“Local Bar beside Bus Station”
Review of Gainsborough Bar

Gainsborough Bar
Ranked #5 of 18 Nightlife in Derry
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The Gainsborough Bar is across the road from Foyle Street bus station, and handy to kill some time, waiting for your bus. It's not a big bar, but it's got hearth, and if I lived in Derry, it could easily be my local. On my visit, I only had 45 minutes, as my bus beckoned, but felt right at home, and was actually thinking of taking a later bus. Staff and customers are a friendly lot, and seem to like the horses. Service was excellent, the barman even let me off 5 pence, as I had no more sterling left, he said "give it to me the next time your in", and I will!! A real bar!!

2  Thank letterkennycaint

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Gainsborough Bar is always the 1st & last point of call for my husband, sister & I on our many visits to Derry. Naomi & her staff are always most welcoming & they never or seldom ever have to ask what we would like as they know us so well!

The clientele, names i could add, but they're too numerous to mention, are always very friendly & a great bunch of people to spend time with, in fact, as my husband Michael always says "The Gainsborough Bar is like the words in the Eagles hit 'Hotel California'! You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!".

Can't wait to see you all again at the end of the month!

Carmel & Michael

4  Thank Pepsi49
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I visit Derry/Londonderry on a regular basis. So my friends, youre straight of the Maiden City Flyer and you need one or both of 2 things..........comfort stop and/or a pint. Becketts used to be the obvious choice due to its proximity to the Station So I asked a local taxi driver. It wasnt hard to understand why he recommended the Gainsborough. My wife fell for it first time literally. To those unfamiliar be careful of the clearly marked top step on the descent to the toilets, Since then it has become out first to call and last to leave and we have met some wonderful friends, some loveable rogues, some rogues and a weatth of friendly generous people. The bar staff are brilliant always ready to pull you a pint as soon as and often before you order it, and remember your order every time you go in athough Niomi now knows that i change my drinking habits according to my mood and colour of socks, Conor, Finn joe and Dennis are always there with a helping of, wit, advice and of course the lovely pints I would say however if you are a sensitive soul do'nt go in expecting to get any sympathy, I wont mention any of my new friends by name in fear of leaving one out (hope Pat got his bus ok) but it is a lovely friendly local bar. Plotting my next visit..............................................

1  Thank BelfastMichaelm1