“very disappointing”

The Waterfoot Wine Bar
Ranked #56 of 191 Restaurants in Derry
Price range: US$14 - US$27
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Be prepared to be impressed at one of the best restaurants in the city. The Waterfoot Hotel is renowned for it's fabulous cuisine under the management of our head chef Paul McElhinney and his team. Paul takes great pride in selecting and serving the very best in fresh local produce and delivering exquisite food to suit every palate. The Wine Bar provides a modern environment with a stunning circular bar and walk in wine room. Classic movies projected on to the wine bar walls Open plan kitchen so you can see your food being prepared Dining is on 3 levels with a balcony overlooking the beautiful centrepiece bar. Wine Bar Dining Times Breakfast Monday - Friday - 7am - 10am Saturday & Sunday 8am - 10.30Am Lunch Monday - Saturday - 12pm - 2.30Pm Dinner Monday - Thurs - 5.30Pm - 9.30Pm Friday & Saturday - 5.30Pm - 10pm Sunday - 1pm - 9pm New Super Sundays now on! Sunday Wine Bar opening hours 1pm -9pm Sunday Carvery 12.30Pm - 4pm in W1 Function Suite Drink There's no where more stylish than the Waterfoot Hotel Wine Bar or Studio 5 to enjoy your favourite drink from our extensive list which has something to excite everyone's palate. Check our our fabulous cocktail menu. Select your favourite wine from our walk in wine room A wide range of all spirits in stock Enjoy a cool beer while you chill out with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ate here Friday night with my husband we live close by and would call ourselves regulars, finding previous dining experiences really good and the food very tasty. We were however, on this occasion very disappointed. We both ordered chicken dishes which turned out to be quite similar but shouldn't have considering one was arizona and the other plain. The accompanying sauce was awful thin tasteless and watery. It was the mains which let the whole meal down. The veg of the day was stewed to a pulp and was meant to be carrot broccoli cauliflower and parsnip. If I was searching from now to next week I would have had difficulty finding a carrot or a parsnip. The skins my husband ordered were grey and appeared to have been deep fat fryed they were horrible and we complained at the end of the meal, as no one came back to ask if everything was okay. We were so disappointed as we had gone because of previous experience and to save cooking after a busy week. As good cooks ourselves we felt that we could have and would have cooked better at home. It was not cheap and we were so annoyed that we felt compelled to do a review. Come on Waterfoot get your act together it was a Friday night and not at all busy no wonder!

3  Thank Fox149
Andrew L, Manager at The Waterfoot Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2015

There are newer reviews for The Waterfoot Wine Bar

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went to the restaurant tonight for a quick meal with my wife. On arrival whew we're told the restaurant wasn't open yet and we would have to wait in the snug bar. This was at five fifteen, no name taken, just pointed to a door.

We went in to the snug and ordered a drink and by the time we got it it was time to join a scrum of people as the restaurant was open ten minutes later. There was no communication and people had already started to leave due to the absence of customer service and organisation.

We were shown to our table by a young man who shall remain nameless because he could not speak only mumble. We had to ask him to repeat what he had said as it was incoherent! He then only give us the " ten for ten" special menu and had to be asked for the a la carte menu, even then he could only find one.....

Then we were confronted by a guy who again will remain nameless as he was atrocious. Chewing gum incessantly, inaudible in such a quiet place due to broken English, no engagement with his customer, no interest whatsoever!

The only saving grace tonight was the food which was decent pub quality food, not restaurant but good food well presented nonetheless.

Whoever the manager is needs to invest in some customer service training as soon as possible!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited for lunch on 15 March 2014. I ordered a Chicken & Bacon Caesar salad which was packed out with red onion, which overpowered the taste of everything else. While I did eat the dish, when i mentioned this at the end the staff member showed only minimal interest. My husband had a very enjoyable meal of Fish & Chips. Portion sizes were good. Service was slow (the restaurant was not overly busy, with 1 large group and 3-4 other tables of 2), but it is often difficult to attract the attention of a staff member. The worst part was when we went to the desk to pay on our way out of the restaurant. The Duty Manager was on the telephone with a customer who had rang in about booking a table and was asking for advice on menus etc. Picture the scene in Fawlty Towers when Basil Fawlty was hiding down behind the desk in reception - this is exactly what this was like. The staff member was crouched down behind the desk talking to the customer on the phone. Bizarre!! Only after we had stood waiting for several minutes did another staff member come to settle our bill, and it was this individual who we commented to on our meal, but who was not even interested enough to suggest that he would pass our comments on to the chef. This is not the first time we have eaten in this restaurant, and on the whole, the food tends to be fairly good, but sadly, it is their service which consistently lets them down, and stops me from visiting on a more regular basis

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have just returned from here with my husband and 2 children (7months, 2&1/2). This was a birthday dinner for my husband. Allocated a booth which was perfect, welcoming waitress was very helpful. Starters-Tortillas-Deep fried and very greasy, did not complain and returned almost uneaten. Daughter had her main-chicken & pasta-she ate and didn't seem to mind the brown chips. My husbands mains was chilli Chicken pitta pocket with chips and mine chilli beef pitta pocket with garlic potatoes, side order of Tobacco onions. Presentation was fine. Chilli beef was soaked in a brown sauce,the pitta was sogging. The sauce was the worst I have ever tasted anywhere and I eat out at least twice per month. It was bland, couldn't even be described like gravy as there was no taste. My husbands was not much better. The waitress asked if ok, we complained there was no taste of the sauce. We were offered to have it recooked but with 2 small children this was not an option. The waitress did apologise but then that's where any service we got ended, we were abandoned. I left 3/4 of my meal. My husband made himself eat 3/4 of his. Nobody came to lift our plates or offer dessert. On paying I informed a suited young male I had complained about my main and did not eat it therefore I was not paying for it. He did ask what was wrong, we explained, my main was deducted from the bill only because I requested this. We were informed this never happens. May I add this is the 1st time I have ever openly complained about food in a restaurant. We were disgusted by the overall customer service considering we were out with our 2 young children marking a special occasion. I vow I will never return here despite being a frequent customer to both the wine bar and Sunday carvery over the years.

1  Thank KMcL2014

Reviewed 1 March 2014

the restaurant itself is well presented, service was ok, food is nice but nothing outstanding. not so well catered for the kids as some places - too many wine glasses on table,etc but in saying that we have returned a few times so it is definately not bad!

2  Thank Valowry