“Great location, cosy and attentive staff”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Rooms were roomy and bright. Has pool and gym and has a central location. Definitely a great place to stay. Breakfast is tasty and we had dinner in the hotel which was also nice, although a limited menu. We were on a super valu package and the meal came with the package so that explained the limited menu.

Bar is in foyer but is a nice place to have a few drinks. The restaurant The Exchange is just across the way which is very tasty and I would definitely recommend trying out though book in advance as gets very busy at the weekends.

We have now stayed here on numerous occasions and would go back again if I was to stay in Derry. Location is brilliant, also has secure car parking under the hotel though very tight spaces if you have a large car- be warned!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

Dear Unar123,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you had a lovely time once again; it may interest you to know that we have added several new suites on our top floor if you are returning for a special occasion I’m sure you won’t be disappointed if you choose to upgrade.

Guest Relations Manager City Hotel Derry

Write a ReviewReviews (2,152)

Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed for one night in April. When we arrived the room semlt of smoke, so we were quickly moved to another room. The staff were apologetic and friendly throughout. It is convenient to the City centre, an easy walk to most things. We had breakfast, whcih was very good and included with the room.

Dear AlanWArmstrong ,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear the staff were able to help so quickly and this didn’t disrupt your stay, we are a non-smoking hotel and we do apologise if a previous guest had not adhered to our regulations.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

My wife and I have stayed in the city hotel on at least seven occasions and Stayed here on Saturday 13th April in a superior room on the fifth floor on a one night b&b and evening meal deal. From booking the room with Laura I would like to say as usual we found the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. On all our stays we have dined in the hotel restaurant and as on this stay we were not disappointed. Reasonably good choice of meals to suit most tastes and the restaurant staff were very attentive and we didn't have to wait too long on our food.
What we really enjoy about the city hotel is the live music and lively atmosphere on Saturday nights. The only down side is that although the hotel had put in new and additional seating in the main lounge area , due to the popularity of the live music with the locals it can be very difficult to get a seat. It Would also make such a difference if their was a larger area for people who enjoy dancing.
When checking out we asked to have a look at the new executive suites on the seventh floor. The suites all themed and decorated to five star standard. This is reflected in the cost of the rooms and would definitely be for that special occasion.
Will definitely be staying again in the city hotel.

Dear Martin M,
Thank you for your review, and your continued custom, we are delighted to have advocates of the hotel that we can welcome back regularly.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I have stayed in the city hotel several times in visiting Derry. It is a great place to stay and walking distance to anything you would need in the city. Staff is great and rooms are clean and well taken care of. The only thing that I did not like is the breakfast. It is always the same every day and if you are staying a long time, it gets old fast. The quality of the food is great, I just wish they would change it up at least once. It has been the same breakfast for the many years I have been coming here.

Room Tip: They have frequent events here on the second floor and it is best to stay on the higher floors, espe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear esliwinski,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you like both the hotel and location; for a bit of variety for breakfast it may interest you to know we also offer an al la carte breakfast menu for some items cooked to order.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We chanced upon the City Hotel, as it was the first place we stopped. First thing you notice is that the bar is full of locals, which is a very good sign. The food looked tasty and I immediately started chatting to a group of Ulster Rugby Union referees who were having their annual dinner in the Hotel. The Hotel was also near capacity and we were lucky to get a room in the end.
Very central and yet very quiet in the rooms. Our window looked out over the river from the 6th floor.
We woke the next morning and had a good old steam bath and Jacuzzi.
I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: High Up and facing the river

Dear Bigspottedcat,
Thank you for your review, and the recommendation, we hope you will return soon, keep an eye out for any upcoming offers through the year.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Last night I was in the City Hotel for a family party and after a very enjoyable evening, unfortunately an accident occurred. I would just like to express my gratitude for the way in which the staff dealt with the situation. I felt they went over and above the call of duty to ensure the incident was dealt with efficiently, and I felt that the staff were genuinely concerned for the lady's welfare. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Eibhlin C,
Thank you for your review, and for choosing us for your family party, I do hope a full recovery has been made, and can I just say the lady in question was a pleasure to help, never lost her smile, and I trust she is doing well; we are pleased we were there to help.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

went for a conference and it was enjoyable. It was a smallish conference so it was a good fit. The location is great as it is a 2 minute walk from the bus station.

the lunches at the conference were excellent and I had a problem at breakfast was expecting a conference call which then got put back so I thought I would be too late for breakfast and I hadn't booked room service - when I phoned down they sent be a full Irish Breakfast up! other hotels would have said I was too late.

the rooms were a little dark though - could do with brighter bulbs

all the staff are very helpful - it gets very busy at the weekend with weekend breakers

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Philip G,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear the staff were able to help with your breakfast requirements, and hope this help add to your stay.