“Good place to stay in Aberdeen”
Review of The Mariner Hotel

The Mariner Hotel
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 August 2014

At only 15 minutes walking distance of Union Street (with good bus connections too) this quant little hotel is nicely located on a quiet street. I stayed 2 nights for business in a superior room, which is definitely worth the extra 10 pound (bigger room, bigger tv etc.). Although the furniture is quite past its prime the room has a comfortable feel to it. Make sure to check out the cosy bar/restaurant, stilishly oufitted in the naval theme. The food I sampled there wasn't very good - perhaps an unlucky choice of me. Staff all around is friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok, with good coffee. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post this review - both fair and informative.
Glad you plan to come back and join us again...when we hope to dazzle you with our culinary delights a little more next time!
Cheers
(or Op uw gezonheid!)
Mike

There are newer reviews for The Mariner Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I recently attended a family gathering in this hotel and the care and attention offered to our family during a difficult time was superb. They attended the needs of people with dietary issues in a tremendous manner,they dealt with more people than originally planned for with no fuss and as a credit to the owner no extra charge was made. Well recommended for service, quality and attention to detail.
In addition we had a pub lunch the following day and the pea soup and fish and chips were all to a very high quality, the service from the waiter was attentive but not intrusive a great advert to a well run establishment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Aberdeenvoyager

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I'm very lucky to have such a lovely family of staff here - so glad they made you feel welcome and well cared for.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Mariner is ideally located for a visit to Aberdeen and a very high standard of service is provided by very friendly staff. Whilst some people may think a hotel/B&B nearer the centre of town would be better, with that would come the noise of the city whereas this is quiet and a choice of 2 buses (number 15 or 19) will take you into the heart of the city, or even better for you so will a 20 minute walk. Other reviews criticise the full Scottish breakfast provided, I personally found it excellent, freshly cooked and with the choice of morning rolls (Aberdeen speciality), toast, cereal etc; I could not fault it. And enjoying it in the conservatory on a sunny day reading the freely provided Press & Journal newspaper was a perfect start to my day! Yes my room did look a little tired but for me that is unimportant. I will stay again whenever I return to Aberdeen; a really excellent hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Many Thanks for your wonderful review.

We appreciate your honesty & support.

Glad you found breakfast to your liking.

It was our pleasure having you stay with us & hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Staying at the Mariner is very convenient due to it's location and nice pub and restaurant. However, the rooms are really starting to show their age! Cracking bathtubs and dirty shower heads. Not to mention that my laptop has a bigger screen than the in room tv. Will probably stay again due to location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Our room upgrades are a never-ending process - with 6 revamped bathrooms in our sights by 2015!

Glad that it won't deter you from staying with us again.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the evening of the 11th February expecting as stated a full Scottish breakfast, the poorest breakfast I have had in a Scottish hotel.
I was served by a rude young waitress who when asked if there was a clean table`` stated just wait till get round to it``.
Whereby she wiped the table onto the chair I was expected to sit on and the remainder of the crumbs ECT were wiped onto the carpet.
A full Scottish breakfast consists of : Egg ,Sausage,bacon,black pudding,haggis,potatoe scone.tomato,mushrooms with fried bread.toast,tea or coffee.
Instead I was served an overcooked fried egg that was cold, bacon, sausage and diced mushrooms, whatever happened to the full Scottish?
The hotel in my opinion was overpriced and average.
Would not recommend this hotel unless your company is willing to pay over the top.

Room Tip: At the back off the hotel away from the road and the bar.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Holly1944
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Firstly let me apologise sincerely if you found my breakfast waitress rude or unhelpful - this is unacceptable.

All of my staff are aware of the importance of making all customer feel welcome & appreciated.

I'm sure, after what - I see from your reviews - was an awful Indian meal in the town the night before -- this was the last thing you were in the mood for. Sorry.

As far as the breakfast, however, I will point out that our (inclusive & cooked to order) breakfast consists of eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, beans, black pudding & fried bread - the latter three being optional as per the menu. A fine spread, I'd suggest, by anyone's standard... and, in fact, had you enquired about haggis, we'd have happily thrown that on too!

That said, if you weren't happy with the temperature or how the items were cooked - might I respectfully suggest (and this is a very general comment to all wannabee reviewers) pulling up your big-boy-pants and asking for the situation to be rectified THERE & THEN!

The thing about good hospitality is not getting everything right - but dealing with them well when we get things wrong. There genuinely seems to be a type of person who would rather suffer in silence so that they have an interesting nugget to blog or review.

So to all you reading this - if you have a problem - tell us face to face, if we don't sort it to your satisfaction - THEN get on your keyboard.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Fantastic service and excellent food. Will definitely be back again. Had a birthday dinner for 15 adults. Was offered a fixed price set menu with plenty of different choices and with reasonable price. I had battered calamari with lime dip for my starter and mussels mariniere for my main course (best mussels I ever had!) skipped the dessert as had no more room unfortunately. All my guests were impressed with standard of the service and delicious food! Went back last night with my partner and once again experienced great service and delightful food. We had really nice corner table which made our dinner very romantic. I ordered mussels for my starter (it is a must to try!) and scallops set on black pudding for my main. Scallops were cooked to perfection! My partner had oysters to start with and veal in malacca sauce for the main (I had a bit of that, the sauce was absolutely delicious). It is very nice and worth a try restaurant which will definitely be one of your favourites.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you 'Superb' review.

Very happy you & your party enjoyed your meal with us, as we enjoyed hosting you!

Glad to see your becoming regulars & are happy to see you sampling the wide selection we have to offer.

See you soon !

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We went for a birthday lunch at the bar restaurant. Service was very good, although the bar tables have seen better days! We all chose the same items...Cullen skink (fish soup) and deep fried battered haddock and chips. The Cullen skink was definitely the best I have ever tasted.
The haddock and chips were excellent....but no-one does it as well as Ferryhill House hotel....however, this came a very close second!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your review -- glad the staff looked after you well.

Point taken on the tables (I've seen better days myself !) They've been highlighted in our on-going maintenance.

Glad to know you enjoyed the Cullen Skink, we agree George makes the best that's out there.

As for the fish -- I've got the Ferryhill in my sights!!

Mike