“Disappointing B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derry
The Saddlers House and the Old Rectory
Ranked #20 of 44 Derry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I booked 3 rooms for American friends and myself for 2 nights and compared to all other places we stayed around Ireland, it did not come up to expectation. It is well situated but the rooms are very small, I was glad I was in my room on my own. The carpet looked as if it hadn't been hoovered for days, the dressing table was not cleaned the second day 'because there were personal items on it', and the blankets were very dated, barely reaching across the bed.

Room Tip: If a couple, ask for their largest room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Been traveling thru Ireland for over 15 days. I've been in some wonderful b&b. I realize these are old buildings and rooms can be small. This room was incredibly small. Bath is size of a broom closet. Owners didn't understand what I was speaking. Not a good stop. Keep looking and find another spot.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This B&B is located on the edge of the Bogside which was an ideal location with an easy walk into the centre. Parking was free across the road and the owners were very friendly and helpful.

It was unfortunate the weather was so cold, but there wasn't anything they could do about that.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed here with my parents when they came to visit in December. I normally would stay in hostels but this was a good choice for them. The owners were friendly and the house felt like it had alot of history. I would prefer to stay again at the hostels in the city, but for my parents this was a solid choice. Very comfortable, central and the place had alot more charachter than the possible alternative choices of hotels..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed here on a weekend trip from Belfast. The place was easy to find in our rented car with a GPS. Parking was of no problem as it was a saturday night. Once you stepped in you wouldn't think you were in a B&B. The place is soooo....... homely. It is like staying in a Irish friend's home. Peter is such a great host; showing us all over the house even though we were only staying one night. The place is warm and comfortable.

Then he took out a map and indicated the various locations of restaurants and sights. From Saddler's House it was a very short walk into town centre. We had dinner at Flaming Jack's which was very good. The next morning, it was drizzling but that did not deter us from joining the walking tour (a must do!).

Prices were reasonable and we would definitely choose Saddler's House again if we were to return to Derry. The only downside is the ensuite bathroom shower. It is very small and I would think too small for the average caucasians. But we asians are on the small size!

Room Tip: Don't choose the front room esp on a saturday night!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GasmanPenang
Reviewed 25 October 2012

If you are looking for a smart modern place to stay then The Saddler's House is not for you. If you want somewhere comfortable and close to the heart of Derry then you should consider it. Joan and Peter are very friendly and are happy to share their extensive knowledge of the area with you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank threekiwis
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Derry is one of my favorite places to visit. I just returned from a 6 day stay with my wife, brother and two other traveling companions. We all stayed at The Saddlers house. This is a period house that just entering is a delight. The house is restored and spotless. The hosts/owners, Joan and Peter Payne are very helpful and of course knowledgable about the area and points of interest. I recommend paying a few pounds extra for the breakfast that is presented in the dining room. A fairly large and diverse selection of fresh food. The location of the house is perfect. There is of course a lot of historical significance in just the immediate surroundings and one is just a few blocks from the city walls. A very easy walk. There are a number of fine B&B's in Derry, but for me The Saddlers House is head and shoulders above the rest.

Room Tip: Only some rooms come en suite. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends