“I should of saved the money and slept in the car!”
Review of Travelodge Derry

Travelodge Derry
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I came here lastnight (3rd september) after having just finished an 18 hour working day. Having decided weeks ago to stay in Derry anticipating an exhausting day I had booked this "hotel". Firstly the website I had originally booked with had mixed up the dates and refused to help so I went from paying a £29 room to £55 due to their mistake. So having almost doubled in price I almost expected a decent room. We arrived very late (1am) and were told the carpark they usually reccommend was now closed for the evening. Something I had personally phoned up the hotel for just like week was to ask about secured parking, which I was assured there was! We ended up having to park in a pay and display area about 5 minutes walk away. Thats fine if you are leaving nothing but your car, not only were we leaving expensive equipment at risk in the car I also had a broken foot and didnt appreciate the late night walk!
When we finally got to our room we were greeted with badly smelling corridors, and a key that kept getting stuck and so struggled for 10 minutes to actually get into the room!
Our bathroom had a rusty screw hanging from what I assume used to be a bath handle, the place in general was just crying out for a clean! We put all this to one side, after all I just wanted somewhere to sleep before I started another 3 hour driving journey the following morning. Having then dragged myself to bed, I realised there was no socket or a decent bedside table to rest my phone and glasses on, instead my glasses went on the floor!
Finally hoping to get a few hours sleep I was rudely woke at 2.30am with the noise of outside, it was terrible! Nightclubs and pubs all down this street mixed with poor sound proofing made for an eventful night, you could hear everything! People didn't seem keen to get home to their beds, instead they stayed out partying on the street, shouting, cheering etc for hours! Then just as I got used to that noise there was an awful banging noise coming from the room nex to us. I sounded like someone banging a nail into something for ages.
Just to top things off the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in and the pillow may as well of been a brick! Infact maybe a brick would have been more comfy!
We ended up leaving the hotel at 7.30am, almost 3 hours earlier than planned!
My advice would be if you want to stay in Derry find a better hotel! Having looked on the internet there are better places to choose for the same money! An extra £5 would of got us a 3 star hotel, secured parking and a swimming pool!

Room Tip: The best room is in another hotel 10 minutes down the road!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lynz89
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear Lynz89,

Thank you for taking time to forward feedback following your recent visit to Travelodge Derry. We really appreciate constructive comments from our customers as it allows us to further develop and strengthen our product helping to sort out quickly areas where we may have allowed our standard to drop.

I was concerned to read your Review and having investigated your comments further I have found that your booking had been made via a 3rd party site and not directly with Travelodge. This booking was a non refundable promotional rate to which you had accepted the booking terms and conditions. Having received your reservation you then wished to change the arrival date of which the promotion was not available, but as a gesture of goodwill Travelodge agreed you could transfer this booking but at the flexible rate which was a little more expensive which you agreed, meaning you would not incur the cancellation penalty of your original booking as you were transferring your reservation.

Following this you mentioned that you were unhappy with the car parking even though you had contacted the hotel prior to your arrival of which you would have been informed of the car parking options. We have two options for our guest to choose from One secure (opening and closing times apply) and the other unsecured (24 hours access). Just outside the hotel many of our guest will unload there luggage and use the lift to take them directly to reception and Then Park there car after checkin but this is an individual choice for each guest upon arrival.

Continuing on you mentioned about the standard of the room and the fact there is no bed side lockers available, This was actually one of our newly refurbished rooms from the 2010 Travelodge design which do not have bed side lockers instead they provide a storage shelf just under the flexible bedside light which will easily hold glasses, drinks and other items guest may want to keep close for convenience, this room was checked that day prior to check in and found to be clean and inspected.

Then you went on to tell us you found the hotel noisy not only from the street outside but from neighboring rooms and for this I wish to express my sincere apologies perhaps if you had contacted a member of our staff we could have managed this situation to ensure your stay was not disturbed further having been aware of this noise problem.

Should you returning to derry again in the near future please contact us direct on derry@travlodge.ie were we will ensure you experience is a much more pleasurable one and hopefully show you a different side to our property were I am confident we will be able to regain your faith in Travelodge.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2011

The staff were very nice and polite. the room was clean but very dated. There was a damp smell in the corridors and they were very dull. We where at the front of the building and because there was no double glazing it could be very noisey. We had little sleep on the last night due to the pub next door.This was when the unis were of so it could only be worse in term times. A good hotel for the town but not great for familes, the front rooms anyway.
Use Victoria Market car park 40p an hour very central 2 mins from hotel and town.

Room Tip: dont stay in the front rooms with kids.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dor62
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Dear Dor62,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following a recent stay with us.
We are pleased that you found Travelodge Derry clean and our team here nice and polite Travelodge Derry pride ourselves on our good customer service and I will pass you comments on to the staff on duty.
It with regret you had a room front facing which can be noisy due to our location at weekends and I can only hope should you visit us again we will be able to show you one of our quieter refurbished rooms. We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Derry.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I travel a lot and I have stayed in lots of hotels but this hotel is not a hotel it should be called a flop house. The room(s) were dirty and the pillows had dark stains like dried blood on them, even through we were 2 to a room there was only one towel and a piece of soap the size of a dollar coin. I could not wait to get out of this place. There is no drive up for cars (city no stopping zone) Parking is around the next street in a city parking lot but fairly cheap and the location is close to many good restaurants and pubs, the lobby is on the second floor from street level (elevator working) there is only one night person (a bit rude) so if you need something in your room you have to go down to the front desk to get it. DON"T ASK FOR A WAKE UP CALL, THEY WILL TAKE IT BUT THEY WON'T CALL YOU.

Room Tip: Ask for there cleaness room ha! ha!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank northknight3
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Dear Northknight3,

Thank you for taking time post feedback from your recent stay with us at Travelodge Derry. We really appreciate constructive comments and direct responses from our customers as it allows us to further develop and strengthen our product and to sort out quickly areas where we have allowed our standards to drop.

Corrective action has been taken based on your comments which are aimed at ensuring that we once again regain consistency in all areas of our operation in which I hope we have the opportunity to show you in the near future.

Should you visit Derry again in the future please contact us directly and we will ensure your stay is a more pleasurable experience. Once again thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and my apologies for our shortcomings.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2011

£45 a night may seem cheap booked at short notice, but add £7 for breakfast, £11.50 for parking, £8.95 for internet access and you are now in 4 star prices.
Rooms need total refurbishment and deep clean. Room was not cleaned or towels replaced one of the days I was there.
First room I was given 206, window frames and sills were covered in cigarette ash, got moved to 202 which had a wire mesh across window but was a bit cleaner. Altough toilet floor on room 206 is a health hazard with the ingrained dirt.
Also left with bad back the beds are so old that they sag in the middle.
Spoke to staff about my concerns and they were apologetic but said that owners refused to spend money on upgrading.
Never again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank bmcintosh67
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear bmcintosh67,

Further to your review for the Travelodge Hotel. I appreciate your feedback and comments. Having read your comments I feel I should address them each in turn.
The Travelodge Brand sell there rooms on a room only bases with prices per room not per person helping make Travelodge a more affordable option. We are a no frills accommadation provider and extras including car parking internet and breakfast if required are an additional charge. Our reception team are always on hand and will advise the best option and also offer an alternative choice, making these add ons a personal choice for each customer.

Travelodge Ireland are actively investing in each of our property's major refurbishment have been carried out in a number of properties across the country and this year alone Travelodge Derry has already been fully repainted, all carpets have just been cleaned new corridor light are currently being installed and number of TVs have been upgraded, Our beds have only been replaced within the last year . Other upgrades for Travelodge Derry are currenly under discussion and your feedback can help us ensure we carry out the right upgrades.
I hope that you would choose to stay with us if you are ever in Derry again and we could show you a better side to our Property.
Regards
Travelodge Management

Reviewed 29 July 2011

first impression outside a bit ruff looking then everything went up market staff most welcoming and very helpful rooms clean and airey real value for money will def use these hotels again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Dear Randolph,

Thank you so much for your positive feed back. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We greatly value feedback and appreciate you taking time to post this review and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stayed a few nights in Derry. Had the opportunity of visiting a few local pubs, and take the black taxi tour.

I was totally impressed and the staff very helpful. It was nice to walk around the town and take in a few good restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Beach Girl2301

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel. We are thankful for your comment on our staff as we pride ourselves on our good customer service and I will pass you comments on to the staff on duty. Don't forget to visit our website for our latest deals.

Kind Regards
Reception

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Hard to find but in plain sight on strand ave. Near old walled city, the river, history of "the troubles" . Good value. Helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2011
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

Good Morning Patricia,

Many thanks for your recent review for the Travelodge, We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again.
Remember out best rates are always on travelodge.ie

Kind Regards,