“Beautiful scenery, very picturesque”
Review of Loch Lomond

US$50.83*
Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and The Scottish Highlands Day Trip from Edinburgh
Ranked #460 of 3,381 things to do in Scotland
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest fresh-water loch in the United Kingdom.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We arrived in Balloch and parked in the town. We made our way to the Tourist Information office and after a chat with one of the very helpful assistants, we were armed with leaflets and a map. We set off through a park area, along a wide tarmac path (good for wheelchairs and cycling) which wound its way to the foot of the loch. If you don't want to walk there is a little tram service which loops around.

What a beautiful view, it was stunning. We walked along the shoreline and savoured the tranquillity. Later we returned to the car and drove up the west side of the loch, stopping a number of times at small hamlets along the way. We drove all the way to Tarbet and then we came down the side of Loch Long, which also has amazing view. We drove all the way to Rhu and had a walk along the beach.

Beautiful weather on the day and I'm sure this helped with the views, as there was no cloud.

One point to mention, make sure you have enough fuel in your vehicle as we only passed 1 petrol station during our journey!

1  Thank DanielPound
There are newer reviews for Loch Lomond

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I love nature, walking, cycling and camping. I was told that I must visit loch lomond.
After a 20 mile ride from Glasgow I arrive to find an overdeveloped shoreline with as much charm as a roadside McDonald's.
There are nice views but I would like to be immersed in nature. If looking at it were enough I would have bought a post card.

3  Thank petacyclewalkcamp
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Loch Lomond is the largest inland waterway in the UK. The area provides some stunning views at shore side or higher up. There are several islands, some inhabited and one you can catch a boat out to ordinarily. I went for walks and the wildlife. It is a great location to work from if you want to have a base in the area. There is a shuttle ferry service in season that takes in a large part of the Loch.

2  Thank Roger H
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We parked in the town and walked along the way marked path to the Loch. It was a whistlestop visit unfortunately as the path continued and I would have loved to have walked on.
It was possible to capture the beauty of the place even in such a short time.

1  Thank KTaylor1969
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I do not really like to write reviews at all, being seasoned travellers who have enjoyed the high life and not unaccustomed to living travelling feral, we understand that people and places have both good & bad days.

The view from the campsite was quite stunning if you manage to get a pitch on the waters edge you shall awake to nothing less than a majestic masterpiece before your eyes -even on the grimiest of days. However any sense of poetic grandeur is soon to be lost as you cast your eyes one hundred and eighty degrees as Stalag Luft III sits before you -complete with rules, regulations & curfews. The acting commandant whom i'm informed has recently gained her promotion at first seemed warm and welcoming -once you have entered the gates this all changes and you are now under her regime. In some respects I do not mind if somewhere has rules regulations we will respect them, but if you are not informed about these and then to be spoken to with such little respect I believe to be outrageous in the tourism business.

Camping in the wood -well there was a wood close by and a few trees on site, the loch was impressive but pitches close together -all in all quite uninspiring.

All in all, great prison camp experience not to be missed if your that way inclined -unfortunetly we are not.

The gentlemen who seemed to be doing most of the work seemed very genuine, hard working and friendly! Thank god for him -next time leave him in charge!!! Many of the locals we mat were very friendly and could not have been any more welcoming.

8  Thank lukelakes