“Good value”
Review of BT48 Apartotel

BT48 Apartotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Speciality Lodging in Derry
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at the BT48 Apartotel for 3 nights and on the whole we had no complaints. We certainly did not experience any of the poor customer service referred to in previous reviews - on the contrary, we were impressed with all of the people with whom we had contact. We were told on arrival that we had been upgraded to a 5th floor 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom penthouse apartment which was very welcome as we had advised that we were in Derry to celebrate a special anniversary with friends. The room overlooked Strand Road and although it's a busy road and there is a nightclub opposite, we found that the triple glazing was perfectly adequate to block out the majority of noise. The apartment is a decent size for 4 people, the furnishings are reasonably modern, the kitchen adequately equipped and the dining facilities suitable for self catering if your are so inclined - as it was an anniversary weekend we opted to eat out as there is plenty of choice around the city. Beds were very comfortable. The location is fine and I imagine that a view of the river on the opposite side of the building would be lovely. It is about a 10 minute walk into the city and we were fortunate enough to have good weather which made the walk along the river very enjoyable.

Minor gripes would be that the shower cubicle would benefit from a soap dish and although there was a bath in one of the bathrooms, a shower attachment and screen would be useful additions to save sharing the other shower.

Overall excellent value for money and as mentioned previously, good customer service.

We had a couple of minor niggles -

Room Tip: Request a high floor if facing Strand Road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank andyccpc
There are newer reviews for BT48 Apartotel

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I booked a room in the aparthotel for four people sharing. We were part of a group of at least 50 lady bikers stopping for the night half way through a breast cancer charity ride. We were quoted a 'reduced' rate....I later found out it was the same rate as advertised on their website. I was advised by the staff member taking my booking the apartment had a double and two single beds. upon arrival at 6 . 50 pm the poor girl on the checkin desk was overwhelmed. The registered showed that each room was only booked for one person each and the aparthotel was totally under prepared for our arrival. After a wait of approx 40 minutes I was able to checkin...she seemed surprised that I said it was for four people. The room although neat and tidy had a double bed a single bed and and bed sofa - which didn't work. I returned to reception to be met by a young man who said that the room would have to do as they had nothing else as we had a all made the wrong bookings. by now It was after 8pm and we agreed we would keep the room on condition that a)The sofa be fixed b) a sheet and duvet be supplied and C) more than two hand towels be left In the bathroom. We had dinner reservations which we were now extremely late for so off we went. Upon our return, a) the sofa bed was not fixed, b) no sheets or duvet c) no extra towels. At reception the young man became rather aggressive shouting at my friend that we weren't having any extra bedding or towels as It was my own fault for booking it wrong and that there was no spare laundry. He told my friend to sleep on the floor. When we asked for a refund of part of the price already paid he advised very rudely that he wouldn't be there In the morning and we could whistle for it. My friend slept on a grubby bed settee mattress with covers from the others duvets on the floor. There were no staff available in the morning and the door to reception and to the garage was locked. I have never experienced such shabby treatment anywhere. The place was a con from start to finish.

• Stayed: August 2013
27  Thank 01d
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Cannot emphasise how poorly we were treated. We were part of the group of 50 who booked individually as part of a motorcycle charity event. The young girl at reception worked really hard to put things right but her compadre was just rude and ignorant, at one point telling my partner to her face that she was lying when she said she had booked an apartment for four with a double and two single beds! (good job I wasn't there when he said that). To be told at midnight when we returned from the chinese restaurant that the promised duvet for the girl who had offered to sleep on the floor because the sofa bed was broke and not to bother looking for a refund because we wouldnt get one was just the icing on the cake and everyone had similar stories to tell, some being treated even more shabbily than we were!!!! Good job us bikers are an easy going bunch!!!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
18  Thank SteG7570TF
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Note, Names have been changed to hide the identity of those involved.
A large crowd of us booked into the BT48, party of approx 50. We had booked individually with months notice, Simple enough you would think!!! Not in this hell hole.. Arriving at the hotel the young girl behind the counter was unable to deal process us through the inadequate system due to poor staffing and the previous neglect from the Muppet who took the bookings. Staff holidays, sickness and an absent manager all attributed to what we experienced next. I think approx 20% of us actually had accommodation. It would seem the Muppet who took the bookings didn't actually do things,luckily for him he was no where to be seen, I guess the attitude was, I wont be there who cares! We all tried to keep our calm, bearing in mind the young girl behind the counter was doing her best and was now quite hoarse and loosing the will to live, We accepted our room, 4 of us.. we had booked accommodation for 4.. assuming there was 4 places for 4 people to lay their weary heads and aching derryaire's. We had just ridden 200 miles for charity,spoke to the public, stroked puppies and held newborn babies.. all in the name of publicity.

We gets to our room.. 1 double, 1 single, and a couch.. (bed settee).. we didn't mind, after all its a bed right? I didn't work, so, being knackered and easy going i said, hey, floor will do.. i'll just get a duvet. I had agreed to take the floor, cos my roomie was at least 11 inch's taller than me with size 9 kebs.,. I wasn't taking any chances. The other two I could tell they were in for an action packed night and Gulliver and I had seen enough disturbing things in the lobby.

Off we popped for our dinner to a local Chinese restaurant.. hours late but that wasn't so bad, I dont think any of us could of listened to another Happy Birthday tribute done the Elvis way! Returning to our hotel we discovered that the sofa bed, still broken still didn't have a duvet on it. I was to freeze.. Off i popped downstairs to speak to the fool, Gonzo! now holding fort at the reception. Me and Gulliver waited patiently as he spoke to another couple. Our turn now, I asked if there was a duvet? NO, no duvets he replied.. A blanket? NO, no blankets he replied. Gonzo then went on to inform me that it was our fault, we should of booked single rooms.... He just couldn't grasp the concept of 1 phone call requesting accommodation for 4 people.. Nope, we were still wrong. Trying to talk to Gonzo was becoming increasingly hard, he was now unable to understand basic words made up of 7 letters or less.. Ah, ive got children, Surely if i explain to him as i would them.. Look, if i ordered a chicken chow mein and you brought me a beef curry would that be my fault for you getting the order wrong? This was a loosing battle i was discovering, off we went to bed.. Goliath noticing that I take no prisoners offered me her duvet.. I accepted and she took the sheets that Gonzo had given us.. We had to tell him it was a toga party!! A place i certainly wont be back at, and will watch this review page with great delight.. 50 0f us stayed and im hoping most will leave feedback.

Oh and a bit tight on the old milks, teas and coffees.. you would expect 4 milks each, not 4 between ya.

15  Thank flipper_roo
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Fantastic location, staff really helpful, 2 bed penthouse spotless and great value. A great place right on the quay close to everything and with free parking . If you can get a river view that just makes it. Would go back!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank rosiebell42
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I booked a room for our daughter who was celebrating her 22nd birthday. As a surprise we decorated the room with 3 ballons and a small birthday banner and light refresments. There was no alcohol. My daughter and a girlfiend went to change in the room before dinner and were met by a rude irrate owner who informed them that there were no parties here and to go and collect their money. He then telephoned my wife and verbally bullied her. He then informed my daughter to get out! We were given no chance to explain.
THE WELCOME MY DAUGHTER RECEIVED WAS ABUSIVE, UNJUSTIFIED AND RUDE.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank DermotM123
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Unusually I did not check the reviews on trip advisor before I booked - wish I had. I had phoned earlier in the week to try to cancel, having read the reviews but was told I would be charged the full amount. Might have been the better option. I had also asked for a river view apartment - was told not many available but would 'do their best'. I then upgraded to a penthouse as I expected they were all river views. When we got there our apartment was at the front and I got very little sleep because of the traffic noise (as warned on this website). The apartment was not clean and not very well equipped. The one upside was the clean and comfortable bed. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: A river view apartment is fairly essential. Also there is a newer block at the rear which looks clea...
6  Thank 222_13