“Old Style Bar on the Strand Road”
Review of Grand Central Bar

Grand Central Bar
Ranked #77 of 199 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Apparently this bar is 90 years old, and is now a listed building. You'll find it on the corner of Strand Road and Great James Street. I've noticed it a few times when I was in Derry, but it was closed, so when I was passing the other day, I decided to call in for a pint [all the traveling 'round makes one very thirsty]. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful old style bar through the doors. It's not big, but what it lacks in square meters, it more than makes up for in comfort and surroundings.

It's a two storey bar, with food served upstairs. One of the punters told me that they do a mean pizza, and the burgers aren't half bad either. However, I was more interested in the beer, and at Derry prices, it went down very well indeed. It's a friendly bar, and I even met a fella there who was born about half a mile away from me, whom I had a great chat with. We both used to drink in the same bar, but never met before, small world. Anyhow, he told me that the Grand Central would be one of his favorites in the City.

One of the problems of been a visitor, is that your on a schedule, and you have buses and trains to catch, so with a little tear in me eye, I had to say "see ya" to me new mate, and head off to catch the bus. But, now I know that this is a gem, I'll be getting in earlier the next time, and none of this rushing off to catch busses!!

2  Thank letterkennycaint

Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is a nice little bar that is at the bottom of the street where my hostel was. I actually found it myself during the day. It has a nice relaxed atmosphere and was a perfect place for me to sit trying to read my flann o'brien. Dont expect to get too much reading done though, as Derry people are very friendly and you wont end up sitting alone for very long reading a book without someone asking where you are from. This is a really good local bar right in the city centre. Our pub crawl went there one night and it was certainly alot livelier at night. It is a good place to go at either time. Ps.. the food was very good too.

1  Thank murraymints_13
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stopped in at 6:30 pm, hoping to have some pizza's and beer. Unfortunately they stop serving food at 5 pm. I don't know if this applies only on Monday's, or is the norm 7 days a week. We went to a bar/restaurant a half block away and the food there was uninspiring.

We returned to Grand Central Bar for a pint, and enjoyed our time there.

1  Thank Traveler714
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I visited this bar as part of the historic derry pub crawl. It is right in the city centre as the name would suggest. The local crowd was mixed and very fiendly. You will find derry people actually very friendly. I like old style bars and probably would have missed this one by myself if I hadnt been on the pub tour. The outside was obscured by some scaffolding but it was really nice inside. I liked the old photos on the wall showing the place in the 1920's. My kind of pub.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We went here as part of the historic pub crawl. It is a smallish bar but was very lively. The guide said the bar was nearly 100 years old. They had a local cider which was great. Forgotten the name but it was in a bottle and very tasty.