“Great location, great fun”

Da Vinci's Hotel Derry
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Cavan, Ireland
“Great location, great fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

This was a family stay but DaVincis is a great all round and fun place to stay for singletons & couples too - I can't wait to go back there without the kids! Great food & bar/club not in the thick of the city but very close by which means its not too busy/noisy and has ample parking as well as being real close to the spectacular nearby quay's walkway, Peace bridge etc., and of course shopping. The weather was unusually hot which proved a bit of a downside for the hotel, upstairs is very stuffy and the windows provide little or no air, but otherwise wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear ’Dolores W’,
Thank you for you for your lovely review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted that all aspects of our hotel impressed you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Keep an eye on our website or facebook page for special offers.
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were travelling around Northern Ireland and had nothing booked in advance. Called this hotel in the morning to ask for the best rate, and we were happy with the rate for 2 connecting rooms. The rooms were on the ground floor and we were concerned about noise, but there was no issue. We left the car in the parking lot and took a taxi into town. Breakfast the next morning was fine. We were moving onto Belfast the next day and were having trouble finding well-priced accommodation. Shannon at the front desk went out of her way to help us out and secured a reservation for us - many thanks for going the extra mile.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear ‘ctp Toronto’,
It is lovely to hear from you and thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that Shannon our receptionist impressed you so much. We have a great team at the hotel and it is encouraging for them when a guest takes the time to mention them personally so thank you. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Northern Ireland and hope you will visit again soon.
Derrylin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

stayed here for 2 days we went to derry for a 40th birthday in the town , got a great deal for 2 nights room only but plenty of places about for breakfast , there was a breakfast place open called wheelers , just a short walk away, i always try to eat at the hotel but on this occasion i missed it the first morning and the 2nd morning, i well lets say the 40th went on a bit later than expected. Overall a good hotel with free parking, a bit far from the town but taxis are easy too get !!

The girls on the front desk where excellent and they dont always get the praise they deserve

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter a
Dear ‘peter a’,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on this forum. I am delighted your birthday celebrations went so well and that your enjoyed staying at our hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our front desk staff and thank you for mentioning them in your review they are excellent at their job and as you have said don’t always get the praise they deserve! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Many Thanks,
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Overall the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms are dated with no fridge or any moving air which makes it a bit stuffy. With 14 of us travelling together the bar and bar food was great for us, we spent more time there than in the room thankfully.

Great food and atmosphere, rooms could use an updating.

Room Tip: Make sure you qualify what you need.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ‘Michael_NT’,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate all feedback from guests. I am pleased you and your friend enjoyed our main bar and our gastro menu offering, we are very fortunate to have an authentic traditional Irish bar within the hotel complex and it is very popular with all our guests. We pride ourselves on providing quality facilities and service to our guests and are continually improving them to maintain our high standards. We are currently working through renovation project which includes bedrooms, restaurant and night club so the next time you visit you will have modern luxurious offering to enjoy.
Many Thanks,
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

With our group of 33 Australians and 2 Brits on a coach, we stayed in this hotel on 14th June '13. It is a big modern hotel and our room, 205, had a big, double, comfortable bed. In the bathroom we had a shower over the bath which could be awkward to get into if one had mobility problems. The only critisism is that the soap provided was the liquid variety in dispensers with no cloths or sponges to use to apply it. Dinner was good and had in an unusual styled restaurant with high vaulted ceilings. breakfast was buffet style and plentiful but I felt the sausages were of poor quality.
In the evening, water started to pour through the ceiling in the bathroom. A person above us had started to run a bath and then fallen asleep! The management staff responded very quickly with mops and buckets but we were unable to change rooms as the hotel was full. The exhaust fan would not switch off until the fuse was pulled and we dared not use the lights in the bathroom for the rest of the night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ‘emmydeeinhq’,
Thank you for providing your comprehensive review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you had a pleasant one night stay and that our found our bedrooms comfortable and spacious. I can only apologies for the issue with the above guest’s bathroom this was out of our control but I am pleased that the staff dealt with the problem efficiently and to your satisfaction. It is a pity you had not spoke to our front desk in relation to your bathroom fan as this could have been resolved very easily. I hope enjoyed your visit to Derry and that you return again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I booked this online, then had to cancel as my business took me to Belfast instead. I called the hotel as soon as I knew and thought no more about it.
Then I get a call saying I had not been, and would be charged. I explained what had happened and was asked for the cancellation number. I had no recall of a cancellation number ever being mentioned, but was told this was essential. Not being happy with this, the girl on the line assured me they would call me back, but never did.
I called, and was told they would check with the staff on duty, and.....they would call me back. They didnt.
I was promised another call back on the Monday, from the Reservations manager......no call.

Now I am told that they have asked the staff who were on duty, all deny having made this mistake, and essentially it means I am lying! I am disgusted by the level of run around this hotel have given me. I travel all the time, have great respect for the hotel trade and staff and am generous in my positive feedback wherever I see good service. Avoid this hotel like the plague!

I will be taking this to Ramada head quarters, as I have been promised, yet again a call back from the General Manager this time.......not holding my breath.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank minnie016
Dear ‘Minnie016’,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to highlight that you posted this comment whilst you were on holidays from work and the only contact details we had for you was a work email address and telephone number which we attempted to contacted numerous times during your annual leave to discuss your issues. My colleagues in our accommodation department have informed me that any grievances you have had are now resolves and we look forward to welcoming you to Da Vinci’s Hotel soon.
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed recently in a junior suite. No view other than a building directly opposite with banks of extractor fans. Room was spacious but both furniture and fittings were tired. Large bathroom but extractor fan not working which resulted in fogging from steaming hot water - a danger in itself.
Breakfast next morning was forgettable. Will try another establishment before returning here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the front.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank conagra
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear ‘conagra’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is unfortunate that you didn't have a good stay, our Morrison Suite is very popular with guests and this is the first complaint we have had which has been passed on to our General Manager for his consideration.
Regards,