“WOW”

Ranked #12 of 43 Derry B&B and Inns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“WOW”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Derry/LondonDerry, What a fantastic city. Absolutely full to overflowing with history.
My stay at Arkle House was, for me, a home from home. Immaculate, cozy and very comfortable to say the least. The proprietors, Sally and Terry Cassidy are 2 of the most friendly, welcoming people I have met. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast was plentifu and varied and a great start to the day. About 5mins taxi ride into the city centre so, if you prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle, this B+B is ideally situated. A well kept garden area gives beautiful surroundings in which to relax and offers plenty of parking space.
Looking forward to my next visit and would highly recommend Arkle House to anyone visiting this this part of Northern Ireland.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have traveled to a few places around the UK and Ireland, and I shall say that Arkle House B&B provided the best experience I have ever had. The house is well located in the city of Derry, with a supermarket just on the opposite side of the road, super-convenient if you'd like to do some cooking yourself. The rooms were good and clean, the breakfast was excellent! The hosts Sally and Terry were so nice and helpful, that they made my stay in Arkle House feel like at home !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2014

As we were driving across Northern Ireland, we did not book the accommodation in advance, since we weren't sure where we'll end up with. This time, it had to be this guesthouse - a little bit remote from the Derry center, but very spacious. Despite the fact we got there after 8pm, we still were welcome. Rooms were clean, the breakfast was generous, plenty of parking space.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank d f
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

From my travels around Ireland I can honestly say that this was the best place I stayed in. The hospitality truly made my trip that little bit more special.
The room was so clean and cosy and everything we needed was supplied from the en-suite facilities in the room to the guest’s kitchen with free coffee and tea making facilities, free wifi, computer access and free parking as an added bonus.
For a guesthouse the breakfast was particularly impressive. Not only was it one of the best full Irish breakfasts I ever had but the fact that fresh blueberries, strawberries, melon and grapefruit amongst others were available made my stay that extra special.
Good job to my hosts. I hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed December 2013
Ormeau, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Although there was a mix up when we arrived, (our booking had been mistaken for the following day) our hosts (Terry and Sally) soon had us enjoying a welcome cuppa and they fixed up a room for us very quickly. In fact, they gave us their own suite. The large bedroom and separate bathroom was very comfortable and clean. We are a 'mature' age couple and it was easy to walk to a close pub for our dinner that night. The following morning, after a yummy breakfast, our host (Terry) drove us right into town in his own car, where we did the walking tour which they had recommended (which we can also recommend, it was so interesting). We were able to leave our hire car and luggage at Arkle House in safety, instead of paying high priced parking in town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kells, Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from 2 nights stay at Arkle House B&B in Derry, and we had a wonderful time. We had no complaints, and were quite happy with the accomodations. The B&B is in a lovely old home - which is our favorite kind of B&B. From the very first, we were made to feel at home by the very helpful, friendly landlady. The B&B is tucked away in a quiet residential area, so things were always peaceful. It is only a short drive into the center of town; if you take a taxi, it's about a 3.50 (sterling) fare. The gardens are beautiful. Derry's a great town, the people seem to be working hard to get past the unfortunate history of the Troubles. Everyone we had any dealings with in town - from cabbies to wait staff at restaurants - were uniformly friendly and helpful. We will definitely be going back to Derry, and when we do, we'll be staying again at Arkle House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The room was quite small - the smallest of all the B&B's we stayed at on this trip. The bathroom was like a closet - I could barely fit in and I'm not that big a person. Also there wasn't alot of closets and drawers to put our stuff in. You get what you pay for I suppose as this was also the cheapest B&B we stayed at.
However, the service was impeccable. Extremely friendly host who came all the way downtown to meet us so we could follow him to the place. We never would have found it on our own. Also, when we went downtown he gave us a ride since he was going downthere anyway and saved us the cost of a cab. (Cabs weren't too expensive anyway.) The breakfast was also good, the first place where we got to try some Irish black pudding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple