“Bring a driver”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Bring a driver”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Now...my brother is a Macallan man to his very core. So AFTER I had already booked a cottage rental in Ireland for 2 weeks the thought entered my mind....OMG we will be sooo close to Scotland I wonder if we can hop over to see HIS holy grail. And sure enough a $49 round trip flight on RyanAir from Londonderry and we set down in Glasgow. A 4 hour drive later and we were in Grantown-on-Spey nestled in our hotel.
The next morning we set off for Speyside Cooperage to see how whiskey barrels are made. Honestly my brother picked this place, after all it WAS his pilgrimage, I was ho hum about going.
But it turned out to be a highlight for me. They were resizing barrels the day we were there. The workers get paid for each barrel so the pace was fast. I highly recommend this place. Also the Mash Tun just down the hill in Aberlour was great stop for lunch. It is hidden at the end of a side street so ask for directions.
Next we went to the Cardhu distillery. Great fun and whiskey samples. We enjoyed the drive along the trail as well so we didn't cram a lot of distilleries in. After all...we were really there for The
MaCallan.
The next day we went to Glenlivet. Nice place but the best was the 3 older couples in there 1930 cars with no tops leaving in leather caps in the pouring rain. Hearty stock those Scots!!!
Finally,The Macallan. I had booked the Precious Tour for my 2 whiskey drinking brothers. My husband and I left to go to Glen Grant as we are non drinkers and heard about the gardens and waterfalls there. WHAT A GORGEOUS PLACE!!! I highly recommend. And my brother told me later that the small whiskey sample I got him was good.
So back we went to The MaCallan to collect my two brothers who where on cloud nine after their 2 hour tour and tasting session. The distillery to me was the least appealing visually, but to my brother it was heaven on earth and as he said " an experience I will never forget."
So a good time was had by all.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank getgoing2

• Greek first
Pontefract, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Glenfiddich Distillary- an excellent day out for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We only went to Glenfiddich today but it was one of the best day trips we've ever done. The tour was educational and I there's ting even to us that don't really drink much whiskey, the restaurant was lovely with good food and great service and the gift shop was good too with a mixture of priced things to choose from. We loved the tasting session we got at the end too which helped us appreciate the drink and it was free!! Thanks for a great day

Visited July 2013