“Perfect location”

Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great hotel! So central in Derry. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Only major downside is the lack of car parking while we were lucky to get one, others weren't and that would be a problem. Dinner was amazing! Breakfast, less so. Not a great selection for vegetarians. Also the waiters did not once offer us a pot of tea or coffee, we had to keep getting up from our table to fill our little cups. I got shouted at by a rather hot and bothered waitress for picking up a plate beside the food. ( apparently the plates are hidden underneath a hot plate- this wasn't at all obvious). But I wouldn't hold that against the staff in general. Everyone else was very friendly and helpful. Derry is a great little city with a lot to see and do. The Tower is perfect for sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Tara K
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2015

Dear Tara K,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value all our guest's feedback. I was disappointed to read that you found breakfast at the hotel less than satisfactory and I apologise as this is not our usual standards. I am delighted that this did not influence your opinion of the hotel and you did enjoy your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in June and have another 4 nights coming up this week. Great Hotel, really nice staff, good food, good Leisure facilities, nice cold Guinness (only the only 1 I might add 'cos quite simply it had to be done). This seems a really popular hotel for American and Canadian tourists. Really good location for the city,tourist places and the river (all a very short walk)Well recommended, even more so if you don't have a car (car park is the only downside). All in all great Hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank PIW1965

Dear PIW1965,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we welcome all feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've recently come back from a short stay at the Tower and would like to recommend It to anyone thinking of visiting Derry. The rooms are spotless and well equipped. The thing that sets this little hotel apart from others though is the totally brilliant, pleasant, well informed and staff. Thanks to Margarite and Katherine the wonderful reception staff, we had a brilliant stay. Thanks girls!!!!!. I can highly recommend the restaurant as we ate there the second evening and had a superb meal of sea bass....yummy!! My only regret is that we didn't eat there the first evening also. So tower hotel keep up the good work and rest assured we will be back ASAP.
NOT to be missed also is Martin's walking tour just ask at reception for information. Highly entertaining and informative and a real must do to get a feel of
Derry/Londonderry/LegenDerry/stroke city>

3  Thank luckymutt
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2015

Dear Luckymutt,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we welcome all feedback. I amd elighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Excellent staff, good location inside the walled city of Derry. Parking can be a bit of a problem at busy times. Room was very well appointed with adequate facilities. Breakfast was superb. Stepping into bath for a shower could be a problem for older or infirm customers.

Room Tip: Room with a view over city

Dear Aussie97,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hotel was a bit expensive but for the very centre of the city in Derry/Londonderry it was an acceptable price.

It was very easy to find and there was no issue parking in the hotel basement car park. I think there is limited space though.

The room was lovely, try and get a city view if possible.

There was one major flaw and we did complain. Charging for Wifi. For me that's just not appropriate. We ended up just taking our business across the street to Wetherspoons who have free wifi. We did complain and they staff explained there was some contractual commitment and that it was a regular complaint.

Other than that I would recommend this hotel, the wifi being my big bug barer.

Places to socialise Peadar O Donnells is near the hotel. The hotel is right beside the Walls of Derry, it's no more than 2-3mins walk from the Guildhall.

Oh and the biggest issue was the church bells nearby! Every 15mins! So don't stay out too late, the bells will wake you!

Room Tip: Ask for a City view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank PMcDonald

Dear PMcDonald,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel where you can avail of our free wifi that we now offer all of our guests.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room was a bit small but had all the services. The staff girl at reception was excellent. She directed us to the place where the tour of the walls started. The food was pretty standard for a 4 star. Like all hotels nowadays the breakfast was kept warm in those stainless steel heaters which does affect the quality of the food. The location was a big advantage being plumb in the centre of the walled city. There was some music in the bar on a monday night which whiled away the night although we left later for Peadar O'Donnells towards the Bogside for more traditional music. Derry is a fantastic place to visit for history, music and friendly people. Its a justified 4 star but its location is its big plus point.

Room Tip: Dont have any.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2015

Dear Corkies,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value all guest feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Recently stayed in the Tower Hotel and have to say the experience was excellent.

We don't live very far away but we decided to stay in Derry because we were attending an event and it made more sense to stay over (felt like I needed to explain myself there!). Anyway, we got a great deal - The Very Superstitious deal! (It was Friday the 13th). This deal consisted of an overnight stay, breakfast, evening meal and the deal clincher...a free cocktail. All for...wait for it...£89.00

We arrived pretty late, the lady at reception was very friendly, booked us in, reserved our table for dinner and organised the free carpark for us. The carpark was pretty full and one car was taking up 2 of the limited spaces (grrrr) but I managed to plonk the car and I left it there all night and most of the next day free of charge which was great in the city centre!

The room was comfortable, clean and basic, perfect for a one night stay. We had to rush down to dinner as last orders were at 8:45, it was now 9:05 (oops). When we arrived in the virtually empty restaurant we began apologising for our lateness and commented on how awkward it would be and perhaps we should go somewhere else! However, the gentleman serving in the restaurant immediately dispelled that awkwardness and was extremely accommodating and friendly throughout our meal. Exactly the type of personality needed in a hotel restaurant. The food which followed was nothing short of delicious - compliments to the chef. My girlfriend actually commented in how the chicken was the 'Best chicken she had ever tasted!' and she knows her chicken - apparently it was free range chicken cooked from fresh. My steak was equally mouthwatering.

The location of the hotel was perfect too, within walking distance to all the bars, nightspots and shops..

In all, a fantastic, very reasonably priced stay in the Tower Hotel. We'll be back! Thank you

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2015

Dear Emile R,
Thank you for your review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the renamed Maldron Hotel.
Rachael Burns.