“Great break”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Great break”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here with my wife prior to Chrismas to get some shopping done while also having a break, the hotel was excellent with all of the staff very helpful and accomodating. The rooms were large and well appointed with my only minor gripe that I was in a room overlooking a flat roof but as I was only staying for the one night that did not rally matter. Food in the restaurant was great and the selection layed on for breakfast was amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Buckwine

Thank you for choosing the Tower Hotel for your Christmas Shopping break, we are delighted you had such a great time during your stay, if you ever visit us again please email me on afitzpatrick@thd.ie and I will ensure you are allocated to a room with a lovely view of the city.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here in December 2013 with my mum and sister for the night and we had a wonderful time.

The staff were very friendly and helpful; they called us as soon as our room was ready which meant we were able to pop in and dispose of our shopping bags before heading out again.

The food in the restaurant was second to none and as a vegetarian, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of my dish.

Rooms were very comfortable and well proportioned and the location was fantastic; close to all the shops and attractions.

We will definitely visit again in the summer when the weather is better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Maria B

We are so happy that you and your Mother had a great time during your stay with us, it is great that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer (hopefully the sun will be out) :-) We look forward to seeing you again.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Attended a wedding here on new years eve and deceided to book a family room for handiness...the food was lovely and the staff were very friendly..No complaints from me ...I wud definately recommend....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Colette_1234_ 13

Thank you for your lovely review, we are so happy you had a lovely time at the wedding held here and we hope that maybe you will come back in the future for a wee break away.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Myself and my Husband Patrick would like to Thank The Tower Hotel for their Excellent Service, that made our day so special. It was the perfect venue for our day. Its in the heart of the City and from the Hotel Rooms we had a full view of the town, surrounded by the Cities famous walls. The Hotel itself looks beautiful and it has a lovely warm welcoming feeling to it.

The staff are friendly, helpful and accommodating. Always willing to help and provided service with a smile.

The food was Excellent, and our guests have all said the same.

It really was a great pleasure to have shared our special day at The Tower Hotel. We can honestly say that we have met some lovely people, the staff made our day run smoothly, from the help and support from Catherine, Shaun, Eimear, Paul and Shauneen and all the staff.

We highly recommend The Tower Hotel, and will definitely return in the future.

Ciara Mc A xx

Room Tip: Great view of the City, excellent location.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear MCALISTER2013,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding, we are so happy that we shared your special day with you. I have passed all your lovely comments to our staff and we wish you all the happiness in the world. Wishing you many happy years together

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had a wonderful stay. Comfortable bed & comfortable room, wonderful breakfast buffet & friendly staff. Derry is a fabulous spot to visit & amazing history, fun to stay right in the middle of it all!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mandy W

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, we are delighted you had suh a lovely stay with us. Thank you for your lovely review and should you ever visit Ireland again we hope that you will stay with us 'in the heart of the city'

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in one of the tower suites to celebrate our one year anniversary. The room was huge, 4 separate rooms, comfortable couches, a very large bed, and magnificent views of the walls and the Bogside. It was beautiful, especially at this time of year with the Christmas lights around the city.

Around 10 pm however the noise started. We figured it was due to the hotel's bar and that the noise would stop when they closed so we weren't too concerned. However the noise continued until about 3:30am and neither of us got any sleep until then. There were large groups of people outside on the hotel sidewalks and in the street screaming, singing, yelling, etc. I called down to the front desk at around 2am and asked if there was anything that could be done about the noise. I was told that it was from a party that was held at the hotel, that everyone was on their way home and that the noise should stop soon, but that there wasn't anything they could do, no apology or anything. I felt that the hotel had every right to at least go outside and tell everyone they needed to leave or come back inside so their other guests could at least attempt to sleep, especially since it was a party hosted by the hotel and not just random people on the street, but that obviously wasn't done. The noise however didn't stop soon like I was told, and continued for almost another 2 hours.

When we checked out the next morning we mentioned this to the front desk again and the girl who we talked to was very apologetic and seemed much more concerned about it than the man I talked to when I called down the night before.

Overall like I said, the hotel itself was very nice and comfortable, but if you're looking to spend a nice quiet romantic night alone, especially on a weekend, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, and we probably will not be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Luvbughcj,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Tower Hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed our suite during your stay. We are disappointed that the noise has disturbed your lovely stay with us, it is so hard sometimes being a city centre hotel and especially around Christmas time, people are in party moods and this is a really busy time at the hotel, we are deeply sorry that this affected your stay with us. We hope that you will choose to come back at a different time of year and you will notice that this insident is not always the case.

Essex
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have never been disappointed with the Tower from the friendly greeting at my first visit to the smiling "welcome back" in subsequent stays, friendliness which makes all the difference. This is a hotel which delivers what it promises. It maintains consistent and proper standards without pretence, correctly avoiding the glitzy and hollow. This visit I took a suite which, with breakfast served to the accommodation, cost around £90. For the City centre, amazing convenience and a secure car park this was hugely good value. Return visits are a sure fire recommendation and I would not willingly stay in any other Derry hotel.

Room Tip: Ask reception for help and advice as they will do their level best to help you
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo