“Deceiving staff during booking” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Derry
St. Catharines, Canada
“Deceiving staff during booking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very frustrated staying at this hotel. Before booking a room I asked if there was wireless internet access at the hotel as both my husband and I had a bunch of stuff we needed to get done. I was told there was free wireless in the lobby and I could pay for access in my room. This was good enough for me so I booked a room.
When I set myself up in the lobby to do my work there was no wireless internet. When I spoke to the guy at the desk he told me that the city provides the free internet and if I can't get it that is not his fault. I pressed the issue stating that he had told me that there was free access in the lobby and that is why I booked the hotel. He reluctantly gave me a complimentary internet code but refused to give one to my husband so we were only able to use internet on one device.
This was very frustrating...it costs them nothing extra to give us internet....something that they told me we would have but they wanted to make an extra buck by making me pay for the second code.
I found this all very dishonest and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I would not stay here again even if I did not require internet simply because I don't think they are very honest.
Also, the parking situation is very difficult - they don't have enough spots for all the guests. I also noticed that many guests were getting very confused by the elevator which requires you to swipe your room key...many people ended up going to multiple floors before they made it to their desired destination.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Andrea K
, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Andrea,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel. Due to our central location and being the only Hotel located within the citys historic walls we decided do provide free underground parking for guests which is on a first come basis. However if we receive a specific request from any guest to reserve a space we are happy to do this if available and this has proven to be very succcessful with our guests in the past. We have lift access to all floors within the Hotel and this is operated by simply swiping your room key and pressing the floor number you desire. We find this to be very usefull and with the added security feature gives comfort to our guests knowing access is restricted to guests only. The Hotel has WIFI access throughout the entire building and Derry City have kindly given free access to everyone within the city walls and due to our central location this signal can be picked up in the hotel lobby however it seems your device was unable to do this at the time of your visit. If guests require internet access in other areas within the Hotel this can be purchased at reception quite easily. I understand you were given a complimentary internet access voucher during your visit and hopefully this was of benefit to you.

Mike Gatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
south east florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

After touring the North Antrim coast and the Bushmills brewery, we started driving south late in the day. Decided to do a little driving tour of Derry and got quite turned around, then looped back and found ourselves in the mid of town. We saw the Tower hotel and noted that Rick Steves commented on it in his travel guide, so we stopped in to inquire about a room rather than drive late into Sligo. The receptionist was friendly and delightful, gave us a reasonable rate which included breakfast. Like another reviewer, we also walked over to Fitsroys for dinner and were not disappointed. The 30% off the bill was great!
Our room was clean & comfortable, and faced the busy street. Thankfully, it quieted down as it got later. My only complaint, the one window that opened to the street was not enough air flow, it was cool enough outside but the room was stuffy and warm.
The breakfast buffet was excellent and the staff lovely.
As others have commented, it is a great location and easy walking to shops and sites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank spankyangel
, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hello Spankyangel,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on tripadvisor. We are delighted that we were of assistance to you on your journey and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to this wonderful City.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Had such a good weekend at the Tower Hotel. Right in the centre of Derry with everything on your doorstep. Staff were fantastic especially Angela who Organised everything! Will definately be back again and would be highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hello Irishgal123

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear your stay was excellent and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

If you want a City centre hotel, this is it. Great value, if you book in advance. The rooms are fine, only thing I would recomend is robes and slippers in the top end rooms please. Did not eat here so can not comment on the food.
This hotel is so convienient to the city its amazing. Parking is limited I do advise. The staff make this hotel a dream stay. Special mention to Cherrie at reception, thanks a lot for making a difference you are the jewel in the crown.

Room Tip: book in advance for brilliant value.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ayr UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

First of all a wonderful location in the centre of Londonderry (although fifteen years ago that might not have been as obvious!) You step out of the hotel, walk a few yards and you are in the Diamond Square and the imposing war memorial in the heart of the city. The hotel itself is also excellent - nothing 'flashy', just good bright public areas, good sized, well maintained, clean rooms, and first class food. The staff were also first class, friendly and professional and always welcoming and eager to assist. The layout of the hotel means it never feels crowded, even though there was a coach party in and they were all about in the evening. We would definitely return there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Buncrana, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is a really welcoming hotel. Myself and my wife stayed here recently and we had a great time. The bar is really good. We did not eat in the Restuarant as we were meeting friends but it looked lovely.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed here recently with a large group of girls as we were in Derry for a hen weekend. Everything was perfect in the hotel. As we all arrived a different times the other girls were allowed to check in no problem without us, which i know doesnt happen in every hotel. Staff were lovely the whole time. The next morning we all went down for breakfast and 3 members of staff approached us asking about our night. They then procedded to come over and talk to us while we were eating and asking about our night and what we could do that day in Derry if we werent rushing home. i have stayed in a lot of hotels but the staff have never been as friendly as what they were in Tower Hotel. Although i cant remember all their names, Angela who helped with the booking was very helpful in the lead up and often emailed to check numbers and if we needed any ideas to let her know and she would sort us out. Highly recommended hotel and easy access into city centre. Will definitely be back. :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends