“great location”

City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We visited this hotel november last year for three nights during the week, it is in a great location as you are minutes away from the main shopping area,bars and entertainment.we arrived around 2 o'clock in the afternoon and our room was ready, when we arrived at our room i went to see what the veiw was like as we were there for an anniversary and wanted it to be special but it was looking onto the back street, my fiance rang reception to see if there was a room with a better veiw and they said they would check and ring us back so we sat down to wait on them ringing back when the door knocked,it was the porter to say they had got another room and he would bring us to it, we opened the door and went to the window where we were looking out onto the river.The staff at this hotel couldn't be more helpful and friendly in all areas of the hotel.the only downfall we had was the last night we were woke out of our sleep with loud music,we thought it was one of the other rooms so we phoned down to reception to complain the receptionist told us that there had been a number of complaint and it was coming from the function room and the manager was dealing with it, finally after about half an hour all was quiet,when we went to check out the next morning they apologised and offered us a free upgrade the next time we stay. The food in the bar and restaurant was lovely and we decided to eat in the hotel the three we stayed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
CityHotelDerry, Guest Services Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Elaine L,
Thank you for your recent review, we are pleased to hear you found the staff so helpful and we were able to help with a move to a room with a view, we do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

The hotel is fine - staff are friendly enough, and the rooms were ok, but nothing special. Could have done with a bit of updating, carpets, curtains etc a little tired.

The gym on the 2nd floor does the job, but very crowded, and the steam room could definitely do with updating. You have to wear a swimming cap if you want to swim, which is just a bit of a pain.

Breakfast buffet was again ok, but just very busy and it took a long time to get anywhere.

There were lots of coach parties during my 3 night stay, and whilst this isn't anything disastrous in itself, it just means a lot of queueing/waiting when you inevitably end up behind 30 of them in a line.

Rooms could do with being a bit more soundproof too; an easily hear phones ringing, doors in the night etc.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the river if possible. Otherwise you'll most likely be looking into a c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback .
The hotel has a continuous program of investment in place to ensure we maintain standards in all areas of the Hotel.
All busy Hotels will have peak periods for breakfast and I apologise for the delays you experienced but we do advise guests of suggested times to avoid these times.
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 20 September 2012

My husband asked me where I'd like to eat for my Birthday dinner and I chose the City Hotel. Oh dear!! - On arrival, we were taken to a window seat and given our Menus to chose from their Twos Company option! I had contacted the Hotel in advance to advise them of my Vegan diet and was advised that this was no problem. It was no problem as I'd later learn they'd made no effort! My options from the Menu were Melon for starter and Chargrilled Vegetables with a side order of my choice for my Main. This, in itself, was poor given the fact that they had been pre-advised of my visit. I decided to have Main course and sweet as the Melon just didn't appeal. My husband chose a chicken and bacon option with Mash. We were given some wheaten bread while we were waiting for our food to arrive - three small slices of wheaten bread on one small side plate between two and a knob of butter. As we were hungry we awaited the arrival of our Main meal. My meal when it arrived - consisted of two minute slices of courgette - charcoaled and shrivelled, one small handful of lettuce torn and thrown, eight chick peas - hard to find but definitely there after an extended search, one minute chunk of red pepper, one and a half baby boiled potatoes - sliced and spread on the outer edge of the huge empty dinner plate and finally six small chunks of dried salad onion. There was no hint of a dressing, sauce or moisture (or food) on the plate!! It looked like the remainder of someone's meal after they'd finished!!! Needless to say, I felt insulted by this and complained only to be told that the Head Chef wasn't happy either and that a ratatouille was now being prepared this time!! I had lost all interest and as my now very hungry Husband was already eating his very average chicken and bacon meal, I decided to eat the side order of chips and some onions we'd purchased as an extra. As this was a special occasion it only added to the shock and disappointment by myself and my Husband. We didn't wait to see what the sweet order would be like - let's face it - the rest was appalling!! The assistant who dealt with the Complaint said she was sorry. I said sorry too - that of all the places I could have chosen for my Birthday to eat, regrettably I'd chosen here. We paid for what we'd had and left!! The City Hotel has left a very bad taste in our mouth! Needless to say, we will not be back!!! It's up to you - I'd chose somewhere else!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank p0part
CityHotelDerry, General Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed feedback.
The service and quality of food that you received on your visit to the hotel are not in keeping with the high standards that our restaurant is known for. We do cater for different dietary requirements and I was disappointed to read that your experience was poor. I have fed this back to the restaurant team.

Can I ask that you contact myself directly at the hotel to discuss

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed in City hotel 15/09/12 Very impressed on entering Hotel A Porter carried our cases to our rooom while my husband parked the car. We were with a wedding party approx 40 people. Platters of food ordered for 9.30 Great selection Samosas saucage rolls and sandwiches. Entertainment great lively uplifting. Rooms modern and very comfortable.Breakfast good selection. Overall very satisfied with stay Will stay here again. Staff excellent.

Room Tip: just feel your stay will be great
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
CityHotelDerry, Guest Services Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear axed18605,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear everything was satisfactory and it’s always nice to hear a guest planning to stay with us again

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed here in July with my Husband and 18 month old. Booked through Supervalu Getaway Breaks. The reception Staff were an absolute pleasure to deal with and very pleasant. I requested a travel cot before we got there and when we got to the room it wasn't there but housekeeping set it up very shortly after that. It wasn't the cleanest travel cot so i would bring your own if you can. The room was quite small considering we had to fit a cot in also, not sure if this was because we booked through supervalu or it was the standard size of the hotel rooms. The breakfast buffet was lovely. We ate across the road in The Exchange and Custom House and would highly recommend these restaurants, especially The Exchange if you have kids.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kai_lin02

Dear Kai_lin02,
Thank you for your comments, we are pleased to hear you found the staff so pleasant, please do let us know on your next visit that you would prefer a larger room as we have many room types available.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Overall I would say the best in the city as your able to walk to the tourist attractions nearby. I stayed from the Friday to the Monday with a friend and my 10 year old. We were given a family room, plenty of space but view was at the back of hotel. Maybe supplying hot chocolate instead of tea and coffee would be nice for the children. I was annoyed there was no fridge in the room although it does state that rooms have mini bars. I have worked in hotels in the past and know what kind of standard was required to gain a 4 star. I was too tempted to look for faults. I found no faults with the staff(really laid back and friendly), food was mouth watering, presented well and large portions, so be careful if having a four course as no room left for the large range of sweets on offer. Large selection available at breakfast and daughter got her fried egg as requested. The hotel is 10 years old and starting to show wear and tear. Carpets need renewed, tiles in reception area chipped, handle bars in lift hanging off(looked like someone has been climbing up it, maybe maintenance men??) Emma at the leisure club was friendly and helpful. Tiles in the steam room badly stained so maybe time to renew. All the barstaff were great at giving us ice for our room as we only drink juice, prices at the bar reasonable. I would return to this hotel but would request a room with a view maybe higher than 3 floors. Got a late checkout and charged £30 for 2 hours, this was a bit expensive for only 2 hours. Next year Derry is the city of culture hopefully all outstanding repairs will be done.

Room Tip: Higher and facing the front
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
CityHotelDerry, Guest Services Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Anne-MarienAislin,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased the staff and food was to your liking. We do appreciate your comments and I’m sure you will be happy to know we do have an ongoing maintenance, service and repair log to make improvements for 2013.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Although in a fantastic location and friendly staff, the rooms had no air conditioning and with the windows only being able to open about an inch, the rooms were too hot and we were unable to sleep. In the morning breakfast was a very poor cafeteria breakfast with steamed scrambled egg,(no other choice available) and everything else deep fried.
Tables dirty and no side plates. Not what you expect from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Charlie896,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased the location and staff added to your stay, we do appreciate all your comments and we do have many air-conditioned rooms available upon request. At breakfast only sausages and potato bread are fried, we do have a wide selection on offer and also items cooked to order such as boiled /fried /poached eggs, omelettes porridge and waffles.