“Unfriendly and very unappreciative Manager”

Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions but I think we will miss it from now on. The hotel has a very welcoming owner and friendly and so are all the staff except the Manager. I was taken aback at the desk on leaving the hotel. The Receptionist was attending to my needs as I was paying for my stay. He came out of his office, no eye contact with me at all and no excuse for butting in to my conversation, one thing or another, said something to the girl and went back into his office. I think All Hotel staff should realise that, if I was not standing at one end of the desk, they would not be at the other. Really disappointed. Jean Watt

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jean W
WhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Mrs Watt,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and please accept my apologies for your experience at check out. I am sorry if it appeared rude but I was trying to be as unobtrusive as possible so I did not disturb the check out process. I would not normally interrupt as we do value every customer but I had to get a quick message to the receptionist before I left the premises. We do appreciate your custom and hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked a last minute stay here and got a great deal of £65 for a family room with breakfast. Room was lovely, spacious with double & single bed. Family rooms are at the back so away from any noise. We used the swimming pool twice which was clean and ample for our 4 year old daughter to enjoy. We had lunch in the bar while watching the rugby. Staff and food were excellent. Dinner in the restaurant was beautiful and they had a girl playing piano in the background which created a lovely atmosphere. My husband had the fillet steak and said it was one of the nicest he had ever had. Meal was very reasonably priced and again satff were excellent. Was also good that the hotel had wifi as our daughter was entertained on her kindle while we relaxed with a few drinks. Overall lovely stay, excellent satff and would def visit again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JenHen30

Dear Guest,

From all the staff and management here at The Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel, we would like to thank you for your very gracious comments. And also thank you for taking the time to write this review. We Look forward to your return

Keith Baldrick

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great welcoming staff, comfortable rooms and easy access. I have stayed at this hotel quiet a few time and find it relaxing and get a great night sleep.

Will look forward to staying again in July and probably another great review.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I visit Derry at least once a month and every time we stay at this wonderful hotel. As we were checking out in January I told Keith (who incidently drove us in into Derry) that Id planned a wee surprise at end of Feb. It turned out to be some surprise when we checked in.....Keith the General Manager told Carmel hed a surprise for her and directed her to the Donnybrewer Suite..........Wow what a room, lavisly and luxuriously furnished, king size bed (or the battleground as Ive caled it in Facebook), seperate seating area for watching the massive wall mounted Tv, jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Add to that the coffee tea and biscuits provided and the complimentary bath robes and slippers.....would make you want to stay in room all day..............but no we had to visit Lenny in the bar...he was a lot quieter this time as he was dying with the cold, but hey still makes a fuss out of everyone...a pint or four later and into the restaurant for a gorgeous meal served by the lovely Monika on the first night and Dil on the second night....4 courses it was excellent....chicken caesar salad for starter, daube of beef and side order and trio of desserts then tea/coffee. Its not hard to work out why we come here this often. Lights out.............have already booked for end of March...thank you all

Room Tip: Every room is excellent but if you get the chance of the suite...........i
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank michael_murtagh
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here last year. The hotel was very clean and nicely laid out. The restaurant served lovely food although it could have been better (bigger portion). My only complaint is that we were booked into the very first room at the top of the stairs. We had fallen asleep quite early but were woken at about 1 in the morning by laughter and shouting. It was a weekend stay and there was a function on just below us so it was very noisy in our room. We didn't get to sleep until around 4 in the morning. Apart from that, i would recommend the hotel. The staff were very pleasant and very helpful. Ideal if you want a more secluded place away from the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a swap if you get the first room at the top of the stairs
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I attended with a group of 7 children and 4 adults. We received a fantastic welcome from the receptionist Emma. We were appointed 2 family rooms and 2 double rooms as requested which were all very close to one another. The food in the bar was lovely, with the children enjoying the fresh food at a very reasonable price. I dined in the restaurant on two occassions, the food and service was exceptional.

Must commend Keith- he was extremely accomodating with my wifi/internet connection needs and the speed of connection was very good.

The hotel was lovely, rooms lovely and clean, we will definately be back. I also left behind some items in the hotel in my rush to check out and i have been contacted to say that they will be returned to me.

Room Tip: had the ground floor rooms and were fabulous.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1986LBN
Reviewed 10 February 2014

For the second year, the Lough Foyle Canine Association held its Show Dog of the Year Event at the White Horse. We had a larger number of dogs and people, and some spectators this time. The facilities were first class and many of our guests from out of town commented on the excellence of the venue. We under-estimated the number of people who would stay for lunch and the restaurant, which is always very busy on a Sunday, accommodated us without difficulty. It was great that we could all sit together this year, and made for a very sociable occasion, which is exactly what we wanted. We'll be back - if you'll have us!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends