“Hotel manager. Rude and unprofessional”

BEST WESTERN PLUS White Horse Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Derry
“Hotel manager. Rude and unprofessional”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Hotel was not up to the standard we had expected, there was nine of us booked into four rooms and none of us where happy. When we complained about the rooms to the manager he offered us our money back, he had no interest in our concerns just offered us a redund. so we had to check out at 5.30 after only checking in at 4.30, lucky for us all from Belfast that the Raddison Roe in Limavady had rooms. Manager was unprofessional and unhelpful.

• Stayed March 2014
WhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS White Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Jennifer B,
Thank you for your comments after your brief stay with us. I am sorry if I appeared rude but as I explained to you there was nothing else I could do to satisfy you. You expressed that you did not like your allocated room and as we were fully booked that weekend I could not give you another room. As a gesture of good will I offered a full refund as you said you wanted to check out and I wanted to avert a complaint? The room you were allocated was only last week inspected by Northern Ireland Tourist board who reaffirmed our 4 star status.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Groomsport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is a very well located hotel for visiting the city of Derry and its environs. We received a very warm welcome by the young man at Reception on our arrival. He could not have been more pleasant or helpful. We had arrived early, he checked if our room was ready and we were able to leave in our baggage. On our return later, there was a young woman on Reception. She did not acknowledge us in any way but continued with her conversation on the phone. ( I heard it to be a personal call as I could hear her talking while I waited for my husband to come in from the car.) The room was quiet, clean and pleasantly furnished and there was a good supply of tea/coffee/.hot chocolate. Fresh milk could be supplied on request. There were also extra toiletries in the bathroom. We ate in the restaurant where we were able to choose to sit in a secluded booth. The waiter was excellent, attentive, helpful and very pleasant. Checking out at Reception next morning was a disappointing experience and largely undid what,up to then, had been a good visit. The lady on duty had a cool, somewhat distant approach . There were certainly no greetings or smiles! The bill having been paid, she asked, mechanically,if everything had been alright. We told her that, since she had asked, one bedside light was not working and that waste water was very slow to leave the wash basin. She did not apologise but said she would note this for maintenance. As my husband turned away from the desk, she grimaced or sneered. She had not realised that I had been watching. I was shocked. This is not the behaviour one expects from a receptionist who, essentially, is the face of the hotel. She certainly did a good job in putting us off returning. What a pity when other staff had been trying to work so hard.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for what you experienced. It was certainly not the service that we pride on giving to all our guests. I have had meetings with both ladies and infact all the team to ensure the highest customer service is achieved. I am glad you enjoyed all other aspects and do hope you will return. Please contact me directly when you are so I can apologise in person.
Keith Baldrick
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Firstly, the hotel is not in Derry but is very close to the airport. It's not far into the city but location makes it relatively easy if you are travelling around in the area.
On arrival, as a Best Western Rewards Diamond member, I was upgraded to executive room. Unfortunately, the magnetic key wouldn't allow me into it. After a couple of trips back and forward a staff member couldn't get in either so I was given another room. Same problem. On second attempt got in only to find the TV didn't work. Given yet another room. In 1st time accompanied by a staff member and after some difficulty got this TV to work.
Nice big room but without the extras I would have expected of an executive room. No bottled water or biscuits (though the biscuits appeared on 2nd night). Had what was needed but no more. Bed and pillows very comfortable.
The hotel is just off the dual carriageway and there isn't much around so you are reliant on the hotel bar and restaurant. No complaints here. Staff and service efficient and friendly. Inexpensive and varied menu. Hearty portions. Buffet breakfast was disappointingly average. A number of items barely warm and needing to be refreshed.
Good sized swimming pool and looked like a well equipped gym free to hotel guests.
Found wifi to be very erratic. Kept dropping and having to log in again. This proved to be a real pain. Also, if you move around the hotel you'll find that you need to log into different access points. Not a good system.
My stay was OK but I'll probably try elsewhere on next visit to area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in March to celebrate our anniversary. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly and the room was comfortable and well maintained. As we arrived late on our first evening, we opted to eat in the hotel restaurant and we were very pleased with the food we ordered. The hotel was very busy that evening with formals and birthday parties, however we were not disturbed by noise at any time. Brekfast was very good and I was delighted to find they were able to meet our dietary requirements without advance warning! We used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna, all of which were clean, if a little in need of updating. Again the staff were very helpful and friendly. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short stay in Derry.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
WhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS White Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words after your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your experience and especially the food in the restaurant. Looking forward to seeing you again soon
Antrim
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions but I think we will miss it from now on. The hotel has a very welcoming owner and friendly and so are all the staff except the Manager. I was taken aback at the desk on leaving the hotel. The Receptionist was attending to my needs as I was paying for my stay. He came out of his office, no eye contact with me at all and no excuse for butting in to my conversation, one thing or another, said something to the girl and went back into his office. I think All Hotel staff should realise that, if I was not standing at one end of the desk, they would not be at the other. Really disappointed. Jean Watt

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jean W
Dear Mrs Watt,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and please accept my apologies for your experience at check out. I am sorry if it appeared rude but I was trying to be as unobtrusive as possible so I did not disturb the check out process. I would not normally interrupt as we do value every customer but I had to get a quick message to the receptionist before I left the premises. We do appreciate your custom and hope to welcome you back soon.
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked a last minute stay here and got a great deal of £65 for a family room with breakfast. Room was lovely, spacious with double & single bed. Family rooms are at the back so away from any noise. We used the swimming pool twice which was clean and ample for our 4 year old daughter to enjoy. We had lunch in the bar while watching the rugby. Staff and food were excellent. Dinner in the restaurant was beautiful and they had a girl playing piano in the background which created a lovely atmosphere. My husband had the fillet steak and said it was one of the nicest he had ever had. Meal was very reasonably priced and again satff were excellent. Was also good that the hotel had wifi as our daughter was entertained on her kindle while we relaxed with a few drinks. Overall lovely stay, excellent satff and would def visit again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JenHen30
Dear Guest,

From all the staff and management here at The Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel, we would like to thank you for your very gracious comments. And also thank you for taking the time to write this review. We Look forward to your return

Keith Baldrick
Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great welcoming staff, comfortable rooms and easy access. I have stayed at this hotel quiet a few time and find it relaxing and get a great night sleep.

Will look forward to staying again in July and probably another great review.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business