“BEST BREAKFAST EVER”

Ranked #18 of 47 Derry B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“BEST BREAKFAST EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely spacious ensuite room. Great views from the front of the house. Isobella is a great character, entertaining, helpful, knowledgeable. But the highlight without question is the cooked breakfast. Best cooked breakfast I have had. I've now stayed there twice - and couldn't believe that the breakfasts tasted even better this time. And if bacon etc isn't your poison, worry not. The lady caters for veggies, vegans, gluten-free diets, porridge-lovers etc. A wee gem of a place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RJQ95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My Sister, Mother and I are happy to have found such a lovely B&B to stay at during our time in Derry. We were met by Isabella with such a warm and genuine welcome and she was very helpful in recommending a good restaurant and arranging a cab for us. Our room was spacious, our beds were comfortable and our bathroom was completely stocked with all the extras that travellers tend to forget at home. We had loads of hot water and pressure for three of us to shower. Everywhere we went in this Home was spot-lessly clean. Breakfast was great with plenty to choose from and Isabella was very informative and honest about the history and "The Troubles" in Derry when we inquired. Always interesting to hear a first-hand perspective. Isabella made our stay very comfortable and educational. I admire her devotion to her old dog, Star, and her younger rescue dog, Sky, and her willingness to accept travellers with dogs. I believe this speaks volumes as to her kindness and compassion. Thank you Isabella for opening your home to us.
Donna, Cheryl and Eunice

Room Tip: Our room was ideal for the three of us. 3 single beds with plenty of room to maneuver. Quiet and com...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donna2836
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Booked one night but stayed two, it was such a good find. Isobel was delightfully welcoming & very dog-friendly, she even cooks evening meals which can be a godsend after a day exploring. Lots of interesting conversation giving insight into Northern Ireland's history & recent changes. After a week of travelling it was time to find a laundrette- no need, Isobel offered, nothing seemed too much trouble. Breakfasts were OTT generous, even had scrambled eggs one morning with masses of smoked salmon.
Superb Irish hospitality & kindness.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
King City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had booked a king room at Nightingale House for 3 nights in June, based on the excellent trip advisor reviews. The B&B is lovely and Isobel is very accommodating. However, we found the bed very uncomfortable (way too hard, squeaky and not a king by north american standards). Maybe this is just our own problem, but we would have chosen twin beds if we had realised. The bathroom was lovely, but there was barely enough water pressure to shower. When we mentioned this in the morning, Isobel quickly offered to help us find another place to stay - which she did very quickly and happily. We ended up at a nearby Best Western which suited us very well. The location is good - in a lovely neighbourhood - close to downtown- but a good night's sleep is really important when you are on a driving holiday:)

Room Tip: - just beware the exceptionally firm bed - at least in the upper front room. If you like a hard bed...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
nightingalehouse, Owner at Nightingale House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Well what can I say I did my best for you and sorted out a hotel as that is were you really wanted to be, not a B&B you were looking for!!!!!!, and I didnt charge you for the 2other nites that you did book with me, But may I say in my defence MY Beds are KINGSIZE 60" by78" inches wich all my beds are!!!! (Double beds are 54"by75" inches) maybe not by north american sizes granted, but you were in IRELAND not north america. Bed squeaky and water pressure not good you really didnt want to be there..... As I said to you I run I happy B&B and all my guests have to be,,,,,
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just arrived home from yet another stunning weekend at Nightengale House. Isobel, the host, was up to her usual high standard (and beyond). We have discovered at first hand that Isobel does evening meals (on request) and we were not disappointed. As this was my birthday weekend, we decided to go for fine dining in the City, but we found it at Isobel's. Another plus is that our wee dog was made very welcome in her home. The standard of her food, and presentation was beyond expectations, (scrambled eggs at breakfast are to die for). Isobel has a friendly, bubbly exterior with a wicked sense of humour and you would never be bored with her experiences through life, I have no hesitation in recommending Isobel and her welcoming home.

Room Tip: The 'Diva' room is our first choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I can't speak highly enough of nightingale house. Isabel was a lovely host. Very friendly and welcoming and funny as well.

The rooms were absolutely beautiful. The artwork and attention to detail was stunning. The bathroom looks newly renovated and had been stocked with absolutely everything you could ever need if you had forgotten to pack something.

Breakfast was a beautiful spread of fresh fruits, mueslis and juices and nicely cooked Irish breakfast.

This was definitely the best bnb we visited on our tour of Ireland.

• Stayed June 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

What a wonderful time I had at Isobel's B & B especially her wonderful EGGS ! and the talking parrot. It was my first time in Derry and this B & B was well situated as it was only £3/4 for a taxi into town. The breakfast was a treat and the bedrooms were excellent. My friends had all been there last year and waxed lyrically about Isobel, her craic and her home. Loved it and hope I am invited back next year.

Room Tip: We were in the family room which is on the top floor and was the smallest of the rooms but perfectly...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends