“Nice food pity about the service”

West End Bistro & Bar
Ranked #427 of 665 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Born and raised in the North of Scotland he has a passion for local and British produce which you will see throughout his menu, the bistro has moved towards a 'gastropub' style menu, offering a wide selection of pub favourites, inventively cooked using fresh local ingredients & our brigade of chefs use their knowledge & talent to bring a modern twist to many favourite dishes and with the daily specials there is something for everyone.The bistro menu also offers freshly made sandwiches and Panini’s, salads and lite bites, and don’t forget to leave enough space or enough room for one of our homemade desserts. At the West End Bistro you can enjoy a meal with family, friends, colleagues or business associates in new surroundings.
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Nice food pity about the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

We chose to eat here primarily because of the Spree Book although ended up going for the fixed price menu as it worked out cheaper - 2 courses for £15/3 for £18.

Once I fought my way though the bar and the waiting wedding guests, I reached the restaurant where the waitress didn't seem to have a note of my reservation despite phoning for one but the restaurant was virtually dead (at 7.30pm!) so there wasn’t a problem with getting a table! Despite being in before my companions, I wasn’t offered a drink until they arrived.

I bypassed the starters as I didn't like any of the choices (soup/Thai fishcakes/salad) and went straight to the main course. Again there was a limited choice (Cajun chicken/salmon/vegetarian option) and I went with the chicken while my guests chose the salmon. I asked for the chicken without the salad (not asked if I wanted veg instead) and when it came it was minus the rice too although when I pointed this out to the waiter it was quickly returned and the rice added to my plate. It did taste very nice and every morsel was eaten and likewise my companions lapped up all their salmon.

I was the only one having dessert (others went for starters) and the chocolate torte was very nice although it was served on a warm plate so the ice-cream melted quite quickly.

Whilst the food was nice it’s a pity the service didn't come up to scratch. I don’t know if it was because there was a big wedding on that the restaurant was left short-staffed and I’d have hated to seen how long things would have taken had the restaurant filled up rather than only about one third of the tables being used although one of them did contain a large party.

Nobody was coming to check if we needed drinks, we had to ask someone passing for more and likewise once the main course plates were removed we waited easy 20 mins without nobody approaching us with menu’s for dessert. We reflected the service given in the miserly tip we left as none of us felt like they’d deserved more.

1 Thank ne_quine

Aberdeen
“Gorgeous Steak - just needs a little more atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

I ahve been to the steak house many times and have always really enjoyed the food. The atmoshphere can be lacking sometimes but for larger groups it is great!
Would definately recommend - Steak Diane is gorgeous!!

Glasgow
“Above average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

Menu was quite typical of a hotel chain of this size. A bit overpriced, yet tasty enough without being spectacular. However, the service was very good indeed. The major disappointment was that this hotel advertises the fact that they have attained 2 (yes 2) rosettes for their food. BLOODY NONSENSE, At a push it justifies maybe one! Satisfactory enough if your company expense account is covering.

Midland, Texas
“Good local beef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

While staying at the nearby Skeene House Rosemount, this restaurant was suggested when we asked about trying some Aberdeen beef. My husband and I both had steaks. While they were very tasty, my ribeye was very thin, making it hard to get it at medium temperature.
They listed a special outside, and on some other websites, but told us that it was only good if you stayed at the hotel, which was not clear.
The meal was good but a bit pricey. However, the sticky toffee pudding was incredible. It is highly recommended.

1 Thank MsEditor2