“Drab!”

Ranked #16 of 108 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
Elgin, Scotland
“Drab!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My personal opinion is that this hotel is in need of a complete refurb of it's rooms, they are horrible from the dark furniture to the tacky pictures on the wall. The seats were stained, the carpet was stained and the bathroom was tiny. We had to ask for towels, glasses and extra pillows, all basics! The sheets on the bed were clean but the bedspread had certainly seen better days and it actually looked grubby, the first thing I did was take it off the bed! Our room overlooked a brick wall and felt depressing and gloomy! If it had not been for the fact we were visiting friends and didn't really need to spend that much time in the room, I probably wouldn't have stayed. We were offered another room but it was just as depressing.
On the upside the menu was varied, some of the items I thought were overpriced but the food was good. I thought the drinks were a bit overpriced even for Aberdeen. I think because it is the only hotel in this area it does tend to have the monopoly. Mostly the staff were plesant.I agree with another reviewer that this is not a Hotel it is a pub renting out rooms.

Room Tip: Ours was room 14 so avoid that one if you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Went for a walk on Sunday afternoon with the dog and fancied a pint afterwards so went into the public bar. "Sorry, no animals allowed" I was told. "Company policy". I could see the point if I had been in the restaurant, but the public bar ? So not a dog friendly pub.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Dave P

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Nice little B&B over looking the North Sea. Room was comfortable and the bathroom very clean. Breakfast was very nice too. Didn't have chance to sample the in house restaurant due to it being very busy, so had to eat out. If you're looking to stay in the area for 1 or 2 nights, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Arrived here at 2.30 today to find its actually a pub renting out rooms and not a hotel. When we arrived we were told we would have to w as it as room wasn't ready yet even although we booked and paid from 2pm Sat until 11am Monday. We got in our room at 3pm!!!

Dining area where you stand waiting smells of b.on. gross!!! Front hall smells dreadful of smoke. We are not sure we will have breakfast here if it station's like that in morning. I don't want to but husband bit more patient to the smell than me.
The room itself apart from maybe not being as clear as should be and furniture old white h don't bother me are not to bad. The bad point is if you bellowed hard enough on the door the lock would burst. Am also not keen on the narrow corridors to get to your room. I imagine bit scary at night if on own.

The good point at min I can see is huge telly in room and can see the sea a little from my room. Am little concerned that with it being a pub may be noisy later tonight. Am gutted as we could have booked premiure inn for a little cheaper like we normally would however we thought to go for nice little hotel for a change. Mistake on our part.

There will be others who like this hotel but a pub trying to pretend to be a hotel is not my idea of fun as a non drinker.

Room Tip: It's hard to give a tip as its complicated. Some rooms have ensuites ans some are shared. Be sur...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kath m
wales,uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel to attend a birthday party and wedding and it was just the ticket. The views from the room spanned across the coast, it was like being abroad. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was second to none. True it could do with refurbishment but at these prices you get what you pay for and if it's only for a few days small defects don't really matter. If you want more towels or pillows you only have to ask. The restaurant was full every night not only with people staying there but with people from far and wide, such is it's reputation for good food.
This hotel also has excellent car parking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank niblo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel was just perfect for a recent business trip. The room was simple and clean. Unfortunately I didn't have a sea view but I wasn't in the room that much anyway. Would highly recommend this place and would quite happily come back with other half for a break away. The restaurant within the hotel was fantastic too. I ate there both for lunch and evening meal. The food was good quality and excellent portions. Staff also extremely friendly

Room Tip: Ask for sea view will be much brighter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Decided to dine here on the spur of the moment last week on Tuesday night. We were very surprised at how busy the restaurant was but we were greeted by a smiling gentleman who assured us they could seat us no problem. We waited a few moments until they set a table for us.

The menu is fairly varied and priced extremely well. My husband and I both opted for the fish and chips which was absolutely delicious. The fish was huge and on hindsight one portion between us would have probably been sufficient.

As we were both feeling rather full we opted not to have a dessert however, the longer we sat chatting, we saw other people getting their desserts so we decided we would indulge. I had the sticky toffee pudding with ice cream and my husband had the bread and butter pudding. They were both delicious.

Service by all staff was very good and I would highly recommend this restaurant for either casual dining or for a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elledee2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
#1 of 108 in Aberdeen
Wellington Hotel
Wellington Hotel
#33 of 108 in Aberdeen

Been to Cove Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!