“Wonderful Stay”

Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Derry
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of July for 2 nights. On checking in with cycles the two girls on reception, Broghan & Margarite, could not have been more helpful. They gave us ideas of where to eat and told us of the walking tours which they booked us onto the next morning. Breakfast was superb with a good choice of hot and cold items. .... definitely one to try

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gwen A
MaldronHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Dear Gwen A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.
Rachael Burns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We really enjoyed our time in Derry. The Tower Hotel was very nice, but there was a lot of street noise late into the night. If you get a room facing west, you'll be overlooking the pubs...which explains the late night noise. It's best to get a room on the East side, much quieter. Rooms were nice, restaurant was fine. The music at the next door Lyric Bar was good, although a little loud. Can you tell I've reached the age where loud is not a positive? :)

Room Tip: Again, get a room on the east side of hotel...much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlennyB58
Dear Glenny B58,
Thank you for your review as we welcome all guest feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamede Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Amaxing hotel, great place to stay thourghly recommend it to anyone. Great spot in the heart of the city. Right. In the centre of the derry walls. Rooms are clean the place else where is spotless food and drink are extremly nice.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Christy S
Hello Christy S,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel.
Rachel Burns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

What an amazing warm welcome, I was made to feel an honoured guest and returning daughter (Derry is my birth city). Lovely LARGE and airy room and restaurant, super view of gate in ancient city walls, imaginative food, ever so friendly personal service and location exactly as claimed (unlike some hotels!) in centre of the city.

Derry wonderful too. At peace. And you MUST walk over the miraculous peace bridge now spanning the once dividing river. Lovely friendly taxi drivers as well and efficient buses service.

I will CERTAINLY go back, if only for the delight of returning to the Tower hotel (good name!)

Thanks to you all, specially the waiters (above all - how could I have forgotten your name - the friend of my father's friend) and the reception staff. Excellent value, specially the room rate

Love to you, Ruth

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of walls or other landmark
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ruth F,
Thank you very much for your review as we welcome all guest feedback. I apologise for my late response to your review but I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.
Given, West Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on July 25th. We were spending the night before my sister's wedding and we had come from the United States for the big day. It had been a few years since I was last in the Tower Hotel and I was looking forward to staying there again. I work in hospitality and when people asked me for places to stay for upcoming trips I always mentioned the Tower Hotel.

It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.

We were housed in Room 106, and the room was much too warm. It was so warm that neither my wife nor I could sleep ahead of the wedding. There was no way to cool the room, and the windows opened maybe an inch. Thoroughly frustrated I phoned down to the Front Desk and spoke with an employee by the name of Gary who could not have cared less. His replies were;
"Not my fault that it's hot"
"Nothing I can do about it"
and
"You're going to have to talk to a manager about it in the morning"
None of these are responses that I particularly wanted to hear at 3:30am. There was no attempt to offer any solutions. Nothing. As someone who also works in the hospitality industry this is simply appalling. People pay for a hotel room for a night's sleep. That fact seemed to escape this staff member, Gary, who was evidently entrusted with running the hotel overnight.

My wife and I had to lie on the floor near the window in the vain attempt to get any sleep.

When I spoke with Gary the next day to request more towels I gave him my room number and he either didn't remember the pleading calls during the night desperately trying to get some help, or he didn't care enough to attempt any level of service recovery. The only attempt that was made was by the lady at the desk asking how our stay was and, upon being told of the lack of help from Gary, asked if we wished to speak with a manager. We were unable to avail of this opportunity because we were waiting on a lift to the church. It should be noted however that we did send an email to this hotel asking for a manager's contact details so that we may take this issue further. No reply was ever received, much to our frustration.

Thoroughly exhausted and severely lacking any sleep my wife and I attended my sister's wedding, our enthusiasm somewhat dampened thanks to the complete lack of hospitality we received at this establishment. Needless to say that we will not be able to recommend this establishment to anyone else in good conscience, much less stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank IEinIN
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here very recently and we were delighted with our choice. Our first impression was just how friendly all the staff were especially marguerite on reception nothing was too much trouble. This hotel is ideal for tours around the city as it is inside the walls with easy access to the centre and all that you might want to see. We booked online for a midweek stay and got exceptional valuefor money. BBreakfast was included in our price and although we were a bit late down there was still ample amount of fresh food available. Very happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marie P
Dear Marie P,
Thank you for your review as we welcome all guest feedback.l I apologise for my late response to your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for recommending our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was very impressed with the standard of the hotel reception adjoining bar and dining room. The reception staff very polite and helpful. We dined in the bar on the evening of our arrival on the recommendation of the girl on reception and were more than happy with the meal and the prices.Breakfast was also very good with attentive staff and a good variety of food to choose from.
Actually being able to get a parking space in the underground car park was also a bonus.
The only fault that I found with the hotel was the standard of the room although spotless and tidy the furniture was dated and damaged. This wouldn't put me of staying there again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William O
Dear William O,
Thank you for your review as we welcome all guest feedback. I apologise for my late response to your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the newly renamed Maldron Hotel on your next visit to the city.