Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
City Hotel(Derry)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewssauna and steam roomleisure facilitiesswimming poolreception areaopen firederry airportcourse mealrestaurant staffon arrivallovely hoteltea and coffeefood was lovelywould highly recommend this hotelfantastic stayfunction roommany thankschecking out
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Myself and my Wife stayed at This Hotel for 4 Nights at the Beginning of April, The hotel wile set in realy the Middle of Nowear was a Old Fasioned building with quite afew add ons to it The Receptionist was Very Presant, The walk to our room was Very Long from Reception However you could go in and out via the Leisure Centre that was far quicker, Our Room itself was a good size and well Furnished with lots of Cupboard space The bathroom was very small for the room size and not venterlated in any way other than a Fan that kept cutting out, The Shower was Not screened off Propoly meaning that every time it was used it soaked the entire bathroom floor, and the warter pressure was not to good. However we lived with it, We had read on other websites that the Breakfast wilst Not Included in the Room Price was around £6.95 However it turned out to be £10.95 Each per Day witch was a Little steep considering that the Menu was Realy Very Limited room servise also cost £2.50 per person per tray However if it was for a Meal it went up to £3.50 per tray per Person which realy is Very Expensive Indeed the Bed and The Pillows wear Very Hard and you as the Paying Guest wear NOT Allowed to bring Any Food or Drink back to your Own Payed for Room Unless bought from the Hotel Itself to whitch we Found Totally Rediculouse Cosidering that the Hotels Policy (only found in the room) Stated that any Items of Food or Drink Found in Rooms would be Confiscated by The Staff and extra Charges may Apply ! We found these Rules and Prices to be Northink more than Way over the Top from a Paying Guests point of View ! It also just go's to Prove that Not everythink you read in either Reviews Hotels own Discriptions and the Many hotel Booking sites these days are Not Always either true or up to Date, other than these few points its not a bad little Hotel.

Room Tip: Read carefully regarding this Hotels Breakfast costing a Extra £10.95 per day On Top Of the Room Rate as this Price varies Depending on what site you See It On ! And the Breakfast Menu leaves a lot to Be Desired ?
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H
WhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. As you suggest it is always better to book direct with the hotel rather than though 3rd party sites. Our full breakfast is £10.95 if not prebooked with your room rate and it includes a selection from our cold buffet, fresh fruit salad, prunes or fresh pineapple, cheese and hams, croissants and muffins, cereals and yogurts and choose of juices, as well as a full cooked buffet of sausages, bacon, scrambled and fried eggs, black pudding white pudding, mushrooms, potato bread, tomato, tea/coffee and toast. I am glad you read our guest directory in the room but I am sorry you missed the section highlighted the range of pillows available if the ones in your room are not to your taste.
Our room service charge is only £2.50 so if you were charged more please contact us and we will refund you.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Visited on business for just one night, the hotel is very convenient for the air port being just a 10 minute taxi ride away. We arrived late and the reception staff could not have been any more friendly and helpful, we explained that we had an early plane to catch and would require an early breakfast, she arranged that and a taxi to take us to the airport.
The three course set evening meal was delicious, I had quail egg with black pudding, followed by duck breast with marmalade sauce and garlic potatoes and finished with a trio of deserts and coffee.
The bedroom was very nicely decorated, large comfy bed with every thing you needed, very warm and cosy, bathroom was scrupulously clean with bath and overhead shower, and plenty of hot water. There was even home made shortbread biscuits, luxury Suchard hot chocolate, tea and coffee provided. I would defiantly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2014

What more can I say about this fabulous hotel except that it just gets better & better with each visit. The only thing I hate about our visits is that we have to leave.

Looking forward to our next visit on 27th April, can't come quick enough. Hope to see Jill &Mary next time as they were both absent on our last trip.

Congratulations to Tyler on reaching the next stage of (hope I'm right) Receptionist of the Year. Good luck for next stage Tyler, I know you'll do well. Better also mention Amanda, the newest recruit on reception. Thanx for looking after us on checkout 30th March, see you again soon.

Thanx also to Keith , & all staff throughout the hotel, too numerous to mention individually. You are all exceptional. See you all very soon. Carmel

Room Tip: No need for tips as all rooms are excellent. I think we've stayed in most of them over the last 4 or 5 years.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

After deciding to treat my sister in law to a wee night away for her birthday I started ringing round all the usual spa resorts in n. Ireland. The cost for one nights stay with evening meal, breakfast and a spa treatment was upwards of £300 which I felt was just too much, now im not sure how I came about finding the white horse but when I rang them the girl was really helpful and told me about their here comes the girls package which was a nights b&b, 4course evening meal, spa treatment, cocktail on arrival and use of the leisure facilities, the check in was 3pm but we wanted to do a bit of shopping in the city so arrived very early to see if we could leave our bags, we where told our room was ready and that we could have it right away, the room was basic but very clean, there are home baked cookies in the rooms made by the hotel which I thought was a lovely touch, soup is available in the restaurant for new guests checking in also, another lovely gesture, we booked a table in the restaurant for that evening and to say it was an outstanding meal is an understatement, food is absolutely beautiful, cannot say a bad thing about it, there was entertainment in the hotel that night so we didn't have to go out at all, the facials where lovely, the breakfast was great , free wifi, what can I say, will be back

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel to find that there appeared to be an Irish Dancing competition taking place ! The reception area was covered with children in curly wigs and the smell of food also being served in reception area was overpowering!
We were asked to pay at Reception before we had even seen our room..Not usual practice! I suggested to the Receptionist that maybe I should check my room first just to check it was up to standard,he replied to me that I was negative! Realistic as it happens!
The room was dark,dismal and cold and the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly...hair on the floor....yuk!
The smell of the food at Reception made it's way down the corridor to the rooms we were staying in.
We complained to the Manager who was abrupt,if not, rude!
Luckily we got our money refunded and found a much more superior hotel ...The Radisson Roe!
I feel we should have been told of the Dancing Competition as we certainly would never have booked this hotel in the first place....never will be back here. Nothing positive to say about this Hotel...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Linda Z
WhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your comments after your brief experience with us. As you said we did indeed have an Irish dancing completion on but as this finished at 5pm we did not anticipate it causing our guests an inconvenience. With regard to paying on arrival this was because you were paying cash and not prepared to provide a credit card. This is standard practice in every hotel You expressed that you did not like your allocated room and as we were fully booked that weekend I could not give you another room. As a gesture of good will I offered a full refund as you said you wanted to check out and I wanted to avert a complaint? The room you were allocated was only last month inspected by Northern Ireland Tourist board who reaffirmed our 4 star status.