“Didn't even stay a night”

Aberdeen City Centre Hotel
Ranked #45 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were booked in for four nights, but after 30 minutes we decided we couldn't stay even one night. The room was below street level and it was tiny, like a cell, with a 2ft square window looking onto a corrugated tin roof, and consequently very dim. The room was freezing, and we could not get the heating unit to work. It was an air conditioning unit which, even after asking the receptionist to show us how it worked, still only blew out cold air. It made a fearful racket and I would not have been able to sleep with the noise. There was only a small recess for hanging clothes and a couple of hangers, and the two tiny three-drawer knee-high units for all our clothes were very coggly and the drawers would not open. One of the two chairs was broken. The bathroom stank with damp and was very spartanly equipped. The back door to the car park was open to all, with no locks or security. The car park, once you were able to find the access to it, was on a steep hill, off a very fast main road. It had four very tight spaces, not easy to reverse into or out of on a steep hill. Access was via a busy and fast dual-carriageway road, with a dumper truck blocking visibility at the entrance. The breakfast area was as dim and dark as the bedroom with black stone benches to sit on and stone tables to eat off. The only good thing about this hotel was that we were not charged, thanks to Booking.com's intervention, otherwise we would have had to pay a night, even though we did not stay. We went for a meal that night quite near this hotel. Next door, or rather above the bedrooms was a busy vodka bar, and opposite what looked like a night club. Apart from the noise from inside the bar, there were so many people hanging around outside, with drinks in hand and smoking. You would have had to run the gauntlet of that lot to get in the hotel's front door.

Room Tip: Didn't see into any other rooms, but you would need to be a troglodyte to stay here.
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edin51

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for one Friday night, arriving just after 11pm on the offchance there was a room available... the staff on duty were wonderfully helpful. The street entrance belies the quality of the hotel - my room was clean and fresh with everything I needed and the bathroom was amazing! The breakfast (included in the price) was a proper continental breakfast, with meat and cheese as well as the other usual options, and I appreciated the self-service set up as I could totally customise my breakfast. For an Aberdeen hotel the price was very reasonable and the location cannot be beaten if you are staying for a night out in town. Yes, there was noise from a nearby bar but I expected that...
As a bonus, there are the photos of 'Radar' in reception - what a fabulous way to honour what was one of my favourite eateries.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting family, rooms were superb, loved the jacuzzi bath. Great location for city centre bars and restaurants. You only have to go round the corner to find all the shops and shopping malls in Aberdeen city centre.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Thankfully my (£125!) stay here was just for one night. I couldn't have stayed any longer than that. My room was two levels below ground, about 2m x 2m in size, with a barred window that looked out onto a wall! I'm slightly claustrophobic, and this place didn't help.
The bathroom looks impressive from a distance, but once you enter it you find a cleanish bathroom with what I think may be washing up liquid for toiletries and taps and fittings that were close to falling off.
The bedroom area had a TV that was temperamental at best, and only enough reception to get channels 3,4 & 5! With bits of paper and tissues (to name just one element of the lack of cleaning) from a previous guest on the floor the cleaning standards were low. However the only positive - but an important one, was that the bedding was clean (though covered in holes) and the bed was really comfortable. Dueoto the lack of cleanliness I chose not to bother attempting the breakfast in the morning.
It's fair to say I will never stay here again, and would never recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Do not rent a room here! You will not get any sleep as even on a Tuesday there is live music blaring to well after midnight from the bar immediately adjacent. The insensitive, uncaring hotel staff will tell you it's your fault for booking a 'city centre' hotel (although no warnings regarding noise pollution on their website). The dark, drab, dirty rooms are well overdue a revamp, and the rusting bathroom fittings will fall apart when you try to shower! I have absolutely no idea how this place has managed to get any decent reviews (presumably staff faking reports). Do not stay here under any circumstances!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have stayed here twice, both rooms excellent with fantastic big spa baths. Decent Continental breakfast in the morning too. You are right in the centre of old Aberdeen and they have parking spaces at the back. Plenty of local bars and restaurants and staff are helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My friends and I stayed in apartment room number 2 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The beds were comfortable and I thought the rooms were nicely decorated. We were impressed with the kitchen and bathroom facilities (especially the jacuzzi bath!). We had no problems with noise as the bedrooms don't face on to belmont street so we avoided any noise. However, we were out late so if you were going to bed early it may be a different issue but even in the rooms facing belmont st (bathroom and kitchen) I heard nothing.

My only complaint is that I had reserved parking spaces by email and the man who took the booking did not write this in their book. Therefore when we arrived there was no-where to park however this was quickly sorted and the staff who had cars there moved. I think it would be a good idea though to phone the night before and confirm your spaces are reserved if you have booked them. If it hadn't been for this slip up I would of given it 5 stars as it is excellent value for money and so central.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends