“Proper pub food!”

Cuisines: Irish
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Proper pub food!”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a find! Real home cooking here! I had the chowder amazing, super tasty! No messy about here just good wholesome food! We'll worth a try!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Asc30

Derry, United Kingdom
“Great pub with great food!!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I go there for nights out and I go there weekly for a wholesome heart warming Sunday lunch.......... the food is just so divine its just like mama just to make! And mama agrees she's there every week too! The staff are so friendly the chef comes out to chat and make sure we are all well fed and happy....... which we always are! X

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank denise m
Aylesbury
“Proper pub”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Proper city pub - good Guinness, good barman and some interesting locla characters. Nice place for a pint.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank barry89
Derry City
“Lovely pub - so authentic”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Popped in here with my husband on a Friday night - been years since I had been in - great atmosphere, great Guinness and there is so much histroy surrounding this pub - I think it is almost 100 years old and has so much old world charm.. c

Visited August 2013
1 Thank bptravellover
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,057 helpful votes
“Old Style Bar on the Strand Road”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Apparently this bar is 90 years old, and is now a listed building. You'll find it on the corner of Strand Road and Great James Street. I've noticed it a few times when I was in Derry, but it was closed, so when I was passing the other day, I decided to call in for a pint [all the traveling 'round makes one very thirsty]. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful old style bar through the doors. It's not big, but what it lacks in square meters, it more than makes up for in comfort and surroundings.

It's a two storey bar, with food served upstairs. One of the punters told me that they do a mean pizza, and the burgers aren't half bad either. However, I was more interested in the beer, and at Derry prices, it went down very well indeed. It's a friendly bar, and I even met a fella there who was born about half a mile away from me, whom I had a great chat with. We both used to drink in the same bar, but never met before, small world. Anyhow, he told me that the Grand Central would be one of his favorites in the City.

One of the problems of been a visitor, is that your on a schedule, and you have buses and trains to catch, so with a little tear in me eye, I had to say "see ya" to me new mate, and head off to catch the bus. But, now I know that this is a gem, I'll be getting in earlier the next time, and none of this rushing off to catch busses!!

• Visited August 2013