“Horrible experience!!”

Da Vinci's Hotel Derry
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Derry
“Horrible experience!!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed here 18th jan for my brother in laws 30th b day.. 14 of use came to stay all couples. From the moment we stepped foot in that hotel they had out cards marked... We went into the bar to watch the footie obviously when your teams not doin well you shout at screen (as most men do) 3 times we were told to be quiet..I felt this really off putting .. Yes I understand there were people there eating but it was all friendly banter... We went to the nightclub at 10 and myself and my sister were up dancing and I noticed this one Boucher watching our table the whole time (waiting and wanting something to go wrong) my brothers friend was enjoying himself dancing and kept getting up on chair he kept being told to sit down... Yes I do understand he could've hurt someone of he had fallen or even himself... He was just excited to get a night away with no kids... As u do... My sister got up to dance with him nxt thing he's being dragged out by that one horrible bouncer!!! I'm not sure exactly what happened but the nxt morn when I was having breakfast a stranger approached me and told me she saw everthing and that one bouncer grabbed our friend kicked him and he felt to floor tlour friend tried to defemd himself and ended up having to go to hosp and get 6 staples to his head... My observation is that one bouncer was wanting all this to happen... I've also heard it's no the 1st time it's happened at this hotel... Lovely hotel rooms our clean food was nice... But please never ever book a block booking as straight away the hotel will suspect that you and your company will be rough and wanting to fight people .... I have never ever been involved in anything like this before and have stayed in May hotels with these people... That one bouncer ruined everything for us...

• Stayed January 2014
10 Thank Tiarnaadam
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear ‘Tiarnaadam’,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand that our General Manager is dealing with your complaint. I thought it was prudent to highlight on my response that we do welcome groups to our property many of which have excellent stays. It is very unfortunate that you had a disappointing experience but you will see from this Trip Advisor Forum your experience is out of the ordinary and our staff and service are consistently championed on this forum. I do sincerely hope that you come to a resolution with my General Manager in relation to your issues.
Da Vinci’s Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 19 January 2014

1st time staying in the hotel for our friends 30th, some staff were nice but found the bouncers to be very hevy handed, heard good reports about hoteland niteclulb, but it was disappointing with heavy handed bouncers and staff protecting the bouncers. very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank 650loulou
Dear ‘650loulou’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this forum. I understand that our General Manager has been in contact with you and your group and is addressing your issues. As you have alluded to in your review our hotel has an excellent reputation and your experience is completely out of the ordinary, nevertheless your feedback is being investigate.
With Kindest Regards,
Reviewed 17 January 2014

2nd time staying at this hotel. The staff are the friendliest ever. Food at breakfast ok..rooms comfortable enough. Distance from derry a bit far out but several restaurants, fast food etc nearby. Last time stayed on 2nd floor..fighting between a large group all in rooms near mine. Screaming, yelling, it was frightening. We did get moved to 4th floor thanks to understanding staff. Decided to give hotel the benefit of the doubt but again encountered screaming, yelling, loud music etc etc on both nights. I think this hotel is attractive to young party goers with its night club..it is a problem as I have read other reviews and they are of the same opinion as me..its such a shame as this hotel has the nicest, friendliest staff of any hotel I have ever encountered. It could be sooo good but people need a bit of peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Try 4th floor, 2nd floor very very noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eibhlin123
Dear ‘Eibhlin123’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this forum. We really do appreciate all feedback from our customers; feedback like yours does help us to maintain and improve customer experiences. I am happy to hear that you were impressed by our staff, food and rooms but I am sorry that other guest’s hindered your experience. Saturday night is consistently our busiest night and occasionally gatherings in some rooms can get out of hand. I am sorry that this happened while you were our guest. Whilst we do provide complimentary entertainment during the weekends we still maintain a varied customer base ranging from families to couples, many of which are repeat customers. I would ask you stay with us again and give us the opportunity to improve your impression of our hotel.
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have stayed several times in Da Vinci's and this trip did not disappoint. The room was perfect for a family of four. The staff we encountered throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful, especially the two ladies on reception.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Happycustomer106
Dear ‘Happycustomer106’,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor for others to view. It is always very encouraging for us to receive feedback from repeat customers; it helps us ensure we are maintaining the high standards we have set for the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon.
Belfast
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a room only deal via Ramada worldwide site,The room itself was ok but it had a disabled bathroom, only a shower and a low level sink and mirror, which meant shaving on my knees, On the first night we had food in the bar, I ordered fish chips and mushy peas the fish was served golden on one side and burnt to a crisp on the other, The second night we chose to eat at the grillroom from the a la carte menu, I ordered lamb which took 30mins to arrive and was tasteless,.I have had better food in witherspoons pubs.How they got a four star rating with food like that is beyond belief. Access to the smoking area from the hotel is via a fire door which locks on exit, so you have to come back in via the bar, Fine if the bar is open my wife found herself locked in at 9am and had to move 4 large barrells to exit via the gate to the carpark, not good .

Room Tip: Stay at the City Hotel, it is a four star,
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ‘Bobby W,’
Thank you for your review. It is only feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve about the service we provide to our valued customers. I am very disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience. Whilst an apology will not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend it with all sincerity. I certainly empathize with the points you mentioned and our Head Chef and General Manager have been made aware of your issues regarding our food offering. You will see from other reviewers on this forum we have a very popular and well received food offering and we pride ourselves on this offering. That being said your experience falls below our standards. We have duly noted your remarks in relation to our smoking area and have not received this feedback before from guests using this area so we will be sure to address the issues you have experienced. We have added a note to your guest profile to ensure that you are not placed in a disable accessible room in future. Before booking your next stay, contact me personally so we can go above and beyond your expectations. Again please accept my apology and I hope this hasn’t put you off a return stay with us.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was based in Derry for a month and stayed at Da Vinci's.

Great hotel with the friendliest staff you could wish to meet. Big shout out to Benny the night porter he was fantastic and always ready to help out and always greeted guests with a friendly smile and warm conversation.

Rooms were superb and kept well serviced. Food was amazing and priced reasonably too

If you are in Derry I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear ‘Fraser176’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this forum. It is always lovely to receive feedback from guests and especially from a long stay guest. I will be sure to pass your kind compliments about our staff on to the team particularly to Benny. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Many Thanks,
N. Ireland
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We visited this hotel to see the Londonderry 'Lumiere' . My first visit time to stay in the city but with that objective, I was looking for a good standard of hotel offering good value. This hotel offered this very well. It is a possible to walk to the City centre and this suited us due to the event.
The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. Breakfast was a good standard with reasonable choice. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment but my summary is that for the next time I need to visit Londonderry, this will be my hotel of choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear ‘Bally192’,
Thank you for your email and I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. You picked a great weekend to visit Derry, the Lumiere Light Festival was an amazing spectacle! Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff and facilities. There are some great events planned for 2014 so keep an eye on our website and social media channels and hopefully you will find an excuse to come and stay with us again.
Ramada Da Vinci's Hotel Derry