“Make it your business to go on this tour if you visit the north not alone Derry!”

Bogside History Tours
Ranked #2 of 20 Tours in Derry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This walking tour deals with events in Bogside area of Derry City known world wide as Bloody Sunday. The company was set up by some of the relatives that were shot on the day of Bloody Sunday. This hour long walking tour will begin in the center of Derry at the Guildhall and will retrace part of the original march. The tour will the take you into the heart of Derry's Bogside area and visit the places where Bloody Sunday occurred. The tour will pass the Museum of Free Derry and finish at the Bloody Sunday monument on Rossville Street in sight of Free Derry Corner and just below Derry's world famous walls. This walking tour will cover the Civil Right era and Bloody Sunday in great detail and also cover both inquiries into the day. This is the authentic Bloody Sunday tour that no other tour guide company can offer. Political tour of Derry with an insight from family members. Derry walls walking tour. Explore derry's four hundred years old walls with local and knowledgeable guides. Taxi tours of Derry City are also offered as well as half and full day tours of Donegal and the Antrim coast.
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I have been travelling around the north of Ireland for the last few days. By far the best thing I have done was to take the Bogside Walking Tour with Paul Doherty from outside Guildhall. Paul was no different than most people I met in Derry, friendly and very welcoming. I have always had an interest in Irish history, particularly the war of independence, civil war and the troubles in the north. Paul added so much more detail to the major events that occurred on the Bogside area of Derry, even the tragic and heartbreaking untimely death of his own father along with all the other innocents who were murdered on Bloody Sunday. Paul introduced us to some of his family and friends as we went about and they were equally warm and welcoming. The Free Derry museum is also well worth a visit. Listen to the audio recordings on the pc's at the far end. You'll find it hard not to be moved. I've taken history tours in many countries and here in my own country but never have I felt like I was hearing a true first hand account like I did yesterday. Seeing the people of Derry put the horrors of the past behind them and doing their best to move on in their fantastic city is something I will always remember. Thank you very much.

1  Thank FPandRM
Paul D, Owner at Bogside History Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi FPandRM, thank you for your review of bogside history tours. We are glad that you found our tour and your trip to Derry a positive one experince. He to see you back in Derry soon, thanks again, Paul and Gleann.

All reviews
"great insight"
in 17 reviews
"events leading up"
in 10 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 15 reviews
"personal experience"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Glen did a great job of telling the story to our family on very hot day in Londonderry. Well worth the time.

Paul D, Owner at Bogside History Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi Andrew H, thanks for taking our tour and for leaving your review, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Paul and Gleann.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was lucky enough to have a 1-1 tour with Paul , We walked through the Bogside on a georgous sunny day. Paul brought to life the history of Derry and especially what happened in his beloved City . I grew up hearing all about the Troubles and remembering the images of Bloody Sunday as a young boy . To actually have a tour of that area with a son of a man that was shot dead there that day, really was a magnificent experience for me .
I cannot recommend the Tour highly enough. The price was ridiculously low . Paul gave me well over an hour of his time and asked for £5 .He's certainly not in it to get rich . His passion and fairness is very clear .
Thanks again Paul .
Tony

Hello Anthonyo1, thanks for your positive and thoughtful review of bogside history tours. The story that we tell is a very personal one and we are glad that you appreciated the content of the tour. Thanks again, Paul and Gleann.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Went on a tour with Paul Doherty (we think it was Paul, definitely the son of Paddy Doherty, one of those killed on Bloody Sunday). He tailored the tour to our group of adults and kids (11 to 16) and ensured that not only did we get a great summary of the history leading into the troubles, he also let us ask him loads of questions we had as most of the adults grew up in ROI hearing about those troubled times. The time ran well over an hour and was excellent value. Highly recommend this one. Even the kids wanted it to continue.

Hi MartinaT2, your review and comments are greatly appreciated and welcome. Glad that you and your group enjoyed the tour and appreciated the content of it. Thanks again, Paul and Gleann.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I took my Canadian girlfriend on this tour today and, although I don't live faraway and was already aware of the history, I found it incredibly interesting and thought-provoking. Glenn took us on a great tour, was informative, engaging and keen to answer any questions and make sure we were both following the huge amount of information he was getting through. I recommend this as an essential part of any visit to Derry.

Hi Brian C, thanks for your kind review of bogside history tours. "an essential part of any visit to Derry" is an amazing comment to make and is very much welcome. Thanks again, Paul and Gleann.