“The Perfect Hostel”

Fairman House Independent Hostel
Fairman House Independent Hostel
Ranked #10 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Derry
Reviewed 11 June 2014

It's not often that an establishment exceeds expectations, but this is the case with the Fairman! The whole place was immaculate, with a large, comfortable living/dining area. The price was very reasonable, the breakfast adequate, beds comfortable, and our hostess was very helpful and friendly. It is within a 15 minute walk to all the best there is to see in Derry. Not only is Derry an amazing city, but the Fairman Hostel is icing on the cake!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I only stayed one night and wish I stayed longer! I had a room all to myself, and it was clean and full of light. Stella was very nice and friendly. Full complete kitchen. Location is an easy 15-minute walk to town. I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here with two friends and had the 4 person dorm to ourselves. The beds were fantastic and she has the best pillows I've ever used in a hostel! It's warm, clean, and breakfast is help yourself with a good selection of cereal, toast, and Eggs (very few places provide protein). She was super friendly and helpful. I would totally come back to Derry!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The bedrooms and bathrooms etc were really nicely done and clean. Liam and Stella are also really kind and one of the best hosts you can find. The location is an easy walk to the main attractions though there's a slight hike. But the service, cleanliness, and hospitality makes it a great place to stay. I truly enjoyed my stay - nice fireplace, nice kitchen, rooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A very rare find; this house is as I'd like my home to be... warm, cosy, pristinely clean throughout, super (cook yourself) breakfast, open coal fire at night + central heating, great atmosphere, great WiFi, very comfortable beds, lovely showers, great location - out of city yet only £3 taxi for 2 people, safe parking, well run / managed by Liam & Stella who are great hosts, guides & storytellers.

And it doesn't stop after you checkout - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=570985066300684

I will stay Fairman House any time I'm in Derry from now on

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sta C
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The gf and I stayed here last weekend for a brief trip to the North, and it was absolutely lovely! The owners are very friendly, and Liam told us about an ancient (well, depending on your definition - it was largely rebuilt in the 19th century) roundfort just out of town. While lots of places will do that, he then proceeded to lead us there in his own car! In addition the room was comfortable and clean, the bathrooms great, and the living room with a fireplace was a very nice spot to enjoy some beers from the off-licence (alcohol here is a lot cheaper than in the Republic!)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrishDevMan
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Where to start! Upon first arriving, you see it's a pretty bnb, very homely and the owners are incredibly friendly. The atmosphere is so comforting, we really felt at home. The room was bright, clean, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! There is a kitchen that we were able to use as we pleased. The wifi is fast, breakfast is cooked by yourself so there is no awkwardness in the mornings. The open fire is lit every night and so comforting. The bathrooms are beautiful and the showers are perfect pressure! It really was like I was in my own house. I absolutely loved staying here and I was sad I had to leave when my trip was over! Super comfortable and would highly recommend this place to anybody! You wouldn't think you were staying in a hostel!

Room Tip: Room 6 is the room we were in, it's a couples room, lovely bright attic room.