“Good alternative in Derry”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Limerick
“Good alternative in Derry”
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference that took place at the hotel itself.
The experience was overall positive. The room was spacious and clean, and the staff friendly enough, particularly the conferencing assistants.
One problem was finding a space in the hotel car park. One of my colleagues could not park there and had to go to the pay car park located on the quay, until a space became available. The reception staff were very helpful but had the details of all our reservations wrong for one reason or another, we were lucky that things could be amended without having to try and find another hotel.
Breakfast was average. The bar is a little cramped and the bar staff managed to slip me an out-of-course banknote in change - obviously taking advantage of my not being a local person. There is no free internet access, and we had to purchase vouchers for it.
Overall, it's a good alternative for staying in Derry, central and generally of good quality. It doesn't shine though!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2009
Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor in relation to your stay at the hotel. In terms of car parking, we are limited with only 40 spaces but we can offer residents special rates with the multistorey car pack next door. We also will be upgrading our internet offering to guests over the summer months.

I hope you will return to the City Hotel again in the future.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 13 June 2009

When we arrived there was no problem getting a space in the car park. The pool and steam room was great - I liked the jug of menthol in the latter for clearing your tubes !

Our package included two meals which were both fantastic, my wife had not eaten steak for 20 years but after tasting mine at the first meal, she ordered it herself the next time !

We also got a free tour of the city walls in our package with a Derry guy called Martin which was superb and he went well over the allotted time telling us about the ancient history of Derry up to "Bloody Sunday" and the Peace process.

Breakfasts were great, they even had little pots of Marmite. I usually have to carry my own jar !

Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2009
Thank you for your review of the City Hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to Martin the tour guide and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stayed for 1 night and we had a great start with good car parking and very friendly receptionist called Kieva who could not do enough for us at check in.

The room however, was not good. Very small and we got a lot of noise from outside despite our windows being closed. In addition to this there was no air conditioning.

Room service was poor with the food being dry and tasteless. Breakfast was similar with the bacon etc being cold and tasteless.

Check out was again good and I cannot fault the service at the hotel.

However, the hotel despite being close to the city is more 3 star than 4 star and I would not return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJMWELLINGTON
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Further to your recent review of the City Hotel, i was disappointed to read your comments and feedback.

I will discuss the issues raised with our General Manager and relevant departments and in the meantime i would be grateful if you could forward your contact details to salesmgr@cityhotelderry.com

South coast England
Reviewed 20 May 2009

A five night business stay. I’ve stayed at the City Hotel several times before. As before, I am impressed by the comfort, efficiency and friendliness of the hotel and its staff. I had a room on the 5th floor, with a fabulous river view. Very quiet, no corridor disturbances (even though I was here over a weekend). I had a lot of writing to do during my stay, and the work bench in my executive room made this very efficient (very worth the extra cost to a Premier Inn, where you are cramped at a small desk in front of a mirror).

One benefit of the City Hotel, is its underground car park (space for 40 vehicles). This is great during the week, although gets full at weekend, but there is ample parking outside in the pay-car park by the river. The hotel car park is tightly designed (to accommodate 40 cars) and (driving an unfamiliar hire car) I managed to scrape my car on a concrete pillar. My fault entirely, and fortunately I had taken out maximum insurance at the car hire centre at Belfast City Airport, so it did not cost me. But be warned, be very careful in the car park.

I was working in Derry for 5 days, and people asked me where I was staying. When I told them, all commented approvingly, mentioning the hotel’s reputation for good food. Although I only ate there twice in the evenings, I agree. The breakfasts are good quality and value as well.

Nine out of ten points for the City hotel. Why not ten points? Room service staff in the mornings seem to be a little over-assertive in entering rooms without sufficient enquiries to ascertain whether this is convenient for the guest (I was in the shower on one such occasion – at about 9.15am). For the rest of my stay, I kept the chain on my door when I was in my room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Silverhill
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Thank you for your comments and feedback from your stay in the City Hotel. I will ensure to pass on your comments to our room service staff and in the meantime we look forward to welcoming you back to the City Hotel.

St. John's, NL
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Myself and three friends stayed at City Hotel for 9 nights during the month of April. We were quite impressed with the food, wine, and service. In particular, the evening dining wasincerdible at the hotel. The wine selection was adequate and the food was divine. Some of the benefits associated with our stay was it's convenient location for shopping, other restaurants, and pubs. Also, the Tourist Inforamtion was literally a 2 minute walk from the hotel. The staff were professional and friendly. I would hoghly recommend the Derry City Walk around the walls of Derry. This is a one hour historical walk that commences about a 5 minute jaunt from the Hotel. Interesting history related to the outward migration of Irish citizens to American soil. Beutiful buildings along the route that have been standing for centuries. A must see while in Derry.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank banshee52
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2009
Thank you for your review and impressive comments relating to the City Hotel. Im glad you enjoyed your time in the City and we look forward to welcoming you back to Derry again soon.

Wemyss Bay
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Visited City Hotel Derry Easter Weekend. Hotel was great value for money, rooms were smart & clean, executive rooms were a bit bigger. Ate in hotel both nights on the set menu with bottle of wine per couple included - excellent value and food was lovely. Bar was also nice although very busy in the evenings. Staff were at all times pleasant & helpful, all in all a good weekend hotel close to local attractions.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2009
Thank you for your recent review of the City Hotel and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your Easter break in Derry. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Recently returned from a stay at the City Hotel Derry.What can i say ? We were very impressed with it.The room was great,staff so friendly,even got an upgrade free gratis.Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice,hoping to return again at the end of may if we get a similar deal.Big thanks to Laurie who gave up his time to show us round the city (top man). We would reccomend the hotel to anyone looking for a base to explore Derry.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marjon
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2009
Thanks for your review of the City Hotel and great to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to seeing you back in the hotel soon.