“Nice bar but food is just average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Jack's Bar
Ranked #51 of 184 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Nice bar but food is just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would say this is better as a bar than a place for food. I had the chicken goujons with a side salad. The salad had way too much onion in it and not enough variety of other salad vegetables. A bit of carrot, beetroot or sweetcorn would have been good. The chicken didn't taste as good here as other places I've had the same meal in recently in Derry.

I finished my chicken and realised that it had been a bit dry. They had forgotten to include my dips when I got my order. The lady serving did apologise.

The bar looks nice, but I would probably go somewhere else for food instead.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank thejournalist

Derry, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch, great value too.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We called here for Sunday lunch and intended having main course and dessert , after ordering our dishes which were a delicious chicken with creamy sauce , a melt in the mouth roast beef and amazing slab of salmon and lovely separate side dishes of veg , we ate so much that we couldn't fit dessert we also had a kiddies meal and a jug of diluting juice for less than £25 ;-) we all agreed that each dish was lovely and service wS prompt and friendly . Definitely be back :-)

• Visited July 2014
“The best bar in derry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I am a regular in jacks bar and i have always experienced nothing more than a very friendly atmosphere. Staff are always very polite and courteous and i have had the pleasure of meeting the owner who can not do enough each time i visit to make my time there as enjoyable as possible. Big plus it is strictly over 25s which is needed in derry would highly recommend a sat night. If you visit derry dont leave without visiting this bar great food great craic.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank farrah66
Letterkenny, Ireland
“"You can only take photos if your having a party", Mr Jack!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Did you ever hear the likes of it?? If your on your own, no photos, but if your part of a party, that's OK. Where's the logic in that? Was he having me on? Was there hidden cameras in the bar, watching the expression on my face? No. Here's what happened.

After asking a local while in Derry last Saturday, to recommend a bar, I went up to Jack's. It's a fine looking bar from the outside, and can be found behind Strand Road, on Little James Street. In I go, and sit at the bar, and get chatting to another traveller, who never visited before either. The first thing I notice, is a sign behind the bar, saying that there's a loyalty scheme for locals. This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I ask the barman [we'll call him Jack, as I got the impression he was the owner] how does the scheme work?

He didn't look very happy, like he was far too intelligent to be serving beer, and just replied that "locals get 40 pence off the price of a pint". So I ask him "how does one become a local"? "You drink here regularly" came the curt reply. Does he mean everyday, 5 times a week, or just once a week? Is there a certain amount of beer you have to consume to qualify? However, I give up, as this guy is not the most helpful I've ever come across. A customer service course would not be lost on him.

Now I would have left at this stage, as I did not feel welcome in this bar, but I was enjoying chatting to the gentleman I met at the bar, so I stayed, and took out my camera. The bar was quiet busy, as there seemed to be a Christmas party going on. You should have seen the face on "Jack" when he seen the camera. You'd think I pulled out a Glock! So I took a few snaps, sure you'd have to for Tripadvisor!!! "Why do you take photos"? The PSNI would not ask me this. I felt like telling him to mind his own bees wax, but replied "what's wrong with taking photos" "Some people don't like having their photo taken", says the bold Jack. This is true, but I wasn't taking pictures of the punters, I wanted to capture inside the bar, to show people what it looked like. "The lads over there are taking photos, but yet you don't say anything to them" says I, to which he responds "you can only take photos if your having a party" No messing!

I ask him why he hasn't got a sign up to that effect, to which he just walks away. At this stage, even if he offered me free drink, I would not have stayed. So I finished my drink, say my goodbyes to my companion at the bar, and left, making a mental note never to return while "Jack" is behind the bar. It's a fine looking bar with a nice crowd, but when you don't feel welcome, your not going to spend hard earned money there. I went around the corner to the "Grand Central", had a couple of drinks, took several snaps, and nobody questioned me, and I enjoyed my time there, before I hit the road.

• Visited December 2013