I came here lastnight (3rd september) after having just finished an 18 hour working day. Having decided weeks ago to stay in Derry anticipating an exhausting day I had booked this "hotel". Firstly the website I had originally booked with had mixed up the dates and refused to help so I went from paying a £29 room to £55 due to their mistake. So having almost doubled in price I almost expected a decent room. We arrived very late (1am) and were told the carpark they usually reccommend was now closed for the evening. Something I had personally phoned up the hotel for just like week was to ask about secured parking, which I was assured there was! We ended up having to park in a pay and display area about 5 minutes walk away. Thats fine if you are leaving nothing but your car, not only were we leaving expensive equipment at risk in the car I also had a broken foot and didnt appreciate the late night walk!
When we finally got to our room we were greeted with badly smelling corridors, and a key that kept getting stuck and so struggled for 10 minutes to actually get into the room!
Our bathroom had a rusty screw hanging from what I assume used to be a bath handle, the place in general was just crying out for a clean! We put all this to one side, after all I just wanted somewhere to sleep before I started another 3 hour driving journey the following morning. Having then dragged myself to bed, I realised there was no socket or a decent bedside table to rest my phone and glasses on, instead my glasses went on the floor!
Finally hoping to get a few hours sleep I was rudely woke at 2.30am with the noise of outside, it was terrible! Nightclubs and pubs all down this street mixed with poor sound proofing made for an eventful night, you could hear everything! People didn't seem keen to get home to their beds, instead they stayed out partying on the street, shouting, cheering etc for hours! Then just as I got used to that noise there was an awful banging noise coming from the room nex to us. I sounded like someone banging a nail into something for ages.
Just to top things off the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in and the pillow may as well of been a brick! Infact maybe a brick would have been more comfy!
We ended up leaving the hotel at 7.30am, almost 3 hours earlier than planned!
My advice would be if you want to stay in Derry find a better hotel! Having looked on the internet there are better places to choose for the same money! An extra £5 would of got us a 3 star hotel, secured parking and a swimming pool!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Derry Travelodge hotel is centrally located in the heart of the Maiden City. Our hotel is situated on Strand Road which is popular for nightlife, restaurants, shopping and minutes walk from Derry City’s many attractions. Travelodge Derry hotel has a rich and varied cultural heritage and the City Walls are home to a number of museums, galleries and theatres, as well as thriving musical and literary scenes. Step back in time and relive the city’s past on an inner-city guided walking, bus or taxi tour, where you’ll discover a wealth of history. Please Note: Possible noise due to City Centre location. Please contact the hotel directly for car parking options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Travelodge Derry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge Derry Hotel Derry
- Travel Lodge Derry
- Derry Travelodge
- Derry Travel Lodge
- Travelodge Derry Northern Ireland