“nice clean but expensive”

Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“nice clean but expensive”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My company paid a lot of money for my room, far more than I feel it was worth. The beer and food are also well over priced.
However the hotel had good parking facilities, the room was clean and comfortable albeit small, the restraunt is over the road at the holiday in and the food was beautiful but over priced £30 for a steak.
I would have given it 4 stars if the prices were more reasonable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Kgk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel clean and tidy. I am however sorry to hear that you found us expensive. As Aberdeen is a very busy city mid week , the hotel prices are reflective of this demand and that of the prices that other hotels in the city are charging

Thank you once again for your feedback and for your review.
I hope that we can welcome you back soon

Kind regards

Jim Thomson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Quiet, clean hotel within easy reach of the city ....

Stayed here for just the one night in October '13

There is a Holiday Inn right next door - so make sure you go to the correct car park. The express hotels car park is off to the left when you enter the road The Holiday Inn express had ample parking under the hotel.

There are lifts up to the reception area from the car park for those with luggage, mobility issues or prams.

We arrived quite early and were allowed to check in early - which was nice - thanks!

The room we had was clean, and was decorated with bright colours. Our room had a small sofa bed too. The bathroom had some 'Lux' soap stuck to the wall that had already been used. There is a shower, no bath. Only thing for the hotel to keep an eye on are the shower curtains that had a slight damp wiff to them.

Enough towels but they were really thin quality.

Another plus is the free Wi-Fi - more hotels need to start including this as no extra charge!

The bed was comfy and as with this chain - you can get other pillows if required. The room had a small refreshment tray of tea & coffee.

Breakfast again something else include in the rate was adequate - you know if you're staying at an express you'll get limited hot items but what you get is hot and fills you up. there are also some fruit and pastries. A newspaper is available is you wish and there are some TV screens showing Sky news.

The breakfast area looked very modern and We felt the hotel was very clean throughout.

The room we had overlooked the North Sea - the location is great for the conference centre and Aberdeen city (Think it took around 15mins right into Union St) - as this hotel offers free parking (big plus) there are buses into town from outside the hotel. Or you can wander around to the right of the hotel, past the conference centre (few mins walk) to the park and ride as the bus stops here and often fills up quickly - if you get on here you can make sure you get a seat. If you're coming back later on in the evening the buses sometimes don't come back into the [park and ride - so you may have to get off on the main road and simply walk down to the hotel - around 5 mins walk.

For a rate of £50 we found this hotel to be really excellent value! We had a good night’s sleep, and got free parking, Wi-Fi and breakfast all included - you can't argue with that!

Room Tip: A room looking towards the sea is pretty relaxing..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 27lo9r,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay .

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found every thing to your satisfaction.
As you have found we are slightly outside the city centre but transportation links are very good.

Thank you once again for your review and for staying with us

General manager
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I were in Aberdeen visiting family for the weekend and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Exhibition Centre.
The hotel is modern, clean and reception area spacious.
Our room was comfortable and clean, had everything we required for our weekend stay.
The hotel was busy but we did not hear any noise in the evening.
Breakfast was adequate, enough choice for everyone.
I would stay there again, no probs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear bthom333,

Thank you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
I hope that it will not be too long before we welcome you back.

Kind Regards

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed a couple of nights while attending a conference in the adjacent Aberdeen exhibition Centre. The Holiday Inn express is behind the Holiday Inn which did cause a bit of confusion initially. Comfortable room, very clean and tidy. Staff very pleasent and helpful. Dining a bit basic but can go next door to the Holiday Inn which has a good menu. Reasonable breakfast in the morning. Could be a bit more choice on the hot food but a good choice of other breakfast favourites. Had a very comfortable stay ideal for attending events at the Aberdeen Conference Centre with plenty of parking. Would certainly stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel very quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Oldsmiddy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback.
I regret we cannot offer a wider selection of hot breakfast items but due to brand restrictions,we are limited in the number of hot items we can offer.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards

UK
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Holiday Inn Express is I would describe as a perfectly clean and functional hotel and adequate for a nights stopover. Fortunately I am a platinum member although I am not sure there is any difference in the rooms but you do stay on the executive floor which was a very nice floor.
I wouldn't stay here for a week but I think it is geared mainly for business people, as I was, staying just the one night and for that it is clean and functional.
I think the rooms are a tad small but after a long day you don't have time to worry about that. The beds are very comfy which is very important and there is also a nice tv in the room to watch whilst you relax before turning in. I did have free wifi and free buffet breakfast. Breakfast I thought would be more than basic but it turned out to be quite pleasant with a good selection i.e. coffe, tea, fruit juice, fruit, croissants, buns and toast along with a hot breakfast of sausage and scrambled eggs.
There isn't a restaurant in the Holiday Inn Express however there are restaurants in their Holiday Inn Exhibition Centre hotel a few minutes walk away where you can obtain an evening meal/snack.
I would definitely have no hesitation in staying overnight again but would probably not take the family for a holiday as it isn't, in my opinion, that type of hotel.
One point, the hotel is rather warm although I'm not complaining as I love warm cosy places but I know others don't so just thought I'd mention it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are usually quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Lindyloo1

Thank you of taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the standards and service provided where a nice surprise for you.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

It's been a few years since I last stayed in a Holiday Inn, and what a change it was!

Standards have improved dramatically. Staff are extremely polite and the hotel in general has a quality feeling to it.

The room was a decent size and the double bed was extremely comfortable.

My only fault with the room was the heating unit in the roof. I was in room 105 and it sounded like a jet engine on warm up even when I turned it off. Luckily I'm used to background noise but if my partner had been with me it would have been another story.

The express doesn't offer much to eat in the hotel so I went to the regular Holiday Inn next door. Again the quality of both the food and service was a pleasant surprise.

Avoid rooms above the reception area though. Mine was right above the smoking area, meaning I couldn't open the window at all and even with it shut I was kept awake by loud conversation below until after 11pm

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear RossStewart

Thank you for taking the time to write review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am so pleased to read that you found the hotels bed comfortable and that the Holiday Inn Express standards improved dramatically since you last stayed in one.

I am sorry to hear you found the Air-Conditioning unit and the people outside to be very noisy. Next time you visit, let us know and we will ensure that you are allocated to a quiet room.

I really appreciate the kind comments you have made about both hotels.

Once again thank you taking the time to write a review and I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to the hotel.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed for one night in March 2014. Hotel reception area was very clean and smart. Check in was good and it was recognised that I had Platinum elete status. Room was to a good standard and very clean. Free breakfast was served from 6.30 am for hot food but as I was leaving earlier i could not get this however there was a good selection of cerials, fruit, etc for self help.Check out was quick and accurate. Would use this hotel again. Only down side for me is that it is a far way out from the city or airport.

Room Tip: My room was across from the lifts and overlooked the car park but neither of these things got in the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Raymondo1951

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express AECC.

I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and you found every thing to fit your needs whilst you stayed with us.

Thank you once again for writing a review of your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the future.