“Good weekend stay”

Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good weekend stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I visited Aberdeen for two nights in July and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the Exhibition Centre.

The hotel is a short drive from the City Centre and is situated behind the Holiday Inn. There is lots of parking either under the building or up on the ramp on the reception level and it is free, a word of warning though if you park under the building there is only one lift that goes do to the basement level and almost every time the other one came up and I had to change.

Checking in was quick and easy. As a member of the loyalty scheme I was offered a free drink from the bar whilst my room was on the too floor and facing the sea.

The room itself was clean and well maintained whilst the air con was in good working order which was a godsend due to the current high temperatures. I had a good sleep both nights and there was very little noise, apart from seagulls but it is Aberdeen and there is not a lot the hotel can do about that.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and is mainly continental with a couple of hot items. There is a good choice available and it gets the day started well. A limited food/snack menu is available early evening in the bar area whilst a more substantial menu is available next door in the Holiday Inn. There was a decent choice available through and the burger I ordered was pretty good.

Overall a decent choice for Aberdeen with friendly service in a decent location, I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Chris M
Thank you for taking the time to review that hotel again on TripAdvisor.
I am very pleased that you were again so impressed by the hotel and service that you received. The team are our greatest asset and I am pleased to read that they looked after you so well.

Thank you once again for staying and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Erskine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Had three pleasant nights at this hotel on Business. Everything very smooth and efficient. The bar offers some food in the evening such as burgers or curry. I had tried both dishes and was surprised to find they are excellent. Easily the best burger I've had in years.

Nice friendly staff and plenty of free parking.
Free wifi is very good in the room and allows streaming video with no loss of performance.

Nice to see the breakfast has improved since last time, although still falls short of a good cooked one. The cooked selection is poor and badly presented. There are plenty of warm crossiants and other items which were plentiful.
Good job guys.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
aeccexpress, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Sharkx

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel again and found everything to your satisfaction.
I’m glad that you tried our express Snack Menu, and found both dishes excellent.
We have improved our breakfast selection and you noticed we have. We will certainly take your comments on board with the cooked breakfast…. Maybe in the future this might/could happen!! Who knows?
I will certainly pass on the positive feedback to my lovely staff.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Couldn't fault this hotel. Lovely friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms and good facilities. We weren't looking for anything fancy for a two night stay, just a comfy bed, so this was surprisingly good. Didn't find it cheap but Aberdeen seems to carry a premium for most things.The breakfast is a fairly plain self-service buffet and nothing special, but expectations should be realistic. The hotel was clean and quiet and much more attractive than it's big sister next door.

Room Tip: 420 had a lovely view of north sea
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Neil B

Thank you for taking the time to review us an amazing 5 Stars.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, found the hotel clean, Bed comfy and enjoyed the facilities which lived up to your expectations.
As with all hotels in Aberdeen we are very busy during the week and our room prices reflect this level of demand.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Lomdon
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I stay here fairly regularly, it's always the same standard specification, clean rooms, comfortable sheets, free internet. It's a good place to stay. However it's £15 each way to the city centre so I prefer the more central HI express. Foods acceptable.

Stayed July 2014
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Wingnutracing,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I appreciate your feedback and I am glad you found everything in the hotel to your satisfaction.
I am however sorry you found our location a bit to far for you from the city centre but hope this will not detract you from using us again

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and Iwent to help bring my daughter and all her possesions back from University. With iy being a 740 mile round trip we decided to have Friday and Saturday nights in Aberdeen. The hotel was good value for money. It was clean and welcoming, the staff were great and the breakfast was excellent value.

I have no problem recommending this hotel and will probably we staying again when we take my daughter and her belongings back for her second year.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear DMC1958,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am really pleased to hear you have been well looked after and that the hotel provided the facilities you required for a short break.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel when you return your daughter to Aberdeen University in the Autumn.

Thank you once again for your review and for choosing to stay with at the hotel.
Yours Sincerely

edinburgh
Reviewed 30 June 2014

stayed up to be close to the aberdeen sports village swimming pool . The hotel is next to the exhibition centre just at the other end of bridge of don .It was about 5 mins drive to the swimming pool which was great and free parking. Value for money was brill and even a free breakfast and wifi thrown in. Room was spacious and clean. Great staff .we got a very warm welcome from reception staff. I did not get the name of the girl checking us in but it was only her first week but she was very good.
will be back if in Aberdeen again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear ScotEdinburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that we where ideal for your swimming event and the you found the facilities in the hotel fitted your needs for the time you where here. I am also pleased to hear that our newest member of our team has been recognised for her performance, which I will certainly pass on to her.
Thank you once again for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here last Fri/Sat for the Brewdog AGM at the AECC and found the Hotel well up to standard. Check-in (& out) was slick, friendly and efficient and our room (on the 5th) had a fabulous view out to sea (beyond the car park). Furnishings in excellent condition (shades of Ikea), spotlessly clean and Air-Con worked well. My wife had no problem getting her i-pad signed in and good WiFi signal throughout our stay. Buffet breakfast was included in the price (£50 room/night) and was perfectly adequate. Superbly located for the AECC and surrounding business park, (its raison d'etre, after all) but otherwise rather remote if you're - as we were - sans-car for the (VERY Convivial !) Brewery event!. A good 20 minute bus ride into/from the city centre with a somewhat reduced service into the evening and Sundays. Great value, though, and we'd certainly go back for a similar event.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible, and on the east (seaward) side. West side looks down into car p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Graham_d505

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel very convenient for the AECC and that you enjoyed Brew Dog that took place.I am also pleased to hear that you found all the facilities in the hotel fitted you needs for the time you where with us.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and I hope it is not too long before welcome you back.

Kind Regards