“Would not stay at a Travelodge Hotel again - more like a Hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Travelodge Derry

Travelodge Derry
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Derry
County Derry
“Would not stay at a Travelodge Hotel again - more like a Hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Booked this Hotel with my mum, aunt and sister. Hadn't stayed in a Travelodge Hotel before so didn't know what to expect. We got to the Hotel at 2.30 pm after having some difficulty finding a car parking space in the Quayside Shopping Centre, Car Park. When we arrived the lady at the reception was rude and very unhelpful. She would put anyone arriving at this Hotel off. We had two double rooms, one on the second and one on the third floor. The smell in the hall would have knocked you out. You really would need a peg on your nose. The rooms are very basic and would need upgrading big time. Was not impressed with the bathroom one bit. However, the hotel is very central to all the shops and bars. Some very cheap restaurants and bars next door to the Hotel. Thank god we didn't book our breakfast at this hotel because the smell of the place would put anyone off. The car parking in the Quayside Shopping Centre is also very expensive. It cost us £21.00 for 24 hours. I paid alot cheaper parking my car in Dublin for a night. All in all I would class this Hotel as a Hostel and will not be going back again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
northern ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Was the worst hotel have ever stayed in, staff were unfriendly and rooms were dirty and the smell would make u sick. could not wit to check out would not reccomend to anyone

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank anyomous

Travellers are raving about these Derry hotels

Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

Stayed here for a 2 night business trip last week. Normally use Travelodges all over the UK but this is the first I have used in Ireland. Nice marble spiral steps leading upto the reception which seemed unusual for a Travelodge. Made the place look very grand. Huge lobby area. Lady behind the desk was more than helpful. Room large and comfortable. Maybe time for an upgrade on the bathroom but it was clean and thats generally all I care about. Overall a good standard that I have came to enjoy from Travelodge.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Ie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

Great staff, very helpful.

Facilities - basic, but everything we needed really
Good value for a central hotel. Inexpensive, and we found it to be clean and comfortable.

Lots of life around the area, close to the bars, restaurants & clubs in the city.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

Thought this would be a convenient location but soon learned the area is pretty bad if not dangerous. Lots of people hanging around and lots of foul language and we are by no means prudes. Room was actually quite nice lobby level 105 I think. Close the window or listen to drunks all night long. Water was fine for us but you need to know how to use the shower taps to get the hot stuff. Why no shampoo it is so cheap to supply?
Reception guy was really very helpful but had no interpersonal skills per say. Parking overnight across the street is free but not convenient but neither are most hotel parking arcades.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
n.ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Never been to Derry /Londonderry before so apart from experiencing the most irate drivers with no patience and encountering a roundabout every minute with poor directions, I booked into the Trevelodge no single rooms left charged me 70 sterling for the night. for a double . Staff have to say very helpful and courteous ( only seen one member) who seemed to do everything .Room was yes antiquated but bed was clean and freshly changed , rank smell although plus sink in bathroom was broken loads of cracks in it, no remote for tv told reception same member of staff arrived tried to sort it but couldnt left it with night porter who never followed it up. Location wise very central very noisy clubs cross the road bar down stairs from it which woke me during the night . My major gripe would be that when I decided to leave early on Sunday morning I was told the car park didnt open until 12.30 so I couldnt leavenothing to do as shops dont open until1'0c sunday. So be warned if you are staying in the travelodge on Sat dont park your car there as you wont get away next morning plus for parking there it cost me 12.50 . Overall I wouldnt recommend the place it seemed to be full of hen/stag parties who really only want to find a bed for the night So bringing kids there would be a no also didnt feel safe coming into the place at night a lot of unsavoury characters about on the street . Basically I would imagine a hostel would be just as adequate and soooo much cheaper folks

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, 18 November 2010
Dear Isssie1234,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. All feedback is greatfully receieved and help's develop our product and services.
Your positive comments will be shared with our staff members.
Regards,
Travelodge Management.
Europe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

I'm a business traveller and have stayed in many hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses around Northern Ireland ROI and UK, including other Travel Lodges.

This was truly the most disgusting place I have ever stayed in. I was afraid to set anything down on the surfaces of the furniture it was so dirty:

1. There was an unpleasant smell walking out of the lift into the corridors on our floor.
2. Remote for TV (which didn't work) was covered in human dirt and hair. I didn't touch it.
3. Floor was filthy - with hair, muck and dust.
4. Bathroom was clean, apart from faeces in unflushed toilet!
5. There was dust and grime everywhere.
6. There were multiple unidentified brown splotches of vomit/worse? on three walls.
7. I did not take off my socks or touch anything unnecessarily. I washed every single piece of clothing I had, worn and unworn when I got home.
8. One towel hanging up for my use was wet.
9. My colleague had to move rooms, as her matress and pillows were laying up against the window when she got into her room.
10. I was made to feel unsafe by heavy-duty locks on the doors.
11. We had to pay £13 for the overnight parking.
12. There was no cooked breakfast available the morning we left. We ate in the (very average) restaurant directly below - unconnected with the hotel. There is a restaurant opposite (Jack's Apartment) which serves lovely food.
13. The morning we checked out, we waited (along with 5 other irate guests) a full 15 minutes before anyone appeared at reception, during which time the phone rang constantly, where we were told there was only ONE member of staff on duty. Following a complaint, no apology was made.
14. The three staff we spotted during our stay looked generally unkempt and dirty.
15. The carpark is linked to the hotel by a "gangplank" over plastic roofs, this felt very unsafe to walk over, and would not provide access for disabled visitors at all - how do they enter the hotel!??
16. Wifi costs £8 weekly (no matter if you're only staying one night, which we were) and is slow. There is a citywide Wifi, scan for it - though it's very slow too.

The only good thing was the bed was comfortable.

Avoid this place at all costs. You might catch something otherwise.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business