“Perfect hotel for our recent visit to (London)Derry”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I would recommend the hotel highly. Genuinely friendly service. (Beautiful jet black haired locals). Good rooms, great breakfast, near the centre and good value. And you can have a swim before you head for out for the day. There were 13 of us and some fairly tough customers too and all were very happy.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2009

Thank you for your recent review of the City Hotel. Im glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for City Hotel

Reviewed 23 March 2009

a nice hotel. very good location. cute elephant made in to towels in room. nice sized bathroom good shower. bar not a great atmosphere. breakfast good selection. Dinner ok. Checking out had billing problems bookeda 2 night package 2BB1D on bill dinner was added my partner checked out he asked about this and receptionst a prety blonde girl said thats the way it shows up on bills but on looking at bill after leaving the desk i myself checked it i work in a 4 star hotel as a senior receptionist and i discovered the dinner had not been included in rate my partner went back and was told ah this happens i dont think its good enough a lack of communication between departments.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
CitySales, sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2009

Thank you for your recent review of the City Hotel and apologies for the problems you experienced during check out. Our departments within the hotel work very closely together and meet on a daily basis to ensure effective communication but we will investigate your comments further. In the meantime we hope to see you back at the City Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2009

My girlfriend and I arrived at city hotel 9 o clock in the morning hoping to get the room a little early since we had spent the night at stansted airport with hardly any sleep. We met a very nice lady who gave us a room right away and wished us a pleasant stay.
We found the room very comfortable and clean. We decided to eat dinner one night at the hotel and got a 2 courses dinner for 2 persons with a bottle of wine for 25pounds. The resturant staff made us aware of the offer and the food was absolutely great.

We also enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. We have nothing to complain about and we will be staying there again when were travelling to Derry this may.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noelrocks
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2009

Thank you for your review and comments regarding the City Hotel. Im glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in May.

City Hotel Derry

Reviewed 4 March 2009

stayed at this hotel,great location,friendly staff.we were offered a deluxe room at a higher cost with promise of a mini-bar,views of foyle,dressing gowns,slippers etc and accepted,mini-bar consisted of water, fizzy lemonade+2 kit-kats,only 1 pair of slippers,couldnt see the foyle due to the dirt on the windows so dont pay extra for deluxe.breakfast on 1st morning was not good,no wheaten bread,no pastries,only plain yoghurt,they ran out of apple juice-no replacement,granted the 2nd day it was much better but still no wheaten bread except crusts.we booked dinner,the information was transferred from the book to the sheet and no table was available when we arrived,we had to wait 20mins for a table.i wrote to the hotel to alert them to the inadequacies but received no reply

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

As Sales Manager for the City Hotel I was disappointed to read your review of the hotel and I would like to apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay.

In terms of your upgrade to a Deluxe room, there should be two robes and two sets of slippers in the room, so I will ensure our housekeeping staff check all rooms on a daily basis.

We have a contract to get the windows of the hotel cleaned on a monthly basis, therefore we usually do not have any problems with our windows, but I will investigate this further.

Finally with regard to breakfast I can only apologise and assure you that we try to replenish our breakfast buffet as quickly as possible. On mornings that we are particularly busy in the restaurant, it can take longer but our professional team of staff will always endeavour to cater for your requirements.

I hope this will not discourage you from staying with us in the City Hotel again and if you are visiting Derry in the future please let us know and we will offer you a complimentary upgrade.

Sales Manager, City Hotel

Reviewed 22 February 2009

We stayed here for one night and could not fault it! Perfect location on the river Foyle. We had great views from our room. A very short walk to the walled city, shops, bars, restaurants etc.

The staff were lovely. It was great value and we were offered an upgrade to a deluxe room for £15stg. We declined. Our room was well equipped and spacious. Parking was free and secure (well, I felt more secure knowing my car was underground rather than on the street. )

Breakfast was quite nice with a good selection of food. I used the pool and jacuzzi before breakfast, and it was empty and spotlessly clean. The temperature was pleasant.

We didn't have any other meals in the hotel. We ate in Flamin' Jacks around the corner. It was a Tex-Mex style diner with great special offers and large portions. Not for the health-food fanatics!

The bar at the hotel looked quite popular and there was a live band the night we were there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
GMCityhotel, General Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2009

Delighted to see you enjoyed your stay!

I hope you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2009

There is nothing excellent about this hotel, just lots of mediocre and below average service and standards. In that respect it is no different from countless other bland and unremarkable hotels around the world. But if you're looking for somewhere to stay that cares about quality and service, look elsewhere.

A few examples of things my partner and I didn't like:

- Breakfast consisted of the cheapest possible ingredients; the kind of sausages that are made from 'mechanically recovered meat' rather than proper cuts. The orange juice tasted like it was made from power. Even the teabags were so cheap it was hard to get a decent cup out of them.
- Our (only) drink at the (crummy) bar was served with lemon and lime that looked as if it had been cut days before. Dried up and brown at the edges. Two drinks cost over £8.
- The lighting in the communal areas is dingy.
- The restaurant has one tape that repeats over and over. If you're not fed up of this derge during dinner, you get another chance to listen at breakfast. Hope you like "All By Myself"...
- The information in the room (we had 'upgraded' to a deluxe) was inaccurate, so I ended up paying for the internet unnecessarily as it is provided free in deluxe rooms. When I asked for a refund of these charges at reception I was told that the information is "generic", which is why it doesn't explain how to access the internet for free. I had to argue for over 15 minutes to persuade them to refund the £5.88 I had wasted.
- The restaurant menu has typos that the staff are completely aware of (Rear Tart, anyone...?). The fact that the restaurant manager was too lazy to reprint them says a lot about the lengths to which they go in the pursuit of excellence.
- The dessert we tried was chocolate brownies with synthetic out-of-a-bottle chocolate sauce and cheap ice-cream. Cheap crap.
- The car park has a permanent 'full' sign outside, even though "it never is", according to reception staff. Lazy.

When we checked out, the bill was wrong. We had been charged for the meal in the restaurant that should have been included in the package we had booked. Yes, this mistake could happen anywhere, but had I not had a copy of the confirmation email on my iPhone, I'm not sure the would have had relented and taken it back off the bill.

The best thing about this hotel (and, frankly, Derry itself) was leaving.

Leeds8

As general manager of the hotel I was extremely disappointed to read your recent comments on your stay.
I feel it necessary to address the issues you raised.
At the City Hotel we pride ourselves on the customer experience and the standards we strive to acheive.
The hotel has been recently refurbished and I was disappointed to read that you felt it was crummy although we do recognise that in terms of decor, tastes and preferences vary for each individual but overall the feedback we have recieved has been extremely positive.
With respect of breakfast i can assure you that we purchase the freshest of produce which has been sourced locally and in a whole the standards are very acceptable for a 4* offering.
Our music system selects randomly from over 4000 songs and this is updated on a monthly bases and I will be investigating your comments with the supplier to ensure that there is no repetition of songs.
Our Deluxe rooms do include free internet and I apologise for the charge you encountered with your provider but I understand from the reception team that you were refunded the £5.88 directly when this matter was raised at the desk.
The hotel is a very busy city center property and is is therefore extremely difficult to monitor guest departures and priority is given to residents who can access the hotel car park through the key card system, i apologise if this was not made clear to you in check in.

In terms of your comments about the City of Derry , it was disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your time in our historic city which is renowned for its hospitality and unique culture. Derry is almost 1500 years old and being so compact and easy to navigate, most visitors find thier stay in the walled city too short.

On a final point I feel that your overall experience was effected by some minor points and these have escalated to a point where everything became in your eyes "crummy".
I feel this is not the true reflection of the hotel and would be confident to invite you and your wife to return to the hotel where we could demonstrate a better experience and change your mind about the hotel

Regards
GM City Hotel

Reviewed 11 February 2009

Stayed here at the weekend with partner and in-laws. Had bought the 'Its a gift' package for mothers as xmas present. £159 per couple for 2 nights bed, breakfast and one 3/4 course dinner (one course is coffee) with a bottle of wine. The mussel broth was delicious and a great steak - everyone really enjoyed their food, and we can fussy! It also includes free access (if you bring your own swimming cap, otherwise they charge £2) to the pool, sauna jacuzzi and gym.

The location is perfect with all the main attractions, shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, There is free entertainment on a fri and sat nite, albeit geared to a slightly older crowd - but the singer I saw on sat night was good (Des'ree) and a good nite was had by four 32-57 year olds. It was very busy, but a good atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we have made many improvements since your review, we do hope you may return and let us know how we have improved.

Yours sincerely