“Great spot for lunch”

Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Having completed a walk around Derry's Walls, if was time for a bite of lunch and a drink.
We called into the Tower Hotel which is the only hotel inside the Walled City.
When we entered the hotel we were greeted by a gentleman who showed us into the Grill Bar.
He turned out to be the hotel's general manager!
Myself and family were shown to our seats and immediately made to feel at home.
We were then greeted by a waiter who took our drinks order. The waiter was very pleasant and welcoming.
Shortly after our drinks arrived we ordered lunch.
The lunch did not disappoint. The food was excellent, reasonably priced and the service was first class.
If you're in the City for Business purposes, as a tourist or just shopping, it's well worth stopping in the Tower Hotel for lunch.
The dinner menu looked equally as good and the staff make your visit pleasant and welcoming!
We will certainly call here again on our next visit to Derry.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank TravellerRP
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear TravellerRP,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I apologise for my late reply. I am delighted that you enjoyed lunch in our Lyric Bar and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.
Rachael Burns.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I'm going to keep this short and sweet as I can go on and on about how I love this city. But of course, the review will be focused on this particular hotel. First of all, the rooms were fairly clean and well stocked for the single traveler. The bed was comfortable and I have no qualms about it. The staff was very friendly and helpful...very, VERY indicative of this city. The location of this establishment is located right next to the "wall", so that it is very convenient to just to hop up the stairs and tour the city by foot. The area closest to this part of the wall is the "Bogside" (location of the horrible "Bloody Sunday" massacre). The view NOW is not of wired fences and armed men..but a thriving area re-built, but still, with the haunting images of the past in the form of murals. Now the downside...It was REALLY noisy on the particular weekend I stayed. NOT TO THE FAULT OF THE ESTABLISHMENT...but it's like any other busy city on the weekend...but at a Northern Irish level. ;) The second issue is with the water. If one attempts to take a shower whilst every one else is trying to take a shower, there may be a hot water pressure issue....please take note of this. With all things said, I would again stay at this hotel with a few minor adjustments on my part.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Henry T
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2015

Dear Henry T,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value all guest feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I booked into the hotel, first time leaving our teenagers at home. We were welcomed warmly by staff, freshened up quickly, then out to the shops. We had booked dinner in the restaurant and we were not disappointed. The salmon was mouthwatering and the duck spring rolls were also delicious. We then headed into the lyric bar and enjoyed the live music, some Guinness and good company. We were very fortunate during our stay to be allocated to the Erin suite, which added another dimension to our stay at the tower. Our breakfast was cooked to perfection and the freshly baked breads and danish were an additional treat. We explored the city, walked along the walls and embraced the culture of Derry. A wonderful experience overall.

Room Tip: If possible, spend a few extra pennies for a suite in the tower. The views and ambience are well wor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2015

Dear Julie C,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is advertising itself as a 4 star hotel, but it would seem that this time has long since gone. The rooms and public spaces of the hotel are clearly showing signs on ageing and a total refurbishment is long over due. That being said, it is not a bad place to be staying at. The room we were given was still clean and specious, the service was nice friendly and the location is right at the heart of the Derry Old Town, just opposite to the city walls.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 559ThomasD
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2015

Dear 559ThomasD,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value all guest feedback. Since your stay with us we have become the Maldron Hotel and I am pleased to tell you that renovations have now started in our bedrooms of which we hope to have complete later this year. I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay and found our staff very friendly and helpful. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is the second time my husband and l have stayed at the Tower Hotel in recent months and it was another very enjoyable visit.. When we checked in we were allocated the Eleanor Suite as a birthday surprise - big thank you to Margarita. The complementary bottle of bubbly was very much appreciated. The evening meal was delicious and breakfast was very good with plenty of choice on offer. The hotel is in a great location inside the walled city. It is handy to the shops, numerous restaurants and bars. We found all the staff very friendly and welcoming which makes the Tower Hotel an even more pleasant hotel to stay in. We look forward to a return visit in the not too distant future and have highly recommended this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debs08

Dear Debs 08,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value all our guest feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forwadr to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked a family room early July.When we got there having waited 3 Hrs to check in,we were given just a double room. We then had a 2 hr wait for them to get our room ready which turned out to be a room for disabled guests.Not ideal to say the least.This hotel claims to be 4 star but it's only at the most a 3 star.We visited a 4 star in Donegal whilst over in Derry. The difference was substantial .I don't know how they got the 4 star accreditation.Also they did not ensure the no smoking was managed as near our room there was a strong smell of smoke. The cleaner knew which room it was coming from when we mentioned it. No not impressed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2015

Dear gmbfto,
Firstly thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review. I was dissappointed to read that you found your stay less than satisfactory. I appreciate all your comments and can assure you that this is definatley not the usual high standard here at the hotel and for this I apologise. If you decide to stay with us again I would be delighted to welcome you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is the perfect spot for visiting Derry
The Guildhall is right across the road
Shopping within a hop and a skip
Rooms we're clean and comfortable food was excellent
Staff were more than helpful
They even managed to get me an appointment for a pedicure
Thank you to all will def be back.
Brid from cork

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tadghgoggin

Dear Tadghgoggin,
Thank you for your review and I amd elighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forwadr to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.