“Peace, perfect peace”
Review of Clanabogan House

Clanabogan House
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Omagh
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I stayed in Clanabogan House last night. It was bliss. We arrived early but were made very welcome, showed straight to our room which was beautiful. The bed was comfortable, there were original sash windows with wooden shutters that actually worked, the bathroom was enormous and although I was disappointed not to have a bath, the shower was huge. We wanted a get away from the teenagers, the pets, the jobs and the world. We got it. The woodland walk was lovely and the yew trees were amazing. There were deer in a neighbouring field. The two very comfortable chairs in the bedroom on each side of the window were lovely for just sitting and looking out at the countryside or reading a book but what did it for me was the silence. No noise, no traffic, just quiet.

The house itself was old, full of interesting objects, pictures etc. It was creaky, old and totally charming. Breakfast was really well cooked, with a vegetarian choice which was great for us with beautiful home made wheaten bread. All in all, we couldn't recommend this B & B enough. It's very reasonably priced, the owner's are so pleasant and welcoming and the whole atmosphere is so calm you feel relaxed the minute you walk in the door. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shelly2jn

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We new this was an older home but it was extremely musty smelling. The hosts were very nice and helpful about finding some historicial sites we wanted to visit. The pictures on the web are either touched up or old. The house had an overall run down appearance. We had a room in the back of the house. The field was pretty with 7 cows and their calves. However someone was working on a motor(?) and that sound was extremely annoying. The room was very small with slanted ceilings. At 5'2" I had to bend down to see in the mirror. The bathroom was a nightmare. From the pictures on the web, claw foot tubs were shown. We a a very small stall shower. The drain did not work, so you had to soap up, turn of the water for the water to drain and then turn on the water to rise. Sadly the shower still leaked, so you then had to mop up water.

Breakfast was very disappointing. I do not eat eggs so I was out of luck and had to have cold cereal. I love my porridge and that was not an option. French toast was and I don't think of that as a traditional Irish breakfast option.

Room Tip: There was no air but didn't need it as it was cool. Ask for a larger room and a bathroom that w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PODD1
Reviewed 18 June 2012

we stayed for one night at this wonderful country house with its unique character.
It is quirky, creaky & old fashioned as already mentioned but we loved it because of that.

we will certainly be booking again.

Room Tip: if you can go on the woodland walk just to see the deer
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Divemaster6961
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We came across this wonderful country house by chance on the internet, so very glad we found it. We stayed here for two nights and found the house to be even more than the website could show.... A wonderful roaring fire and heat that greets you within the stately hallway on arrival, the sweeping staircase, old artefacts and decor of yester-year throughout, the charm and elegance that only this period and style of house can truely carry off to well...... the breakfasts were magnificent, so much to eat.... and tables laid out with beautiful damask table cloths, white and a blue on top.... all to match the shades of blue within the dining room.... the hosts Mary and Robert were so hospitable.... at able to recomend places to eat etc.....the oodland walks within the grounds are just so wonderful, at this time of year it is a mass of Bluebells.... a lovely summer seat to sit and relax in and superbly laid out gardens, birds singing eerywhere you walked..... simply a hidden gem only 5 minutes drive from the Omagh town and the Ulster American Folk Park.... will definately be back!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gemini_lou20
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I almost didn't stay here because I thought I would just head on to the next location of our trip, but thank goodness I booked a room! The house is magnificent & the grounds are as well. We loved the forest walk! The hosts are very kind & told us all about the house's history. I did not smell any moldy smells as a previous poster has stated. I found the room *very* clean & beautiful. The breakfast was delicous! My only suggestion is to provide an alarm clock in the room, only because I would hate to be late for the breakfast! I would absolutely stay here again & hope to do so one day.

Room Tip: Ask for the master bedroom!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ben A
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Beautiful building = which would cost thousand and thousands to bring up to the "Next / Marks & Spencers / off white walls" look...& would then lose it's unique character. It is quirky, creaky & old fashioned; but spotlessy clean, comfortable, warm & a great location for exploring the area. The owners are very friendly & helpful. Breakfast was fabulous. The room was very comfortable.. and as I said old fashioned & quirky... original old claw footed stand alone bath with old taps & drainage...I would have loved to explore the whole building was like stepping back into a different age... I loved this place & thoroughly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank singleparentfamily
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My husband and I spent a few days at Clanabogan House and felt so at home!! Food was amazing, hospitality wonderful, a really relaxing environment to have a break in. We will definately be back. Loved the character of the house and the gardens. Lots to see and do around Omagh. Mary and Robert and all the family made us feel part of the family.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple