“Not the greatest”

Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Predictable Holiday Inn Express which means a reasonable standard for a couple of nights but nothing special. The location is a well out of the city centre but would be great for the exhibition centre and is also good for Aberdeen Sports Village and the Football Stadium. Double beds are strictly that and certainly not Queen far less King size so probably better with twin room. The mattress on our bed was both hard and very lumpy making a comfortable night's sleep hard to get even when very tired. Breakfast is very limited indeed with only sausages and poor quality scrambled egg. Eating any other meal here or in the Holiday Inn next door should be avoided as prices are very high for disappointing food. Better to head half a mile down the road to Bridge of Don where a pub just over the bridge offers hugely better quality and value along with friendly service.

Room Tip: Narrow double beds so a twin is a better choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
aeccexpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear MRoss911,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience and providing feedback of your stay.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast offering. .
The breakfast offering is the standard breakfast offering for Express hotels and is freshly prepared each morning. I am sorry if it was not to your taste.

I appreciate your feedback ,and than you once again for taking the time to write a review.

General manager

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed overnight while travelling from airport to heliport for which this hotel is not best situated. The taxi driver did take some back roads to get there the next day so the journey time was only 20 minutes.
You pretty much know what to expect with a Holiday Inn Express and this is no exception. I was very grateful for the emergency dental kit they provided as I had forgotten mine!
Rooms are fine for one or two nights, but would not be great for longer stays. Breakfast is the usual self service affair with scrambled eggs and sausages.
No real complaints though and I would not be bothered if I had to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear damasinnas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience and providing some feedback of your stay.
I appreciate your feedback , and will use your comments to improve our service and facilities

Once again thank you for your feedback and i look forward to welcoming you back

General Managerr

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The setting of this hotel is in an industrial estate set between Aberdeen and Dyce airport, just opposite the Exhibition Centre.

I am an oil & gas worker and was happy enough to get any room near Aberdeen in bad weather with Heli-flights delayed or canceled for days. The hotel offers a free half hour of internet service if you phone down to reception and ask for a pin number. After that, you have to provide your full contact details and credit card information on a service provider transaction webpage. I am always hesitant to do this for several reasons:
1. I don't want to give out my credit card information, unnecessarily, over the internet.
2. It often happens where a foreign credit card is denied, and I have wasted too much time just trying to get my card approved.
3. These internet service providers are sometimes based in other countries or parts of the UK, and the transaction can send up a fraud alert to my credit card company, hindering my future use of it.

Basically, offering internet service in this way just takes up my time, and it's annoying when you have to redo the transaction for each 24 hour period, further wasting your time. Why cant the hotel just charge my room directly for a voucher or PIN that will grant me full access for a day?

Avoiding this inconvenience caused me further hassle, because I did not then look up flight delay information via the internet in the morning; and so wasted my morning packing and checking out for departure on a flight that was already cancelled. I then had to go thru the check in process again on return, which was made difficult as their phone system was down following a thunderstorm the night before; my company travel agent had issues making a new reservation.

Upon return to the hotel, the manager explained that had I asked, they could have given me another PIN number in the morning for 30 more minutes of access, but you can see where this becomes a bother for both guest and employee. I do wish I had know this ahead of time though.

When i was told by staff that dinner was available next door (on the first night), I did not realize they meant at the Holiday Inn next door as they did not offer me a menu from the other Holiday Inn, or tell me how best to get there.- and so I never bothered to check it out.

I found breakfast to be lackluster, with the reconstituted eggs being the worst part, but also the instant coffee was a disappointment. The dining area is set up like a hall, with the food at one end, and if it is busy you will have to walk a distance past other diners to get back and forth to the buffet. The breakfast selection was okay, but lacking compared to other hotels.

I also found it annoying that the window in my sea facing room could not be opened, and that I was not asked if I preferred a room where the window could be opened upon check in.

Like many hotels in Europe nowadays, there was also only cream wash/shower gel in the bathroom, which I detest. A small bar of real soap wouldn't break the bank, surely?

Despite all this, it is a decent hotel, but I would only stay there again if I had business in that area or during the Oil & Gas Exhibition.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the ocean in summer if you want to be able to open a window.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear joelindsay89

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments about your stay and I am sorry you found aspects of your stay disappointing, especially the internet access pin set up.Please be assured that we take your comments seriously, without which we could not improve our service that we currently provide.
We are now in the process of upgrading our Wi-fi offering to ensure that guests can access the internet with less difficulty and at no cost.

Thank you for staying with us once again and I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back.

Kind regards

Jim

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family (4 adults in 2 different rooms) and I had a great experience staying here. It was our first trip to Scotland and the staff was very kind and helpful, the room was clean, and almost everything worked. The only downside was that the windows would not open due to a particularly bad winter the previous year. We had a beautiful view of the North Sea and since it was raining we didn't need the windows open anyway. The continental breakfast provided was really good. There was a variety of hot and cold foods, not just the standard toast, cereal, and bagels that most continental breakfasts have. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: You can hear the seagulls even with the windows closed on the ocean view side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RachelP97006

Dear Rachelp97006,

Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing to stay with us. I really appreciate the kind comments you have made and have now passed them onto the entire team and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon

Jim

Reviewed 6 August 2013

i am not a fan of the holiday inn chain as they seem so lifeless. however this one was pretty damn good really pleasant staff. good food in the restaurant and a nice little gift bag on arrival. rooms clean tidy and comfortable and within minutes of a selection of different eateries. this is a first for me to recommend a holiday inn but this one gets the thumbs up.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Gary ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express AECC.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us. I am glad we have managed to make your stay with us enjoyable and replaced some of the negativity that you had of Holiday Inn Hotels In General.

Thank you once again for your feedback and for staying with us

Your Sincerely

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Had a lovely overnight stay room was very nice and clean the only thing that let it down was breakfast came down at 9.15 for breakfast to find all cooked breakfast was finished and was told there was just cearel left which i thought was very bad when you are told breakfast is from 7.30 -10.30

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kenny M

Than you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aecc.

I am really pleased to hear that found the hotel clean, the location to your liking and the room fitted your needs. I am however really disappointed to hear that we failed to cater for you breakfast needs and that you found the hot options unavailable to you when you went for breakfast.
Please accept my sincere apologises for this shortcoming.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review and for staying with us on your recent visit to Aberdeen

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Chose this hotel for my wife, son and I as it had rooms suitable for myself ( I am a wheelchair user ). On arrival it appeared that we had been booked into a family room despite requesting a suitable room. Reception desk offered us a disabled persons room with an interconnecting door to another room which delighted our five year old son. Also very helpful staff when we discovered we had a punctured car tyre. Staff changed our tyre until we could go to the garage and get a new one. Very pleased with the rooms, staff and assistance at this hotel. We will most definitely come back. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Simon A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we managed to accommodate you in the room type you requested. I am sorry to hear that you car issues whilst staying with us but glad to hear that we managed to assist you get on the road again and until you got the necessary repairs done.

Thank you once again for writing your review and I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back

Your Sincerely