“A "Towering" weekend”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Northern Ireland
“A "Towering" weekend”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We booked a weekend break in the Tower Hotel, Derry to explore the City and relax. The location was great......the only Hotel within the City walls we were told. We had a double room with a lovely comfortable bed and everything was spotlessly clean. All the staff were very friendly and attentive throughout our stay. The breakfast was superb........a seemingly endless buffet which offered healthy options but we plumped for the more traditional breakfast which was cooked to perfection. We intend to visit Derry in the future especially as it is "the City of culture" in 2013 and we will definately stay in The Tower Hotel. We had a brilliant stay and can't wait for a return visit.

1 Thank HartlepoolChick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I have just returned from a week end in at The Tower Hotel in Derry with my boyfriend. The Hotel was fantastic and it's location was ideal. I have never been to Derry. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. I was very impressed with the Buffet Breakfast, the range of food to choose from was out of this world. We checked out and went shopping before leaving Derry. I was very impressed that we were able to leave the car in the hotel car park before doing some last minute shopping. We will definately go back to The Tower Hotel in Derry and next time I will take my sister and her boyfriend with us. We came home feeling very relaxed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 217 and had a lovely view of the surrounding area.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel is just ok, to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it at all for it being a 4* hotel. The rooms were very basic and the room I was in was actually very dull and dark, with very little sunlight getting in through the window. There is very limited parking in the underground car park and I didn't find the car park to be very secure either, people could just walk in and out when they wanted. There was also a problem with the lifts within the hotel, which was very annoying when trying to get up and down to our room. We ate dinner in the bar in the restaurant, which was actually lovely, I recommend the steak! I don't think I will be back, at least it was only a 1 night stay!

Room Tip: The room we were in was on the 2nd floor and it was very noisy, you can hear people in the room next...
2 Thank Tricia M
Ireland
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Let me start by saying that the staff in this hotel are excellent, the food is also excellent, we ate in the bar one night and the breakfast was fab. Parking is limited, but the staff recommended a car park just up the road which charged 50p for the night. Couldn't complain about that! Hotel was very central and within short walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc.
However, I didn't like the room much and the shower had one of those horrible shower curtains that stick to you if you move, some of the seats in the breakfast room had awful looking stains on them, a little bit of TLC and this hotel could be way better! I don't think we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ballinasloe, Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

July 2012.
As an ex company representative I have stayed in hotels across Ireland & beyond, so I know a good hotel when I stay in one & the Tower Hotel in Derry is definately one such hotel.
Located within the walled part of the of Derry it is in the best location possible for a visit to this historic city; for a trip around Donegal's beautiful Inishowen peninsula, or the magnificent coastline of Londonderry & Antrim.

It is a hotel that without doubt gave my wife & I the best value for money ever!
The rooms are large, clean & comfortable!
The food is very good & is not expensive!
Breakfast offers the gut busting "Ulster Fry" or a continental style one!
Drink is affordable!
Staff aren't good, they are excellent, being friendly & helpful.

It has its own secure car park under the hotel!
A sauna & exercise rome is also available.

The main area for pub music is with 50 meters of the hotel, although it is a pity the music doesn't start at 9.00 instead of 11.00pm!

Do take the 50 minute bus tour of the city if one wants to get an impartial history & tour of the city.

Pity we only could stay two nights.

If anyone in Derry council reads this, please accept our thanks for a brilliant Clipper Yacht festival & the great concerts.
Please allow tickets for the concerts to be posted out next time.

Bernie & Terry - Galway

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very frustrated staying at this hotel. Before booking a room I asked if there was wireless internet access at the hotel as both my husband and I had a bunch of stuff we needed to get done. I was told there was free wireless in the lobby and I could pay for access in my room. This was good enough for me so I booked a room.
When I set myself up in the lobby to do my work there was no wireless internet. When I spoke to the guy at the desk he told me that the city provides the free internet and if I can't get it that is not his fault. I pressed the issue stating that he had told me that there was free access in the lobby and that is why I booked the hotel. He reluctantly gave me a complimentary internet code but refused to give one to my husband so we were only able to use internet on one device.
This was very frustrating...it costs them nothing extra to give us internet....something that they told me we would have but they wanted to make an extra buck by making me pay for the second code.
I found this all very dishonest and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I would not stay here again even if I did not require internet simply because I don't think they are very honest.
Also, the parking situation is very difficult - they don't have enough spots for all the guests. I also noticed that many guests were getting very confused by the elevator which requires you to swipe your room key...many people ended up going to multiple floors before they made it to their desired destination.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Andrea K
, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Andrea,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel. Due to our central location and being the only Hotel located within the citys historic walls we decided do provide free underground parking for guests which is on a first come basis. However if we receive a specific request from any guest to reserve a space we are happy to do this if available and this has proven to be very succcessful with our guests in the past. We have lift access to all floors within the Hotel and this is operated by simply swiping your room key and pressing the floor number you desire. We find this to be very usefull and with the added security feature gives comfort to our guests knowing access is restricted to guests only. The Hotel has WIFI access throughout the entire building and Derry City have kindly given free access to everyone within the city walls and due to our central location this signal can be picked up in the hotel lobby however it seems your device was unable to do this at the time of your visit. If guests require internet access in other areas within the Hotel this can be purchased at reception quite easily. I understand you were given a complimentary internet access voucher during your visit and hopefully this was of benefit to you.

Kind Regards

Mike Gatt
south east florida
Reviewed 27 June 2012

After touring the North Antrim coast and the Bushmills brewery, we started driving south late in the day. Decided to do a little driving tour of Derry and got quite turned around, then looped back and found ourselves in the mid of town. We saw the Tower hotel and noted that Rick Steves commented on it in his travel guide, so we stopped in to inquire about a room rather than drive late into Sligo. The receptionist was friendly and delightful, gave us a reasonable rate which included breakfast. Like another reviewer, we also walked over to Fitsroys for dinner and were not disappointed. The 30% off the bill was great!
Our room was clean & comfortable, and faced the busy street. Thankfully, it quieted down as it got later. My only complaint, the one window that opened to the street was not enough air flow, it was cool enough outside but the room was stuffy and warm.
The breakfast buffet was excellent and the staff lovely.
As others have commented, it is a great location and easy walking to shops and sites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank spankyangel
, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hello Spankyangel,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on tripadvisor. We are delighted that we were of assistance to you on your journey and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to this wonderful City.

Kind Regards