“THE PERFECT SHOP OVER”

Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Inverness, United Kingdom
“THE PERFECT SHOP OVER”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Traveled to aberdeen on the train from inverness , the absolute perfect place to stay ,right in union square undercover all the way .paid £110 for room for myself and my wife ,included was £ 50 shopping voucher to spend in union sq even at restaurants ,exellent value exellent hotel exellent location .

Room Tip: Higher you go the more you see and probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank david186543

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Karmsund
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen one night in March. This was a 2 days business trip so I did not spend much time in the hotel. However the room was clean, the bed quite good and I slept well.

I had some trouble adjusting the temperature of the room and the same with the fan speed, was either too hot or it was too cold.

The location of the hotel is perfect though, right next to a shopping mall that also contain a lot of restaurants.

The service in the reception was friendly and quite effective.

Prices for hotel rooms in Aberdeen are high, I paid 170 GBP for a standard single room and breakfast was not included. Neither was wifi which they charged at 5 GBP per hour. They should offer free wifi when the price for the room is as high as 170 GBP.

The next morning I paid 9 GBP for breakfast. The breakfast was ordinary and even though I was there early both the orange juice dispenser and the apple juice dispenser was empty so only water was available at that moment.

All in all an ordinary hotel situated in a perfect location and priced too high.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Nothing much to say, negative or positive, just your run of the mill chain type hotel. No character etc but nothing to offend.

Location is excellent, bar is nice and food acceptable.

Wouldnt rush back in a hurry nor would actively steer clear

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night before a work conference; the location is great, being right beside the train station and encompassed within a large mall which included a good variety of restaurants and shops. Very easy to reach if travelling by public transport, and plenty of parking if you decide to drive.

The staff are very friendly and helpful; I had pre-booked an accessible room with a walk in shower but had been allocated a standard room; this was very quickly resolved. Instead of eating at the hotel, we opted to eat at one of the restaurants outside in the mall; however I did have breakfast and, although I didn't try any of the cooked items, there was certainly plenty of variety. In all Jurys Inns the breakfast is self service; you have to make absolutely everything yourself, including tea/coffee and toast - not as easy as you think if you are disabled and walk with a stick! Also, they do not do room service and as it's impossible to carry a tray of food with one hand, that is another reason we opted to eat out.

My only gripe with this stay was that the bed was too hard for me; I don't mind a firm mattress but this was hard, thin and cheap, with a solid base, no springs, no give. The hardness of the mattress meant I didn't get a good sleep and woke up with an aching back and painful knee; however on the plus side, the pillows were very comfortable.

On the whole I would recommend this hotel; it's friendly, reasonably priced and has a convenient city centre location. Also has good sound proofing as I had a street facing room but traffic noise did not disturb me at all.

Nottingham
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Consistent brand hotel and very similar to other Jurys properties stayed at (Derby, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham etc). Centrally situated adjacent to Union Square shopping centre and train station - entrance is actually inside the shopping centre on the 1st floor, next to eating establishments;Nandos, Gourmet Burger Co etc, so lots of choice. Great welcome from Patrick-Trainee; this guy had a genuine welcome and persona about him and will go far! Room fine though would like to see Wi-fi and more TV channels included if I'm being fussy. Not the greatest fan of Jurys breakfasts as completely self serve down to getting your own tea and coffee, but this is just me being picky!
Would go back in what is a very competative market in Aberdeen

Good lively bar and consistent staff (cleaners, maintenance etc) who all acknowledge you and seem to have that feel good factor.

All in all - relatively inexpensive, good facilites, well managed/motivated staff and good location.

1 Thank phileasfoggtmc
N. Ireland
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in Jury's Hotel for two nights over the Valentines weekend. We didn't exactly choose the hotel, but had it recommended to us, as a convenient place to stay, when over for a family wedding on the Saturday. A number of our family connection were all staying there, so it was good to meet up with them. When we arrived , we were greeted by a very pleasant young man called Roland, who made us very welcome and inquired if we had been to the hotel or Aberdeen before and sorted out our bookings as we had pre-booked 3 rooms. A more senior member of staff did warn us that we may have 'noise' during the night, as it was weekend time, and may be people coming in late from parties!! I was not quite prepared though, for a yelling and banging match that started at approx. 1.30 am somewhere outside our door. I did not open the door to look as I was frightened, and my heart was racing. It sounded SO violent, that I feared our door would get hammered next. I did hear something breaking, and it sounded like a male and female were having a BIG argument. It eventually settled down after about 20 minutes, and I eventually managed to get back to sleep..... not great when I had to be up early next morning for a hairdressing appointment before the wedding. My daughter who was in the room next door to us was also wakened by the disturbance.

Besides that, our room was spotless clean, and the breakfast was buffet style and very ample. The most convenient thing of all was the fact that the hotel doorway opened directly into a large shopping mall, which was brilliant. I had booked a hair appointment at a Salon in the shopping centre, so it was great to not even have to go outside from hotel right to my appointment and back again..... especially if you don't want your hair-do ruined in blustery weather.!!

We were sorry we didn't have longer to spend exploring the city, and it would be good to go back again.

The only other downside to staying here is the difficulty parking. We stopped outside the shopping centre entrance, but am not sure that you are officially allowed to stop there. My daughter and I jumped out while the men folk went and parked the car in the multi storey car park, but then you have to trail cases and bags quite a distance to the hotel. It would appear that that is the only parking available for the hotel, and it is obviously charged by the hour.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms on the 3rd floor are quieter....... pity we hadn't been allocated rooms up...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Nice hotel booked through booking.com got a good deal we had a superior room on the seventh floor the view was beautiful, check in took a while due to a faulty card machine but staff dealt with it efficiently enough hotel was spotless breakfast okay but not great bacon and sausages was hard with laying on hot plate choice was okay as well but no mushrooms and unlike other hotels you had to help yourself to tea or cofee wich isnt really a big issue!! Fantastic location for shopping and plenty eatries in union square i will be returning to this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple