come on BT 48, get organised and help to make your guests visits more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the side of the building to avoid the noise of the traffic and the pub.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkblackski
York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed here for one night Derry was busy that weekend and didn't have much choice , on the surface things seemed ok , but when we went to prepare to go out there was no hot water despite having put the heater on. which we were not told about we had to discover this ourselves. we were running late as we had to wait for the water so my son would have a quick bath while we had shower. however the shower stopped working when we ran the bath, I mean absolutely stopped . the sink in the bathroom was hanging of the wall , There were stains all over the sofa ! the carpets were filthy, underneath us there was an apartment with a hot tub & bar , we thought we were lucky on returning as all was quiet, however this didn't last as we were woken in the early hours with 2 couples drinking, music full blast, shouting mostly foul language this went on until 8 am! at least it blocked out the traffic noise and other night revellers! If you are young and don't mind any of this then this is ok for you .
otherwise avoid at all costs

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank sunbatherYork
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

What we were hoping was going to be a great family weekend for our first time in Ireland was ruined by this property. We were made to feel very welcome by the manager on site on check in which was a misleading start. We left our bags in the rooms quickly as we were rushing out to meet others. When we arrived back, first thought was the bathroom was dirty. After looking around a little realised sofas and table were dusty, found a condom wrapper between the sofa cushions, and realised the kitchen door handle (fire door) was broken hence being propped open. Visited another apartment that my Mum was staying in with her husband and my younger brother, the pots had all been left in dishwasher from the previous users, they had had no hot water, and the bath water turned the shower off completely. Cupboards were full of random junk, including a used tub of paint and a stains all over the carpets. Luckily we were only staying one night, however to make the most of the facilities we had paid for, we had decided to cook breakfast for everyone in the third apartment we had. The tray in the oven was dirty, so full of dried fat it was touching the grill tray, the oven hob had no markings on so you couldn't tell which worked which ring or how high they were on, the grill didn't work, the kitchen bin was as much use as a chocolate fire guard so we ended up with rubbish all over the floor, and we had no hot water in this apartment either. The noise from the nightclub opposite continues well on until 3am where the locals then hang around the two takeaway spots for the night. My grandad did leave early that morning, thankfully, as we later witnessed some guy rolling a joint on the staircase and then walked through the smell all the way back up to collect our bags! No-one around on check-out on Sunday but no where to leave the keys, all just left lying around on the floor. After speaking with the owner he did refund us for one of our three rooms after arguing that I was just complaining and that it is up to his cleaners to make sure the rooms are kept clean not him and when I said about what I found on the sofa his response was 'yes but you were moved from that room'. Yes I was but not the point. It gave me no confidence in the cleanliness of the rooms and for us to be paying what was a lot of money for nothing other than what turned to be just somewhere to sleep when the noise from outside stopped. Never again and would strongly recommend you search elsewhere. This owner obviously has too much money to care about the hygiene and consideration for paying customers. After working in hospitality for over 10 years this is definitely my worst experience of accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family