“One night Stay”

Da Vinci's Hotel Derry
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 30 June 2013

With our group of 33 Australians and 2 Brits on a coach, we stayed in this hotel on 14th June '13. It is a big modern hotel and our room, 205, had a big, double, comfortable bed. In the bathroom we had a shower over the bath which could be awkward to get into if one had mobility problems. The only critisism is that the soap provided was the liquid variety in dispensers with no cloths or sponges to use to apply it. Dinner was good and had in an unusual styled restaurant with high vaulted ceilings. breakfast was buffet style and plentiful but I felt the sausages were of poor quality.
In the evening, water started to pour through the ceiling in the bathroom. A person above us had started to run a bath and then fallen asleep! The management staff responded very quickly with mops and buckets but we were unable to change rooms as the hotel was full. The exhaust fan would not switch off until the fuse was pulled and we dared not use the lights in the bathroom for the rest of the night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear ‘emmydeeinhq’,
Thank you for providing your comprehensive review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you had a pleasant one night stay and that our found our bedrooms comfortable and spacious. I can only apologies for the issue with the above guest’s bathroom this was out of our control but I am pleased that the staff dealt with the problem efficiently and to your satisfaction. It is a pity you had not spoke to our front desk in relation to your bathroom fan as this could have been resolved very easily. I hope enjoyed your visit to Derry and that you return again soon.

There are newer reviews for Da Vinci's Hotel Derry

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I booked this online, then had to cancel as my business took me to Belfast instead. I called the hotel as soon as I knew and thought no more about it.
Then I get a call saying I had not been, and would be charged. I explained what had happened and was asked for the cancellation number. I had no recall of a cancellation number ever being mentioned, but was told this was essential. Not being happy with this, the girl on the line assured me they would call me back, but never did.
I called, and was told they would check with the staff on duty, and.....they would call me back. They didnt.
I was promised another call back on the Monday, from the Reservations manager......no call.

Now I am told that they have asked the staff who were on duty, all deny having made this mistake, and essentially it means I am lying! I am disgusted by the level of run around this hotel have given me. I travel all the time, have great respect for the hotel trade and staff and am generous in my positive feedback wherever I see good service. Avoid this hotel like the plague!

I will be taking this to Ramada head quarters, as I have been promised, yet again a call back from the General Manager this time.......not holding my breath.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank minnie016

Dear ‘Minnie016’,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to highlight that you posted this comment whilst you were on holidays from work and the only contact details we had for you was a work email address and telephone number which we attempted to contacted numerous times during your annual leave to discuss your issues. My colleagues in our accommodation department have informed me that any grievances you have had are now resolves and we look forward to welcoming you to Da Vinci’s Hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed recently in a junior suite. No view other than a building directly opposite with banks of extractor fans. Room was spacious but both furniture and fittings were tired. Large bathroom but extractor fan not working which resulted in fogging from steaming hot water - a danger in itself.
Breakfast next morning was forgettable. Will try another establishment before returning here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the front.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank conagra
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear ‘conagra’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is unfortunate that you didn't have a good stay, our Morrison Suite is very popular with guests and this is the first complaint we have had which has been passed on to our General Manager for his consideration.
Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hello I stayed in ramada few times even if I live in the same city :) great rooms with the great deals sometimes include a evening meal and breakfast :) the rooms are spacious and very modern and clean the staff are really friendly and attentive nothing is too much for them will definitely stay again :)

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear ‘maciejM53’,
It is lovely to hear positive feedback from a loyal customer, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Loved this hotel and staff. Rooms great with lots of space and especially comfortable beds. The staff in all sections were friendly and extremely helpful. Food and service great. We stayed midweek and no night noise. Bus stop nearby and frequent service, taxis great value. Just love Derry and its people so hope to be back soon again and will definitely book into this hotel next time. We have stayed in Derry before but The Da Vinci best value and nicest. Absolutely and unusually have no complaints even minor ones.

Room Tip: We had ground floor rooms with car park view and midweek stay was quiet. Might be best to check for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear ‘Nualalurgan’,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of the city and we enjoyed a glorious walk into the city along the banks of the River Foyle to work each morning. We chose the hotel because we thought the situation would be reasonably quiet. The hotel, however,was not. Our bedroom looked out on a row of extractor fans from the air-conditioning in the public rooms immediately outside and the noise from them made sleep almost impossible until they stopped in the early hours. This was made worse by the fac that there was no air-conditioning in the bedroom so we would have been sstifled in the hot weather if we had kept the window closed, although the noise penetrated the closed windows well! The fan in the bathroom was very noisy and went on working for at least 15 minutes after the bathroom was in use. The staff were reasonably efficent but exhibited none of the friendliness or willingness to help we found everywhere else in the city. Breakfast was fine but the dining-room very gloomy.

Room Tip: Any rooms on the front with the view and any that start above about 08 on each floor at the back
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cherry P

Dear ‘CherryP’,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and it is unfortunate that you didn’t contact reception with your issues as they could have moved you to a different room. I hope you visit again and you can enjoy our high quality facilities and service which we are renowned for.
With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2013

As a frequent visitor to Derry over the years, I have never seen the need to even look into staying somewhere else other than Da Vinci's.

The staff are nothing but professional, courteous and always willing to go the extra mile. Add to that the great value for money for rooms or special rate packages plus the beautiful food... should it be in the Grillroom, cosy bar or even breakfast.

The hotel may not be in the centre of the city, but for me that makes it perfect for a stroll along the waterfront that's only around a leisurely mile (+ taxi's are so cheap compared to Belfast!). Meaning it also makes it ideal for any Foyle side spectaculars that Derry is so famed for - Halloween fireworks display or City of Culture Battle of Colmcille & Nessy.

If I was pushed to make a balanced observation that others might like to know. I'd say only being able to have continental breakfast brought to your room, when a full cooked breakfast is also available if you go to the Grillroom. Maybe annoying for some, though not for me as I'm not a huge lover of fried foods especially first thing :)

Room Tip: Book online in advance, sign up for the newsletter or join the hotel's facebook page to get the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mel W

Dear ‘ha-melmahey’,
What a lovely review! It is great to hear feedback from a regular customer especially a satisfied one. We are extremely lucky that we do have a great team of staff so I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Many Thanks,