“Not what I was expecting - over-rated/overpriced, better deals elsewhere”

Elagh View bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 44 Derry B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Not what I was expecting - over-rated/overpriced, better deals elsewhere”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night in August 2013 whilst visiting Londonderry/Derry. After reading reviews online, I had high expectations for Elagh View, was thinking something special - unfortunately it did not deliver. Don't get me wrong, the B & B is nice, and the owners are lovely, but it is nothing more than average, and fails on some basic elements.

Pros:
1. Owners - very welcoming and pleasant.
2. Location - great for us out in the rural countryside, near Donegal border (via Buncranna road - 5 mins and you are into Southern Ireland) - not good without a car.
3. Views - from breakfast room, stunning countryside.
4. Parking on-site, included

Cons:
1. Cleanliness - the kitchen was awful, dirty pots everywhere, old toast pieces left out, dog/cats roaming in and out of house, around guest areas.
2. No tea/coffee/kettle in room.
3. We booked a double with ensuite, but got a double with separate/shared bathroom (we didn't mind, but shows disorganisation).
4. No toiletries.
5. Small towels (1 per person).
6. TV didn't work in our room.
7. No wardrobe in room.
8. Bed/mattress uncomfortable (springs)
9. Breakfast - no fresh coffee (cheap instant stuff, but there was lots of tea),, irish breakfast (cooked) was quite dry/bland, but fruit salad and cornflakes nice.
10. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED AS A METHOD OF PAYMENT - just so you know.

All in all, it's OK as a B&B, but I wouldn't stay here again out of choice, and would recommend looking elsewhere if you want something special/different/luxury, or just good value for money. For what it is, this place is slightly over-priced (65 ish per room).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mary F, Owner at Elagh View bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
I am so very disappointed that you felt we did not live up to our excellent reputation. It is obvious from the review that you were annoyed that I had to contact booking.com when you did not return for over 4 hours to settle your bill.

Please accept my sincere apologies if I caused you any embarrassment for it certainly was not my intention, I just felt that it was necessary to call them in case you simply forgot as you had said you would return within 15 minutes.

It is easy to write things from a place of anger and I don't judge you for that if you felt that I embarrassed you.

For the benefit of future guests I feel that I have to correct some of the information you stated that is 100% factually incorrect or misrepresented.

1. Yes we do have a miniature Pomeranian dog called Foxy but at no stage is she allowed in guest areas.
2. Yes we do have two outdoor cats that are never in the house as I and my son are allergic to them.
3.You did not have a shared bathroom you had a private external bathroom.
4. There is no kettle in the room but guests can help themselves at any time to tea and coffee in the dining room.
5. We supply all guests toiletries including hand soap, hand lotion and toilet rolls.
6. Each guest receives a pack of three towels,face,hand and bath.
7. To this day we have been unable to find a fault with the Television.
8. No wardrobe as such but sufficient storage and hanging space.
9. PLEASE NOTE CASH IS ACTUALLY OUR PREFERRED METHOD OF PAYMENT.

I am in the business to provide the best level of service I can, I really do try to live up to my excellent reputation, I love meeting new people and you both seemed like a lovely couple and I can honestly say I am sorry that things turned out the way they did. I wish you all the best.

Mary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay in Elagh place. The b&b is beautifully kept. The hosts extremely friendly and helpful. I wouldn't let that it is outside the city put you off. It's a beautiful rural location with fabulous views and is only €5 in a taxi into the city. Couldn't have asked for anywhere nicer.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Skiseron
Lethbridge
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived after a full day of driving from Cushendall. Mary met us and showed us to very clean rooms. She was most accommodating and recommended good restaurants and good tours for the next day. The breakfast in the morning was
excellent and a little different than the previous B&B's that we stayed at. After a full Irish breakfast you don't need to eat for the rest of the day or at least until the evening.
We wish we could've stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a very pleasant stay with Mary and Jimmy. The bedroom was very comfortable wit a really cosy bed and lovely shower. The breakfast was very well cooked. Mary gave great advice on where to visit. A very good stay - thank you.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Good convenient spot for touring or visiting Derry/Londonderry, quiet and beautiful view from breakfast room. Comfortable room, excellent breakfast, very kind and helpful hostess who advised us on local visits. Do check the website before arriving how to get there as our sat nav was somwhwat out of date and could not locate it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was very happy with this choice while visiting Derry. It's a 10 minute drive into the city and close to beautiful drives in Donegal. Mary and Jimmy are friendly, welcoming and informative. The view from the breakfast room is stunning. My room was beautifully clean and comfortable, with the sheep in neighbouring field as mentioned by another traveller. The only downside was the path to front door runs outside the window so not much privacy on long light evenings.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Some B&Bs are like small hotels, others are like family homes. Elagh View is the latter. It's a large, pleasant one-story house whose bedrooms have been concerted into guest rooms. The rooms and bathrooms are quite small, but very clean and functional. The proprietors are extremely kind and helpful people, and they helped us with directions and restaurant recommendations. The breakfast was very good. The location would be a bit awkward for someone without a car, but if you do have one this is an excellent alternative to a city hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple