“You Won't Find Better”

Fairman House Independent Hostel
Fairman House Independent Hostel
Ranked #10 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Derry
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A very rare find; this house is as I'd like my home to be... warm, cosy, pristinely clean throughout, super (cook yourself) breakfast, open coal fire at night + central heating, great atmosphere, great WiFi, very comfortable beds, lovely showers, great location - out of city yet only £3 taxi for 2 people, safe parking, well run / managed by Liam & Stella who are great hosts, guides & storytellers.

And it doesn't stop after you checkout - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=570985066300684

I will stay Fairman House any time I'm in Derry from now on

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sta C

Reviewed 1 March 2013

The gf and I stayed here last weekend for a brief trip to the North, and it was absolutely lovely! The owners are very friendly, and Liam told us about an ancient (well, depending on your definition - it was largely rebuilt in the 19th century) roundfort just out of town. While lots of places will do that, he then proceeded to lead us there in his own car! In addition the room was comfortable and clean, the bathrooms great, and the living room with a fireplace was a very nice spot to enjoy some beers from the off-licence (alcohol here is a lot cheaper than in the Republic!)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrishDevMan
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Where to start! Upon first arriving, you see it's a pretty bnb, very homely and the owners are incredibly friendly. The atmosphere is so comforting, we really felt at home. The room was bright, clean, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! There is a kitchen that we were able to use as we pleased. The wifi is fast, breakfast is cooked by yourself so there is no awkwardness in the mornings. The open fire is lit every night and so comforting. The bathrooms are beautiful and the showers are perfect pressure! It really was like I was in my own house. I absolutely loved staying here and I was sad I had to leave when my trip was over! Super comfortable and would highly recommend this place to anybody! You wouldn't think you were staying in a hostel!

Room Tip: Room 6 is the room we were in, it's a couples room, lovely bright attic room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 29 January 2013

A great place small hostel with friendly host, fast wifi, and (the room I was in # 5) had a small desk.

Plus - there was on street parking right out the front !

Great living room with open fire, fantastic bed and quality bed linen.

Modern bathroom, and a modern self catering kitchen.

This place is as good as a B & B .... but heaps cheaper !

(The only thing that sets it apart from any B & B I have stayed at is the vacuum cleaner and cleaning gear on the top landing, and you help yourself to cereal and toast ....
otherwise - it is equal to any B and B ..... )

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Almostgreynomad
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Fairman House was a lovely hostel to stay at. If you are looking for a party hostel this is not the place for you. I had the hostel all to myself for one night, and it was fantastic to have Liam and Stella stoke the fire for me and make sure I was comfortable - it was awesome to have some time to myself after two months of hostelling and having to deal with some crazies over that time period. The hostel is a 15 minute walk from the city centre, but as the city is quite compact, I didn't find this an issue. There is a Tesco 10 mins walk away, and a shop, two bakeries and a pub literally one minute away. The breakfast provided was lovely - a selection of cereals, toast and eggs with free tea and coffee. Would strongly recommend this hostel for the mature solo traveller.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank quirky22blonde
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed here for a night a while ago, must say i would never ever return!

The hostel did have a good location and was close to the town. The rooms were also very clean.

However the rooms were very small with no facilities at all! They didnt even have mirrors, the toilets were 3 floors down so began to get very very frustrating! The breakfasts were basically non existant, didnt have one the entire time. The room was very nosiy due to the pipes constantly rattling! Im a very light sleeper so didnt get any sleep and the owners i felt were even quite rude! To be honest we felt extremely uncomfortable staying here and would never stay again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laura186484
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Family owned business with a family feel to my stay. It's close to the city centre and I also had a chance to visit done integrating museums in this area. For those looking to learn more about the history of this city this hostel is good to stay in. I also had a lovely breakfast included in the reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2012