“lovely derry”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
ireland
“lovely derry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed three nights at this hotel. its location is perfect adjacent to the city centre. rooms lovely and clean with beautiful view over river foyle and guild hall. food was very good. all inall the best hotel for a citybreak in derry,. also all the staff were great and helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floors with a view of river and peace bridge
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kalysty
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, It may interest you to know we have made many improvements since your review. Including opening our 7th floor of suites and penthouse rooms. We hope you choose to make a return visit in 2014.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

stayed in this hotel for hallow'een, terrific service in dining room,bar and reception. fireworks display over river Foyle was very imaginative.to quote the TERMINATOR,I'll be back!!!

Room Tip: rooms looking out over the river give a beautiful lift to the senses
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Wonderful new years weekend at the Derry City hotel. Great staff and facilities. And location couldn't be better for a night in the city. Recommend as best option by far in Derry.

• Stayed December 2011

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

This is my second time staying at this hotel - to first remind my reader that it is a very decent place. The last time I was here was on Spring break (USA time) and Thursday of that week was St. Patrick's day.

I am writing this review in my hotel room. I am here for business this week. What I didn't know is this is the week before Christmas so they had parties down on the ground floor for the last few nights. The music and the bass vibrate all the way to the third floor where I am staying at this time. If I would had known this, I would had requested a much higher room because it's hard to wake up when you can't sleep until 1:30AM in the morning. So, if you decided to stay at the City Hotel, first, know why you're here, then ask the attendance appropriately. Who knows, maybe at "other" time, not on St. Patrick's week and Christmas week, things should be tamed(?). But, it never hurt to ask.

Other than that, things are not at all bad:
- The place is very quiet when there's no celebration down stair. Unlike some other hotels where I can hear the people walking outside and on the floor above me. Faint noise, yes, but when your mind already thinking about the long day ahead, it makes a big difference!
- Friendly, and helpful staff. Usually took them less than a few minutes to bring me a pitcher of water when called
- Taxi arrangement is just a simple dial to the front desk
- The restaurant has decent food. Here in the winter, it rains almost all the time so decent food in the restaurant is a plus.
- Geographical location for the hotel is also nice. It's by the river, and if you're lucky enough to have a river view room, perfect!
- Being the only hotel down by the Peace Bridge, and yet closer to all the malls and shops uphill, you know you can't get lost. After half a day treading from shops to shops, you might forget your way back. No problem, just head downhill until you reach the river and then find your way back to the hotel.

What to watch for:
- They said on the printed card that they "change towels every second day"; But for both of my stays, they change it every day. Messy room sometimes is good because at least I know where I left my things :)
- Your power cord might be too short ... to reach your bed from the outlets. In both of my stays, *ALL* of the outlet are on the opposite side of the bed. Thinking of charging your phone and leave it by the bedside, forget about it!
- There's no space in front of the toilet! I'm 5'4". And on my last stay and this week, I banged my head on the wall in the front of the toilet! Comical, yes, but true. If you bang your head, remember - "I told you so!" :)

Other than that, if I come here again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the City Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay higher up if you come in around a major holiday. The week of St. Patrick's day is a *major...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Kevin D
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, you may be interested to know we have made many improvements since your review and hope you choose to stay with us again so we may have a chance to impress.

Lurgan, Co Armagh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I was definitely charged full rate for a four-star room. However, there were all these little things wrong. None of them bad enough to report to the staff. And I wasn't sure they'd care that much with how busy they were with the events. There was a broken light fixture in the room, but still enough light to see. The claimed the wifi works in the rooms, but I had to sit next to the door to use it. Breakfast was over-cooked and left me feeling a bit off. No fresh fruit or anything outside a standard Irish breakfast was to be seen. If you're from Europe or North America, you likely won't enjoy the breakfast.

Room Tip: If you need wifi in the room, mention it. It may help.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MattOhare
CityHotelDerry, Guest Services manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear MattOhare,
Thank you for your review of your last visit, we’ve taken your comments on board and it may please you to know we have recently upgraded our Wi-Fi supplier and as such have no blind spots within the hotel. Breakfast offers a wide selection of cooked to order items accompanying the buffet and fresh fruit selection, and our staff can happily help with fruit or coffee to go. We do hope you will visit again soon.

Guest services manager City Hotel Derry
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

A brief overnight stay to attend a concert. Quick and friendly check-in. Room better than expected with nice touches normally only found in much more expensive hotels and overall we were very happy our choice of the City Hotel. Underground parking (free) was convenient. Breakfast good. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2015
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we have made many improvements since your review, we do hope you may return and let us know how we have improved.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

Got an offer - suite room with confectionary & bathrobes, 4 course evening meal & buffet breakfast.
Hotel clean & modern. Extremely helpful & friendly staff. Fantastic food - really enjoyed our evening meal & breakfast. We were able to take our coffee to the lounge area after the meal which was a nice touch.
Got into the hotel car park - minimal spaces & quite tight but was secure.
Our room was spacious with a beautiful view of the city. The suite was good because it had a living area with sofa, chairs etc separate to bedroom. The confectionary of cold drinks, kitkats & tea coffee etc was a nice touch,
The bed was a bit harder than what I am used to but we still had a great nights sleep.
Would definately recommend and would go back. Very central to keep returning with all our shopping bags!

Room Tip: Get a suite - living area is lovely!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your kind words and are happy to be of service, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.