“Hellhole”
Review of BT48 Apartotel

BT48 Apartotel
Ranked #12 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Derry
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Cannot emphasise how poorly we were treated. We were part of the group of 50 who booked individually as part of a motorcycle charity event. The young girl at reception worked really hard to put things right but her compadre was just rude and ignorant, at one point telling my partner to her face that she was lying when she said she had booked an apartment for four with a double and two single beds! (good job I wasn't there when he said that). To be told at midnight when we returned from the chinese restaurant that the promised duvet for the girl who had offered to sleep on the floor because the sofa bed was broke and not to bother looking for a refund because we wouldnt get one was just the icing on the cake and everyone had similar stories to tell, some being treated even more shabbily than we were!!!! Good job us bikers are an easy going bunch!!!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
18  Thank SteG7570TF

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Note, Names have been changed to hide the identity of those involved.
A large crowd of us booked into the BT48, party of approx 50. We had booked individually with months notice, Simple enough you would think!!! Not in this hell hole.. Arriving at the hotel the young girl behind the counter was unable to deal process us through the inadequate system due to poor staffing and the previous neglect from the Muppet who took the bookings. Staff holidays, sickness and an absent manager all attributed to what we experienced next. I think approx 20% of us actually had accommodation. It would seem the Muppet who took the bookings didn't actually do things,luckily for him he was no where to be seen, I guess the attitude was, I wont be there who cares! We all tried to keep our calm, bearing in mind the young girl behind the counter was doing her best and was now quite hoarse and loosing the will to live, We accepted our room, 4 of us.. we had booked accommodation for 4.. assuming there was 4 places for 4 people to lay their weary heads and aching derryaire's. We had just ridden 200 miles for charity,spoke to the public, stroked puppies and held newborn babies.. all in the name of publicity.

We gets to our room.. 1 double, 1 single, and a couch.. (bed settee).. we didn't mind, after all its a bed right? I didn't work, so, being knackered and easy going i said, hey, floor will do.. i'll just get a duvet. I had agreed to take the floor, cos my roomie was at least 11 inch's taller than me with size 9 kebs.,. I wasn't taking any chances. The other two I could tell they were in for an action packed night and Gulliver and I had seen enough disturbing things in the lobby.

Off we popped for our dinner to a local Chinese restaurant.. hours late but that wasn't so bad, I dont think any of us could of listened to another Happy Birthday tribute done the Elvis way! Returning to our hotel we discovered that the sofa bed, still broken still didn't have a duvet on it. I was to freeze.. Off i popped downstairs to speak to the fool, Gonzo! now holding fort at the reception. Me and Gulliver waited patiently as he spoke to another couple. Our turn now, I asked if there was a duvet? NO, no duvets he replied.. A blanket? NO, no blankets he replied. Gonzo then went on to inform me that it was our fault, we should of booked single rooms.... He just couldn't grasp the concept of 1 phone call requesting accommodation for 4 people.. Nope, we were still wrong. Trying to talk to Gonzo was becoming increasingly hard, he was now unable to understand basic words made up of 7 letters or less.. Ah, ive got children, Surely if i explain to him as i would them.. Look, if i ordered a chicken chow mein and you brought me a beef curry would that be my fault for you getting the order wrong? This was a loosing battle i was discovering, off we went to bed.. Goliath noticing that I take no prisoners offered me her duvet.. I accepted and she took the sheets that Gonzo had given us.. We had to tell him it was a toga party!! A place i certainly wont be back at, and will watch this review page with great delight.. 50 0f us stayed and im hoping most will leave feedback.

Oh and a bit tight on the old milks, teas and coffees.. you would expect 4 milks each, not 4 between ya.

15  Thank flipper_roo
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Fantastic location, staff really helpful, 2 bed penthouse spotless and great value. A great place right on the quay close to everything and with free parking . If you can get a river view that just makes it. Would go back!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank rosiebell42
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I booked a room for our daughter who was celebrating her 22nd birthday. As a surprise we decorated the room with 3 ballons and a small birthday banner and light refresments. There was no alcohol. My daughter and a girlfiend went to change in the room before dinner and were met by a rude irrate owner who informed them that there were no parties here and to go and collect their money. He then telephoned my wife and verbally bullied her. He then informed my daughter to get out! We were given no chance to explain.
THE WELCOME MY DAUGHTER RECEIVED WAS ABUSIVE, UNJUSTIFIED AND RUDE.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank DermotM123
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Unusually I did not check the reviews on trip advisor before I booked - wish I had. I had phoned earlier in the week to try to cancel, having read the reviews but was told I would be charged the full amount. Might have been the better option. I had also asked for a river view apartment - was told not many available but would 'do their best'. I then upgraded to a penthouse as I expected they were all river views. When we got there our apartment was at the front and I got very little sleep because of the traffic noise (as warned on this website). The apartment was not clean and not very well equipped. The one upside was the clean and comfortable bed. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: A river view apartment is fairly essential. Also there is a newer block at the rear which looks clea...
6  Thank 222_13
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We booked two apartments and it was a brilliant option for a big group. The shower was great- nice and powerful. They had all the necessary utensils and cutlery. The manager was so helpful and accomodating, and the location is brilliant. (Be aware that the nightclub across the road "Earth" is only for 17 year olds). One negative thing- the couches were a little grubby and it was obvious from the smell of the cushions, that people sleep on the couches. We weren't in Derry to sit in all day so it was only a minor detail. I would stay there again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Room 13 was so spacious but the noise from the road was quite loud.
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great location on the Strand road - however there is a large pub opposite which is very noisy at night - especially weekends- so you cannot open a window.
Whist the apartment was clean and comfortable, there were a number of negatives to our visit.
We had no hot water in the morning for a shower as no one had told us how it worked and there were no instructions in the apartment.
There was no phone in our apartment so I had to use my mobile to ring reception !
None of the security doors from the car park were locked which defeats the purpose of them as anyone could enter the building.
There was no welcome pack - no map of Derry, details of City of Culture events or pubs/restaurants which was disappointing. I was told later that they were available at reception but we were not offered any.
On checkout, again there were no instructions so we did not know what to do with the keys. There was no one in reception and we ended up leaving them with a maintenance man that we happened to meet in the building.
None of these are issues which cannot be resolved so come on BT 48, get organised and help to make your guests visits more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the side of the building to avoid the noise of the traffic and the pub.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple