“Location Excellent”

Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This hotel appeared to be the only hotel within the city walls. Hence an excellent location - just off the Diamond, also very convenient to walk the walls. There is limited parking.
The breakfast was very busy and impersonal - all mass produced. Adequate but nothing to write home about !!
We had a drink in the bar but I must admit I thought it lacked a bit of atmosphere. We had our evening meal in Fitzroy's - go out the front door of the hotel, turn left, walk across "The Diamond," and head down towards Dunnes Stores. It was a busy venue and we got a nice meal.
I would definitely recommend the Martin Mc Crossan Walking Tour, We found the people of Derry very friendly and welcoming

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Ariii

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, we are indeed the only hotel located within the City Walls, we are sorry that you found breakfast to be busy as sometimes we have full occupancy and you can find sometimes guests will all come at one time and we try to manage this as best we can. We do have live entertainment at weekends in our Lyric Bar which is complimentary for all guests we hope maybe if you return you can enjoy this. It is great you enjoyed your walking tour and we really hope you will visit us again

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Excellent welcome, great food and service. The glazed duck with honey was superb! Also, the prices are worth it when considering it is sitauted in the heart of the city. It has a spetacular view of the popular derry walls and is very close to several tourist attractions like the famous murals

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bernice V
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Bernice V

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of your stay with us, it is great you enjoyed your meal and our location and prices were great. We hope that you will come back and visit and we are delighted you had such a great time.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Overall had a lovely stay at this hotel. Rooms very spacious. We were overlooking the road and on a Saturday nite I thought it would be noisy but it wasnt bad at all. Excellent breakfast. Had a issue with the hairdryer and the welcome brochue not being there but the girls on reception were brilliant and very helpful. Had a few drinks in their lovely bar as well. Excellent location will be back to visit them again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Magot

Thank you for choosing the Tower Hotel and for such a lovely review. It is great that our reception team was helpful during your stay. It is great you will be back to visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst attending an event at "The Venue" just over the river. Handy central location near the walls, restaurants and bars, but the decor in the room was a bit tired, though I understand they are being refurbed soon. Decent breakfast.

As a light sleeper, I noticed that my room was facing the road, so I asked the receptionist if it was OK to swap with my colleague, whose room was at the rear (and could sleep through a war). She agreed and this is what I did. As soon as I entered the room, there was the sound of what I thought was a small motorbike coming from outside. It turned out to be the extractor fan from the kitchen. I checked my colleagues room and, as expected, due to its proximity to the road, it was noisy, so I asked at reception if it was possible to move rooms, but I was informed this wasn't possible as they were full, however I was assured that the fan would be switched off at 9PM. When I returned to the hotel at 11:30PM it was still running, so I called reception and they informed me that I had been given incorrect information - the fan ran all night. Result - very little sleep in a very hot room that I couldn't cool down by opening the window as that made the noise even worse.

The next night I asked to move rooms, but was informed the only room available was two floors below mine and therefore nearer to the source of the noise. I was informed again that the fan would be turned off at 9PM. Despite me querying this due to the previous night's events, I was assured this would happen. When I returned to the hotel at 11PM, you guessed it, the fan was still running. Result - another hot and sleepless night.

I didn't appreciate being lied to by the staff, and it's unlikely I'll be going back.

Room Tip: Bring some ear plugs!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Gary B
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Gary B

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, we apologise that the noise of the fan had affected your stay and I have contactedy you and hope to hear from you soon. My direct email is afitzpatrick@thd.ie should you wish to contact me.

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night and it was okay. We managed to get the last parking spot which was great. While we were there, the lobby wifi went down. The front desk provided me free access for 24 hrs, but when my travel companion asked, they told her no and that she had to pay for it or be patient until the free wifi came back up. The next morning, one of the card readers in the elevator broke. The room while spacious and clean was quite warm. Overall, it was just okay for me.

• Stayed: September 2013
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

IrishTravelingGirl

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Tower Hotel, we did experience a WIFI problem whilst you were here at the hotel and this was rectified shortly after we hope that your companion was able to then avail of this complimentary WIFI in our lobby. We issued you with a complimentary WIFI pass which the hotel covers the cost with an external company as this was a gesture as it seemed WIFI was an important aspect for you during your stay and we didnt want you to be inconvienced. The elevator reader did as you mentioned break but this was fixed when the Elevator Maintenance Team arrived at the hotel the same day. We are happy you found our rooms to be spacious and clean. We do hope that you would come back and visit in the future as the aspects of WIFI and Elavator were out of the hotels control but were addressed and fixed as soon as possible.

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel was excellent, staff give us 1st class service. Cant wait to go back again. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for value for money and a great weekend away. Excellent shops and entertainment all close by.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank summerhols64
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Summerhols64

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Tower Hotel and for leaving such a lovely review, we are delighted you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel seems obsessed with using the term "luxurious" to describe their rooms, which are anything but. With decor themes from the 1970's, the rooms are bland and boring. The hotel restaurant and staff however made my stay a pleasant experience, especially Daran in the hotel restaurant. The location is great and provides free parking. This is the only hotel inside the city walls and within walking distance to the hop-on / hop-off bus, shops and pubs, which offset the expectation of a so called luxurious room. Get rid of the yellow and brown scheme with blonde furniture and update this great property....pleeeease! I will give you three stars, but the staff deserves 4.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlesodonnell

Dear Charlesodonnell

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, as I am sure you will appreciate the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishments and I am sure you will have noticed improvements in our lobby and Lyric Bar which were recently completed, the bedrooms are next to be refurbished. We are delighted that you had a lovely time here and that the restaurant staff ensured you had a great experience. We hope that you will come back and see the new improvements in the future.