“This hotel has a fundamental design flaw.”

Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Almost every time I stay here I get a room on the east facing side towards the upper half of room numbers.

The problem is that when the wind blows even moderately, which is regular given it faces the North Sea, the wind howls across the east face of the building. If you stand in the car park you hear it loud and clear but if you have a room ending in numbers 17 to 29 on any of the floors, then you hear this outside your bedroom window all night long.

I have brought this up every time I stay. Often I'm told that they will move me to another part of the hotel. But this time I got to speak to the Manager about it. And he confirmed that it is a serious problem, but there's nothing can be done about it as it is due to the design of the building and the nearby exhibition centre. But, most startlingly, he confirmed to me that the company forces him to let those rooms regardless, and just hopes no-one complains. If they do, move them to a decent room.

Now that's a bit like being given a rental car which the rental company knows isn't roadworthy, but when it inevitably breaks down on you will give you a proper functioning one and immediately pass the faulty one onto the next unsuspecting sucker.

So far that reason alone, this gets a bottom star rating. The underlying problem is that in Aberdeen they can indeed let any old room, as there is such high demand. Our company books rooms there on a regular basis but I shall certainly be making moves to ensure that this stops, as this is treating customers with contempt.

As for other aspects of the hotel.....it's clean. There is free Wifi but it's not very reliable. The beds are doubles, but standard UK doubles so not that big. The hotel is mostly used by crew change workers going to/from offshore, so every time you go in or out of the hotel you have to walk through a cloud of smokers who stand right outside the door. There's a free help-yourself-breakfast, but the hot food is regularly either not hot / burnt / finished. The windows in all rooms facing east don't open (design flaw again to do with the weather!); and the air-conditioning has a tendency to be noisy (gargles and wheezes a lot).

So if you still insist on staying here and are offered a room at check-in with the numbers in the range x17 to x29, refuse it and ask for ones on the west side of the building.

Room Tip: Ask for west facing side of building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Shift agenda,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel.
I am deeply sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and can only apologise for the shortcomings you have experienced.
We do our upmost to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and if we can do anything in the future for you please let us know

Reviewed 20 March 2014

1st class and breakfast was great. stayed for only one night , but had no problems and would use this hotel again. car parking was great . it is a bit out of town , but as we had a car this was fine. food was great at breakfast. chack in and out was very good

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Ross M,
Thank you for thaking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope it is not to long before welcome you back

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We were attending a concert at the exhibition centre and the location of the hotel couldn't ave been better right on the door step.

A nice welcome by the receptionist was greatly let down by the extremely ill mannered & rude waiter behind the bar named Fraser. Staff like Fraser do a great disservice to the holiday inn name. No smile no hello no what can I get you - just rude! When I asked if they were serving food - no! When will you be - five ....one word answers were less than helpful but another hotel guest pointed us in the direction of the holiday inn restaurant next door.
However, the room was clean & comfortable & the breakfast was excellent.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear kaz2y5,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that over all you enjoyed your stay us but I am deeply disappointed that a member of the hotel team let you and his fellow colleagues down by such a negative and unfriendly response to your enquiries.
I can only apologise for the lack of warmth and customer care shown by this individual to your selves and hope it will not detract you from using us again.
Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will continue to use us in the future

General manager

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My family and I stayed for one night at this hotel, while visiting Aberdeen at the weekend. Unfortunately my daughter became ill during our stay. The staff, in particular Eve, were fantastic! Nothing was an inconvenience for them. Eve went out of her way to assist us with in any way she could.

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel and will be the only place I'd book when visiting Aberdeen.

The rooms are very clean and the hotel has convenient parking, especially if you are visiting the AECC, which is on this hotels back door step.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Diane K

Thank you for taking the time to write review of your recent stay at the hotel

I am pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay with us and for the kind comments about the staff especially Eve, who took care of your daughter when she took ill whilst saying with us . I hope
she has now fully recovered.
I will be passing on your comments to the staff, who will really appreciate your positive feedback
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General manager

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here as we were attending an event at the AECC. Plus point for us was location, staff were all pleasant and the continental breakfast included sausages which frankly are amazing if you have a mild hangover, which we did. Cereal and fruit won't do on those mornings.Negatives were the double bed was tiny so we ended up getting linen for the sofa bed, the bedroom doors don't have soft close mechanism so banged a lot and the heating system made clunking noises so we didn't get a lot of sleep!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lorna D

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. I am also glad that you enjoyed your breakfast with us.
I have taken note about you comment about the doors banging when closing and have now asked maintenance to adjust the doors to lessen the banging noise when closing.
I am sorry that you found the double beds to be too small for you but can assure you that they are a standard sized UK double bed.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Holiday Inn express is build right next to the more expensive (allegedly) Holiday Inn. the food in the express is limited and basic. eg, Pizza, Burgers etc. You do however get a slip from reception to use the Holiday Inn restaurant next door where a table de hote and al a carte menu is available. I found them both to be very expensive for what was offered.
These Hotels in Aberdeen are constantly full Mon - Fri and therefore the price for any rooms that are available are grossly inflated. I paid £148 for b&b. yet an available room at the superior Inn next door, was £125 which also included a full english breakfast, not hot buffet. How can Holiday Inn justify this?

Room Tip: No preference to rooms or floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Gordonpenman,

Thank you for taking the time to write review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am pleased to hear that you found the the hotel comfortable but I am sorry to hear you find both hotels expensive. With most Hotels in Aberdeen, Monday to Thursday we are usually fully booked and the rates that are charged are reflective of the rate charged by other hotels in Aberdeen.
Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Attended a function at the AECC and stayed here for the night. Check in was very quick and painless. Room is of a good size for a twin and for the price we were paying. Spotlessly clean. Bathroom also a great size. Beds were very comfortable. However we must have been in the noisest room ever. Anything that coud possibly make a noise did so throughout the night. Clicking, tapping, churning, whirling. Took us ages to get to sleep but once we were we slept very well indeed. The shower has great pressure and plenty of hot water! Breakfast, as stated previously, is quite basic, but there is loads of everything! The orange juice is horrendous though, seriously the worst i have tasted. It was so badly watered down it was undrinkable. Really pleased to see Flora available as not everyone likes butter! Doors shut very pormptly at 10.30 to the breakfast room, so if you are wanting extra tea then make sure you give yourself time or you will be without. Would defintelty stay here again though, but will bring my own orange juice!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Miss Pooh25,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express AECC

I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel but sorry to hear that you found the breakfast orange juice very watery. I will certainly investigate why this happened to ensure that we do not have this problem again.
Thank you for staying with us and for for your feedback. I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back .
Yours sincerely