“Great location, comfortable and clean”
Review of Jurys Inn Aberdeen

Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Great location, comfortable and clean”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We have stayed in this hotel many times when travelling. The location is brilliant with it being in the middle of Union Square, a shopping centre with lots of decent restaurants. It is bang in the middle of the bus and train station, including the airport bus. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff are helpful when help is needed. During our last stay, the heating was not working. We called reception and it was sorted within 10 minutes.

The breakfast was decent for this type of hotel.
One of the less favourable reviews described it as a soul-less place. It's a great place to stay if you are passing through, on business or for a weekend shopping in Aberdeen. If he wants character and luxury, then he should go somewhere else and pay for it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AminaSor
Philip R, Manager at Jurys Inn Aberdeen, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review on your stay with us here at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen, and also thank you for commenting on a previous less favourable review. We try to cater for a varied rage of travellers.

When you are looking to return to Aberdeen in the future please do let me know as I would like to look after your booking personally and arrange a complimentary upgrade. I would also like to get you a drink in our bar on your next visit so please do let me know.

philip_rankin@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The benefits of the Jury's Inn are obvious to anyone arriving by train! You do not even need to leave the station buildings, really. Straight into Union Square Shopping Centre and one floor up in the lift; not well signposted, though, so you need to keep your eyes peeled for the small "hotel" signs around the station exit.
What is not so obvious, however, is one of the down sides of the hotel which is that the rooms to the rear of the building face over the flat roof of the shopping mall. Now whilst that means that they face south and give a remarkable view of dawn rising over Aberdeen Harbour, it also means that they face out across a whole host of air-conditioning and heat exchange units that serve the premises in Union Square. On a night the last of the main units appears to shut off at about 2330hrs but a couple of the smaller ones keep going all night and some of them kick off again at about 0730hrs in the a/m.
Now, a lot of folks will not be bothered by them but I am a light sleeper and although I was on the sixth floor they were a bit of a pain as far as I was concerned and my first night's sleep was bad as a result. Nonetheless, the staff of Jury's wee great. The hotel was not busy and they moved me to the a room at the front without hesitation and even offered assistance to shift my gear, which I manfully declined! That room was much quieter and gave lovely views across teh roofs of the Granite City.
I must emphasise that I am not complaining about this situation; it is a matter of fact given the design of the building and probably bothers very few of the guests that stay at this hotel. As ever with Jury's, in my experience, the bedrooms were fine and the staff were superb. Breakfast is good but I would not have wanted to pay £10.95 for it as a separate item. Free wifi and courteous, helpful service in a hotel that is ideally situated for the train station and city centre. Certainly somewhere I shall stay again but in my case I will order a room at the front of the hotel when booking. By Aberdeen standards, the cost was OK (£134 for the Thursday night; £70 for the Friday night) and there are a host of places to eat in Union Square and a lot of good pubs and restaurants within ten minutes walk.
I will stay there again. I have rated the sleep quality as "poor" but that only relates to my first night and I have explained that my views may be idiosyncratic; other folks may not be so bothered by the aircon noise.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing onto the main street, preferably on a higher floor...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review on your stay with us here at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I wish to inform you that we are in talks with Union Square regarding the noise issue that you experienced whilst staying with us. On a more positive note I was delighted to read all of your positive comments regarding the team, cleanliness and the location.

When you are looking to return to Aberdeen in the future please do let me know as I would like to look after your booking personally and arrange a complimentary upgrade and a room on the front of the building.

Alexandria, Scotland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Christmas night as our son was working in Aberdeen and we wanted to spend christmas with him. Booked a family room as there was 3 of us and it was very nice. Room was freezing when we went in which was not so good. Managed to get heating working after noticing window was open and that was one of the reasons room was not heating up. Bathroom was freezing, they could do with a heated towel rail or radiator in the bathroom. Breafast next day was ok, nothing to write home about. Location of hotel was great, right next to Union Square Shopping Centre, bus and train station and was only 5 minutes away from where our son was working.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review on the recent stay with us at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I have shared your comments with the team here and they were all very happy with them.

When you are looking to return to Aberdeen please let me know and I will be delighted to look after your booking personally.

Gosforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We enjoyed a few days at the hotel just after New Year and used as a base to explore Aberdeen. The location is excellent; a "stones throw" from the Railway Station, but not affected by any noise. It also leads straight into the new Union Square Shopping Centre with a great choice of places to eat. The room was clean, warm and comfortable. Breakfast was enjoyable, with plenty of choice of hot and cold and even champagne on offer.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

If your idea of a good hotel is to arrive in a city by train, walk straight out of the station on to an escalator and then right in the front door without ever stepping outside, then Jurys Inn in Aberdeen fits the bill. Three of us stayed in two rooms for one night in November to attend an event in the city. Booking by telephone (why do so many websites struggle when you ask them to book two rooms?) was slightly surreal. After checking my requirements and other details, the receptionist confirmed availability and price and started to take payment details. Part way through, she apologised for the fact that someone else had just sold the rooms she was about to book for us and she would need to check whether alternative rooms (that is, identical ones!) would still be available at the price she had quoted. Fortunately (for them, not me), it was agreed by a manager that the quoted price would be honoured.

It is a very good hotel, immaculate and well-maintained. The rooms are spotless and some of them have superb city views from great height. The staff are excellent. But, for significantly less money, you could have the same quality in scores of hotels across the country. The room furnishings are very good but there was not a single drawer for clothes - is everyone expected to stay for just one night and live out of a suitcase? The breakfast was buffet style - make your own toast - and the range and quality was fine but again, nothing special and certainly nothing which is not equalled in hundreds of other establishments at far less cost.

Aberdeen inevitably trades on its position and economic situation to charge high rates and Jurys is no exception. While it is a very good hotel, it is doubtful whether it represents value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review on your stay with us here at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I was very please to read that you felt that the hotel was immaculate and well maintained. This is something that our maintenance and housekeeping teams work so hard for. I was also happy that we were able to over come the slight issue at the booking stage.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

So far we have stayed twice at this hotel, once at the end of October and again at the end of November.

On both occasions the staff have been efficient and friendly.

The room we had during our first stay we believe was an upgraded corner room with a superb view over the entrance to union square. During our second stay we had a room facing over the bus station. Both rooms were clean and tidy, although the upgraded room was slightly bigger-however on comparison the 'standard' rooms at Jurys are more than adequate.

The only slight issue we had during our first stay was a rude awakening at 8am by housekeeping, which we mentioned on departure, however by placing the 'do no disturb' sign on the door during our second visit this did not happen again.

Breakfast is a buffet, with a great selection of hot and cold food. I was delighted to see Jurys serve vegetarian sausages (something I haven't found very often on my travels-and a lovely treat! Thank you).

The location of the hotel is superb for those wishing to shop, dine or even visit local bars in the surrounding area. The hotel has a restaurant, however with all the restaurants in union square, adjoined to the hotel, you are spoilt for choice!

All in all it's a super hotel which we will continue to return to in future.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on your stay with us here at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I was delighted that you have returned to us again as we love to see regular guests. We have spent a lot of time trying to decide what would go best on our buffet for breakfast and certainly the vegetarian sausages are very popular so we are delighted that this pleases you.

Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I visited this hotel on New Year's Eve and it was also my friends 21st. We had been to Aberdeen plenty of times before and a few of us go to uni there so we knew our way around. I had never stayed in Jurys Inn Aberdeen before and after this visit I will definitely be back. As it was hogmany we received a free complementary drink each on arrival and we were checked in my Emma who was lovely and chatty. We weren't once spoken down too because we were only ages 20-21 and I felt very welcomed. We were also given complementary champagne for my friends birthday. The rooms were a large size and very clean and the lifts were huge fitting all 7 from our party in them as well as our luggage! I would definitely recommend this hotel for all trips from business to family and for friendly getaways its perfect for everyone, very inviting and right in the centre of Aberdeen.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kjf_x
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on your stay with us here at the Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I was delighted reading your review and this has been shared with the whole team and also displayed in our staff restaurant. Both my front office manager and I were delighted with your comments regarding Emma, who is one of our rising stars here. We reward all our team members who provide the level of exceptional service that stands out enough for customers to mention their names.