“Good Hotel”
Review of The Mariner Hotel

The Mariner Hotel
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Small cosy hotel within easy reach of city centre. All the staff I met were friendly and polite, the room was spacious and comfortable with the whitest bed linen I have ever seen. The hotel bar was warm and friendly with a good selection of whiskies and a good real ale.
However the breakfast was by far and away the best breakfast I have ever been served in any hotel I have stayed up to now, both for quality and quantity, I will definately make this place my first choice when I go back to Aberdeen.
My only minor criticism I would have liked blackout curtains in the bedroom as I do wake early if the room gets light.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank grahammckenna

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I've stayed at the Mariner a few times in the past year. I've had nothing but good experiences. The rooms are very quiet and comfortable. The for is top-notch. The bar is cozy and relaxing.

Room Tip: Room 24 -- the suite -- is well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Offshore2long
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Recently had a meal at the Mariner for my Step-son's birthday - the hotel were aware of the occasion and made his birthday meal a special one!

On arrival we were shown to the most magnificent glass topped carved table with a bottle of fizzy thrown in. Michael served our table and his natural charm and bonhomme made us all feel most welcome and relaxed.

Now to the food - I had Lobster Laksa on a cucumber salad and I have to say it was one of the best starers I have ever had. My complements to the chef who got the balance of flavour, spice and texture spot on. Next I had Dover Sole italienne ( a butter sauce with fresh tomatoes and olives) it also comes with another sauce but I forget what it was - prawn and something I think. Again this was perfectly cooked and given the size of the fish, at £19 cheap as chips. The Key Lime pie was next - given the portion sizes I can only imagine it was the excellent cooking that made me go for desert, cause I'm not a big eater. Again the lightness of the filling was excellent, albeit I would have liked a little more zestiness.

To finish my review I will compare the Marnier with the other well known fish restaurant in Aberdeen, the Silver Darling - there is no comparison. I have eaten at the Silver Darling a few times and the Mariner wins hands down, for quality of food, abience, service and being an Aberdonian - value for money. If you love your sea food give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Charming hotel that always offers a warm welcome , friendly helpfull staff and a good menu whether in the restuarant or a bar meal always my first choice when visiting Aberdeen usually on a weekly basis

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here by accident after being 'bumped' out of another hotel. We weren't quite sure what to expect but this small/medium sized hotel ticked all the boxes for us. The bar food was excellent, the bar had a good atmosphere, they were very teenager friendly, the location was close to the city (5 mins in a cab) and the staff very friendly. The superior room we had was clean and spacious and the room rates were very good value. We'll stay here again.....

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Thanks for your lovely review.
there was quite a bit of 'bumping' went on that weekend with the Walker Cup - glad you were happy with said 'bump'!
(also happy that the boys won too!)
hope to see you and the family again soon...

Reviewed 29 July 2011

stayed for one night in the suite which is the largest room. nice interior, very clean and comfortable bed. would highly recommend. staff are very friendly. food at bar and restaurant was nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
plato42, Manager at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
It’s fantastic to hear that you had the opportunity to sample the menus in our bar and restaurant, and that you enjoyed both.
We are glad you enjoyed our hospitality and we hope you will come and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We're just back from a stay at the Mariner. We were in Aberdeen to see 'We will rock you' at HMT. The hotel was easy to find and only a few minutes by car from the city centre and there is a huge car park which is free! We had booked by e-mail which was responded to quickly and check-in was just as efficient. We were shown to our room within minutes of arriving on a Saturday afternoon.
Our room was beautiful. It was a suite with it's own entrance at the side of the property. The outside door opened onto a kitchen area which had a microwave, large countertop fridge, kettle and coffee machine. It was also well stocked with lots of tea and coffee including filter coffee for the machine as well as fresh milk and bottled water in the fridge. We wished we were staying for longer to take full advantage of it!
Off this room was an amazing bathroom with a roll top bath (hubby was not as impressed as I but I gazed longingly at it a couple of times), there was also a walk in/wet room type shower area with the biggest shower head I had ever seen dropping from the ceiling, it was amazing. There was also a generous variety and amount of toiletry items supplied.
The bedroom was also off the kitchen area and was huge! There was plenty of storage space as well as 2 seating areas (a sofa plus table and chairs). There was also all mod cons - flat screen tv and hairdryer etc. It was beautifully decorated and quite luxurious with lots of original features (eg high bay windows) as well as stylish fabrics, lamps and a gorgeous mirror behind the bed (couldn't have fit it in the suitcase if I had wanted to!). We slept fantastically well even though the bedroom faced onto the front of the building and it was a Saturday night. We were not disturbed by any traffic and slept right through, it seemed a quiet area of town. The bed was at least a kingsize and firm but comfortable. There was also plenty of spare bedding although we didn't need it.
We had planned to get the bus along to Union St to go the HMT but it was a lovely warm evening so walked. It's easy to walk along Great Western Road into Holburn St and we got to the top of Union St in 15 mins. If you wanted to get the bus, there are stops in both directions right outside the hotel (we worked out a 16 or 19 would take us to Union St and the stop for the hotel was Salisbury Terrace).
We also had great service from the staff both in the bar after we got back from the show and at breakfast. There was plenty of choice and we had fruit and cereal before a full scottish and toast! The food was fresh and tasty but not greasy and there was alternative cooked options. The coffee was also good (my indicator of whether I like a place or not!) and re-filled frequently.
Check out was as quick and easy as check in and we were on our way home unfortunately!
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. It exceeded our expectations for a quick over night stay and we would stay here again rather than use the overpriced chain hotels closer to the centre. The place was also spotless which is priceless as far as I'm concerned and not always the case! I don't know what the other accommodation is like but if you're lucky enough to get the suite or want a special room for a special occasion, you've found the right place! I would book this hotel again in a heartbeat.
(Thanks for reading this long review, don't normally write them but wanted to do this place justice! Hope it helps!)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cclovegeo
plato42, Manager at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2011

Wow! What a review! It’s really rewarding to read such a fantastic write up and we are truly proud that you had such a positive experience in our hotel. Its great news that you found our online booking service so efficient and our staff so friendly, as a small family run business we pride ourselves on this point! I hope that next time you stay with us you will get a chance to sample our extensive bar and restaurant menus; we do daily specials and a fixed price menu runs through the week offering locally sourced, cook to order dishes every day. We hope you will be returning to the Mariner again in the near future so we can impress you again with the services we provide.